Recommend me a game with a great story

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
HardkorSB said:
If you like jRPGs, try Parasite Eve.
It's a horror themed jRPG made by Squaresoft between FF7 and FF8 with an interesting story, a fun battle system and a weapon modification system that will give you hours of fun.
second vote for parasite eve. Even though i'm the absolute opposite of a horrorgame fan, due to it's familiar controls owing to my playtime in ff8, i never had to stop playing to change my pants. And the story/visuals are quite nice.

Dear Esther, this is a visual short(1hour) story, but it's stunningly beautiful and atmospheric and you'll get a playthrough or 3 in to figure out exactly what happened. it is, i'll state again, extremely short.

Alice : madness returns. Some will hark on this game for ,what seem to me, futile reasons. But it's a dark gothic game, and the combat is fun! Story flits inbetween alice in wonderland, and her stay at the psychiatrist's office.

Sherlock Holmes : crimes and punishment. Sherlock holmes game that revolves around you making all the deductions instead of connecting the dots to form the perfectly straight line. It is absolutely possible to get it wrong, and face the repercussions of sending a killer free. If you discipline yourself not to reload before your final conclusion at each case, you'll have a great time. I absolutely adore this game, but that might be cause of my infatuation with the character

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
You know, it might be a little off your radar but Walking Dead Season 1 is really good. I've only played the first episode personally (I'll get to the rest of it soon I swear!) but I've heard from pretty much everyone on the planet that it's amazing, better than the show and the comic.

Also, if you haven't, you should play Portal. It'll take up 4 hours of your time tops and it's a masterpiece of minimalist storytelling.

Both these recommendations come from a person who was never that into zombies to begin with (and is now sick to death of them) and isn't a particular fan of minimalism. Portal is just that good.

Also chalk up another vote for both Planescape: Torment and Legend of Dragoon. You can get P:T from GoG and LoD from the PlayStation store (I have it on my PS3).

If you like P:T you may also want to check out the Baldur's Gate games. WAY better combat than P:T, and if the story isn't as good it's pretty damn awesome anyway. That's definitely classic D&D fantasy though so you're forewarned.

Additionally, if you REALLY want a good story? Go read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson, The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, and the Parables series by Ovtavia Butler. Also go read EVERYTHING by Robin Hobb. Never will you be so interested in a character doing domestic chores for 200 pages. That woman is a mad genius. Also Hyperion by Dan Simmons (the rest of the series you can take or leave.) Also also The Black Company by Glen Cook. Also also also The Bone Doll's Twin (and following books) by Llyn Flewelling. ... ... I could do this all night, but Ima stop now (GO READ EVERYTHING BY CAROL BERG!!!!) no really Ima stop.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Neverwinter Nights 2's Mask of the Betrayer expansion was amazing. The core campaign wasn't as exceptional, but was still okay.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition
Portal 1 and 2
Half Life series

Try those out if you haven't already.

Daniel Mayer

Aug 31, 2012
Another vote for Planescape: Torment. I'd also support Vampire Bloodlines with the patches to fix functionality in the game. The story is pretty awesome. I'm honestly surprised to not see KotOR 1 and 2. Those two are absolutely amazing and are a must play in my opinion. Besides, you already have the two titles Bioware did right after on your list. May as well play KotOR, meatbag...

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
The Last of Us.

I thought the story / characters were absolutely fantastic. Gameplay, not so much. But the story is really well-written.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon, but Planescape: Torment. Best story I've ever encountered in any medium (book, movie, VG, etc.). Just an incredible game.

Recommendation: it's a game where intelligence, charisma, and (especially) wisdom are more important than strength, dexterity, and endurance.

cdfgku

Jan 2, 2015
You ladies and gents are amazing and I'm loving all the suggestions. Thank you.

I admit quite a few of the suggestions I have already played (the KOTORs, Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines, Witcher 1, the Bioshocks, the Portals, Alpha Protocol, Bastion, the later Elder Scrolls, Last of Us, Binary Domain, Dust: An Elysian Tail, etc)

I didn't get on so well with Witcher 1 or Vampire Masquerade. I was enjoying both and put in quite a few hours on them but got a little bored near the end and stopped. Witcher 1 I just wasn't that fussed with the story and gave up just as I arrived on the last chapter. VM:B I was enjoying but the game seemed to go quite heavily combat oriented nearer the end and I'm not sure if I hadn't built a good character for that or the combat wasn't great but it stopped working for me. Bioshock Infinite I enjoyed but personally felt the combat sections went on a bit too long rather than them being paced throughout, if that makes sense.

I enjoyed the rest a lot, especially Alpha Protocol which seems very underrated in my opinion. If anyone else fancies a recommendation, I'd suggest that. Also two other recommendations despite not really being big on story are Dust: An Elysian Tail and Aquaria. I thought both had enjoyable gameplay and great voice acting (even the comic relief sidekick in Dust seemed well done and didn't seem annoying). Dust is absolutely beautiful and Aquaria has an astounding soundtrack.

Back on topic: I also already have Witcher 2 (I was skeptical after 1 but a mate assures me it is awesome), Walking Dead Season 1 and Dark Souls 1.

