Recommend me a PC game.

Icingdeath

Aug 21, 2009
So I have finally have a decent computer for gaming purposes (after my last one broke) and was looking for recomendations for games.

Right now I have Minecraft and Starcraft 2. I plan on getting Starcraft 1 and Portal 2 (alreay have it for X-Box but want to try some custom levels) and plan on getting a Steam account.

I'm a big shooter fan, and have been getting into RTS's, puzzles, platformers, even give me some indie games in their.
The only genres I have reservations about are horror and most RPG's. I'm a massive coward and I find most RPG's be too slow paced to keep my attention.
Also, I'm still going to do most of my gaming on my X-Box so I'm looking for mainly PC exclusives.

So bear all that in mind and give me your best shot. Thanks.

EDIT: A lot of you are mentioning some games I already have so I'll put some of them here:

Bioshock 1&2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
All Valve games except HL 1 and TF 2, both of which I will get
Tried Fallout 3 and Oblivion, didn't like them
Mass Effect 1&2
Crysis 2

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Play Commandos one and laugh at the hilarious voice acting. "Finally some action" *Gets shot to death several times over*

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Get on Steam and download Team Fortress 2. It's Free to play so there's really no excuse not to.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
If you're into RTS's you can't go to wrong with the Total War series. If your PC can handle it, the new one, Shogun 2, is fantasic. Great fun. If not, Rome Total War is also very very good. Old but still holds up today.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I personally say Oblivion or Fallout 3/New Vegas. Why? They're pretty cheap by this point, and MODS ARE AMAZING THINGS. Seriously, do not underestimate a modding community.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
*Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal
Counter-Strike 1.6/Source
BioShock/2
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Fallout 1/2/3
*Psychonauts
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (VERY challenging)
DOOM/Quake (old, but great; truly great)

and some good indie games:
Audiosurf
Machinarium
Amnesia
Super Meat Boy
Trine
*World of Goo

*highly recommended

all these games can be found on STEAM, by the way

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
i want to reinforce what LobsterFeng said. there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER you should not have Team Fortress 2 at this point. even if it was still $15, as a Steam user TF2 should be your FIRST purchase.

Half Life 2 is obvious, Civ5 (one of the best RTSs around), AudioSurf if you're a PC (imagine RockBand with cars instead of instruments your your own soundtrack), Psychonauts, Torchlight is a good dungeon crawler (hold of on this one till Torchlight2 comes out), Penumbra and Amnesia: DarkDescent (good survival horror games), Red Orchestra 2 is pretty good (especially since they fixed the bugs), Bioshock (fantastic story driven FPS), steam also has some free-to-play games that are worth checking out.

*edit*
i almost forgot my favorite series ever: Fallout.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Civilization 5. Seriously, I've clocked in 387 hours on that damn thing. If you want a good PC only game, look no further than the Civilization series.

EDIT: I know this is making me Nazi, but Civilization 5 is a Turn-based strategy game, not an RTS.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Try ArmA2, if your PC can handle it.
By ArmA2 I mean Operation Arrowhead, the native game without it is pretty lacking in a few areas, and is actually a lot harder to run due to plant density and such.

It's a Realistic (capital R) combat sim game, a shot in the chest and you're probably dead, a shot in the arms and it's a lot harder to aim, a shot in the legs and you can't walk.

It's a lot less fast paced than more mainstream, arcadey shooters, but you'll get thrills when rounds are flying past you, narrowly missing you, often from enemies you can't even see at first.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
No horror and no RPGs, huh? I was going to say STALKER: Call of Pripyat, great shooter, but it's got a bit of both those genres in it.

So I'll second this one instead:
HassEsser said:
Machinarium
Awesome indie point&click adventure game.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
NewYork_Comedian said:
Civilization 5. Seriously, I've clocked in 387 hours on that damn thing. If you want a good PC only game, look no further than the Civilization series.

EDIT: I know this is making me Nazi, but Civilization 5 is a Turn-based strategy game, not an RTS.
Not sure why people like that game... I find it incredibly dull.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Anything Valve made.

But I would wait until Winter for the Steam Winter Sale, you can get it around 75% off.

Icingdeath

Aug 21, 2009
Not nescessarily "no RPG's", just something that will grab my attention.
I know I'm gonna get some hate for this (I sure do from my friends) but Oblivion and Fallout 3, tried them both and couldn't get past the first couple hours of either of them. I just found them soooooo boring I just couldn't go any farther.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Some good games mentioned already.... hmmm, agree with most: Half Life, Stalker, Total War, BioShock and Fallout are all fantastic!

FPS:
Metro 2033: Not the best FPS you'll ever play, but it is just dripping in atmosphere! Sure, the combat is a bit ropey at times and the stealth sections suck, but it is one of the most enthralling FPS I ever played.

Team Fortress: One of the best balanced M/P FPS around. Its Free! Get it!

The Chronicles of Riddick:Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena: Rock hard, but very rewarding. Some of the best stealth/action pacing I have ever seen in a FPS.

RTS:
World in Conflict: Great story line and great graphics. Maybe not the most tactical of strategy games, but you'll not care when you're fire bombing the Russians! This game is all about managing off map resources (bombers, arty, mortars, ect) and has the best landscape damage model I've ever seen in a RTS.

The Dawn of War Games: Both DoW 1 and 2 and all their expansion packs are worthy of your time. Frantic, bloody, noisy war every step of the way. Great visual style and a great world to play in.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
HerrBobo said:
Some good games mentioned already.... hmmm, agree with most: Half Life, Stalker, Total War, BioShock and Fallout are all fantastic!

FPS:
Metro 2033: Not the best FPS you'll ever play, but it is just dripping in atmosphere! Sure, the combat is a bit ropey at times and the stealth sections suck, but it is one of the most enthralling FPS I ever played.

Team Fortress: One of the best balanced M/P FPS around. Its Free! Get it!

The Chronicles of Riddick:Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena: Rock hard, but very rewarding. Some of the best stealth/action pacing I have ever seen in a FPS.

RTS:
World in Conflict: Great story line and great graphics. Maybe not the most tactical of strategy games, but you'll not care when you're fire bombing the Russians! This game is all about managing off map resources (bombers, arty, mortars, ect) and has the best landscape damage model I've ever seen in a RTS.

The Dawn of War Games: Both DoW 1 and 2 and all their expansion packs are worthy of your time. Frantic, bloody, noisy war every step of the way. Great visual style and a great world to play in.
I must be the only one to think Riddick was utter shit.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Icingdeath said:
I'm a big shooter fan
Then get all games by Kenta Cho [http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html]. People also praise the Touhou Project games, so look into that as well.