Recommend me an underrated album.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
underrated albums? try anything by the slackers but specifically, wasted days. awesome through and through.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
You started the thread to find albums/bands you never heard of so here's some americana for you, you don't sound like you listen to stuff like this already:

I love the whole album, perhaps that's just because I don't usually listen to anything of the similar genre but I still think they're great.

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
The Boxer Rebellion. All of the albums. I literally hear nothing about this amazing band, and that saddens me. Give it a listen. Their songs are pretty mellow and can be clinically depressing, but,nevertheless, genius.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Happy Sad by Tim Buckley, Jeff is who everyone knows but Tim was a brilliant songwriter and singer. Superior, senior and sadder.

Super Session with Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills, A great collaboration between Kooper and Bloomfield with Stephen Stills helping out on side two after the junk took hold of Bloomfield, a cracking version of Season of the Witch by Stills highlights his side and shows he was no slouch when it came to guitar slinging.

GP by Gram Parsons, Ok you are probably the only person to underrate this album with your sweeping generalisations but this is a pure joy to listen to.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Court of the Crimson King. Not sure if it's a forgotten album but if you haven't listened to it before you should.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
1. Ayreon. Greatest Prog rock opera project ever.

2. Blood Ceremony. Awesome metal/sludge rock band in the style of Zepplin & Sabbath with an excellent Pat Benatar soundalike on the mic.

3. Psychostick. The greatest funk metal/metalcore/comedy band that will ever exist...even if you consider slipknot to be a joke. Which they are.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
IncredibleTurnip said:
The Five Ghosts by STARS is great.
I love Stars and The Five Ghosts is probably my favorite one of their albums.

As for me, I'm not sure what counts as "an underrated album" since I'm kind of music noob, but two of my favorites are The Postal Service's Give Up and Social Distortion's Sex, Love, and Rock 'n Roll.

mrhockey220

Apr 20, 2009
If you like punk music check this album out:

The Sincerest Form of Flattery by Stick up Kid

They are from my hometown

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
MellowFellow said:
I will recommend Streetlight Manifesto, one of my favorite bands. All of their albums are great, imo. Here is a song from their first album Everything Goes Numb, it is called Point/Counterpoint
Piggybacking off of ska punk, I'm going to recommend Less Than Jake. As far as "underrated" goes, I guess their album In With the Out Crowd would be it. But I don't really know. And because I never miss an opportunity to plug them, here's Man on Earth. (They have a new album coming out in October!)

tomservo4prezident

Mar 12, 2010
"Pop Heiress" by Chainsaw Kittens.

Both of Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works" albums.

Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg (at least in North America).

The Execution Of All Things by Rilo Kiley.

Burning Farm by Shonen Knife.

The MadWorld Soundtrack, populated by numerous great indie rappers.

And then to steal from above comments, I would also recommend Streetlight Manifesto's Everything Goes Numb and Keasbey Nights as well as Busdriver's Temporary Forever.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
@OP - Grace by Jeff Buckley is hardly underrated nor forgotten. Pretty much every make out session I've had with girls started with them putting on Grace.
Guys might not know about it but girls sure do.

My pics would be:
- Team Teamwork's remixes, especially the game related remixes.
- The Avalanches / Since I Left You
- Athenaeum / Radiance
- Atmosphere / Seven's Travels
- Best Coast / Crazy for You
- Just a Band / 82
- Placebo / Without You I'm Nothing (and the self titled album)
- The Rugburns / Morning Wood
- Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach / Money Jungle
- Slowdive / Souvlaki
- Anything by Thelonius Monk, but to be fair he's really hard to get into. Even if you like Jazz, he's still an acquired taste
- Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

I could probably name some more obscure stuff if I really thought about it but I think that's a good enough list for one post.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I don't know if it's underrated or not but you should check out Selfish Machines by Pierce the Veil. It's a great cd.

Here's 2 songs off it for ya:

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I highly recommend the album "Human Zoo" by Gotthard. It has some catch up-beat songs a couple of the best ballads you'll ever hear.

I'm gonna miss Steve Lee all my life. Rest his soul.

EDIT: Fyi, i think Gotthard is an underrated band overall, not just this one particular album.

Episode42

Nov 28, 2010
The Orb: Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.
A double album of pure LSD inspired weirdiness, lush beats and samples from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
People hate Human After All by Daft Punk but to me it's a brilliant masterpiece. It's a concept album so just listen from the first song to the last consecutively and you'll feel the vibe.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Richard Hawley, all his albums are underated in my opinion, but his most recent "Truelove's Gutter" is amazing

Very laid back, need a big glass of wine in hand!