So new ones on the list:

Planescape: Torment (sounds like this is a must)
Persona 3 or 4
Silent Hill 2 (I know I lose all geek points by not having played this yet)
Legend of Dragoon
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
Crono Cross

Now to see how many I can get on the PC as my g/f is using the PS3. :-(

Again thanks very much for all the suggestions, I really sppreciate it.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Well, just going to say that even though I never got far in Planescape: Torment because I made a very poor decision early on, it's story is flat amazing. When they say don't annoy the Abishai in that one section of town next to the bar...they mean it. They really do. I figured the whole being immortal thing would just mean worst case scenario, he kills me and I come back and don't mess with him anymore. Not the case. He's permanently hostile and totally unkillable. That entire area is just me running away in fear like a little girl from the demon I tried to speak to in its native language I didn't know.

Basically, only a few hours in, and I love the setting, the story, the people, the characters, the encounter with the mystical personification of the letter O. But I really did hate the gameplay. I found it obtuse and frustrating. I often found just moving around to be a hassle. Most of the time, I didn't feel like I was playing a game so much as taking part in a very detailed interactive novel.

You may very well enjoy The Legend of Dragoon, I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad game, but I should warn you up front it is TERRIBLY translated. It was my first real RPG when I was a kid, so I'll always love it despite the grammar errors and engrish. The story itself is pretty good with ancient horrors rising and a lot of talk about what is and isn't a utopia. The combat system is a lot of fun since most every attack is essentially a rhythm challenge, some of which will feel stupidly hard at first, but eventually you'll want to facepalm every time you miss one. It's also not that well balanced if you know what you're doing. Your characters can be insanely broken and trivialize the entire game if you know how to gear and effectively farm gold (Not actually simple, you risk constant total party kill).

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
cdfgku said:
Have you played FF10 and FF9? If you liked FF7 I think you'll like them. FF 9 is a bit more lighthearted overall but it's still got plenty of depth and drama, and great aesthetics. FF10 has a few tropes and cheesiness like FF7 but if you can get passed the sometimes poor voice acting it's got a great story. And both games have lots of side stories to explore just like FF7 did. FF7 had chocobo raising, FF9 has a card game, and FF10 has blitzball, celestial weapons to find and power up, the battle arena, secret aeons which break the damage limit to find, lots of stuff. It's been a while since I played FF9 so all I remember is the card game, but I'm almost done replaying FF10 now and it just gets deeper the further you dig. And it all ties back into the story somehow.

Anyway, just to back up what others have said, Portal, Half-Life (you can start at HL2 and be fine if you don't want to play through HL1, though it hasn't aged too badly considering and there are plenty of HD mods of it), Walking Dead, Bioshock series (1 and Infinite are the only ones I've played and they are the best, at least the way I understand), Bastion. Ico might be your cup of tea as well, though it wasn't mine (it rather annoyed me how helpless the girl you're dragging along is, and how you are LITERALLY dragging her along like she's a sack of flour or something. I felt no sympathy or desire to protect her, but others feel differently).

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
After Xenogears go play the Xenosaga trilogy, because the sci fi is really good and it has nice characters.

Also play the Metal Gear Solid saga for its memorable moments and stealth gameplay.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Many people recommend Planescape, but I'd like to throw in 2 other Infinity Engine games: Baldur's Gate and it's sequel, Baldur's Gate II. They both have enhanced editions that make playing on modern systems much better. Baldur's Gate has much better gameplay than Planescape, the pacing is a lot better and gives you a lot more freedom in how you choose to play. The story in the first one is decent enough to get you through and has a lot of twists and turns but the second game is very enjoyable as the companions are more fleshed out and really great to play with.

If you can find it, look for a PS1 game called "Shadow Madness", don't expect good gameplay, in fact I wouldn't recommend it for any other reason than the story. The gameplay isn't broken or bugged, it's just bland and uninteresting and is like a toned down version of Final Fantasy VII. Where the game shines is the amazing story, I don't know what it is about it but the atmosphere of the game, the characters, and the plot are really well put together and just make for a really fun adventure unlike anything else I've experienced. It's a JRPG done American style (it was made by an American Company)

While we're on the topic of PS1 RPGs, while I also recommend Suikoden II as another person meotioned, also get Jade Cocoon. It has been called "a more adult Poke'mon" and while this is accurate as you do capture and breed monsters, the story is also really great. The world is very interesting and it has a serious story that at times goes a little dark but is great to play through. There's an old storyteller in the village that will tell you tales of many of the world's characters and past events through really cool cutscenes. The whole game is also fully voice acted which is quite unique for a PS1 game.

Sep 14, 2009
cdfgku said:
Back on topic: I also already have Witcher 2 (I was skeptical after 1 but a mate assures me it is awesome),
The witcher 2 takes the combat from the first game and completely scraps it in favor of a MUCH more polished action rpg. (all for the better, I promise.) I also feel like the story is alot tighter (not linear..but everything you do seems to build it up more and more, which is great for pacing in my opinion.)

I had a friend who usually NEVER plays rpg's because he thinks they are too slow/boring, and didn't play the witcher 1, but ended up loving the shit out of the witcher 2.

not to overhype it, but it's worth going through.