Recommend me good "Medieval Era" movies?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I love he Medieval Era of Europes History, it just facsinates me to no end. I enjoy watching Kingdom of Heaven and Braveheart despite their flaws, but I am also sad that there is not many movies that take place during this era, but then again I could be wrong.

So I am just asking anyone knows any good Medieval Movies?
Define "good".

Do you mean "historically accurate" ?

Do you mean "fun movie that takes place in that general time"?

What?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
I love he Medieval Era of Europes History, it just facsinates me to no end. I enjoy watching Kingdom of Heaven and Braveheart despite their flaws, but I am also sad that there is not many movies that take place during this era, but then again I could be wrong.

Definitely watch Black Death with Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne. Fantastic.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
King Arthur with Clive Owen isn't the best movie ever made but I remember having fun with it

A Knight's Tale is a medieval jousting comedy with Heath Ledger if that sounds interesting to you

Not the right time period but Gladiator is a classic for some sword and shield fun
A Knight's Tale is great. I personally think its Heath Ledger's best movie. Has a great supporting cast and soundtrack too. Also jousting fans stomping in line with Queen's "We Will Rock You"

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Paddy the Second said:
bartholen said:
Ever since I saw a review of this film, I've been intrigued by it. Do you know where I could watch it? It's not the kind of thing I expect to hit Netflix any time soon.
I'm pretty sure it's actually on US netflix, i'm in the UK tho so don't quote me on it. It's one of the greatest films i've ever seen.
Well, another reason to move out of Scandinavia then. I heard that the US also had all of Animaniacs added recently. Goddammit, even in the age of instantaneous digital communication and streaming services some archaic and outdated laws still lead to scenarios like this.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
the December King said:
Soviet Heavy said:
the December King said:
IronClad (2010) was pretty cool, I reckon... And Black Death (2011) with Sean Bean.
Do take care not to treat either movie that seriously. Ironclad is basically the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai in a medieval context.
That's an interesting take on Ironclad - one I hadn't considered, actually.
Think about it: The bishop hires two crusaders to defend a small town, so they go and rustle up a motley crew of warriors to help the castle guard (townsfolk) face off against a band of thugs harassing the villagers. Tell me that's not Magnificent Seven.

The movie also goes into a weird alternate history near the end where King John dies and the french take over England.
That's further interesting, because "Magnificent Seven" was basically just a Western version of "Seven Samurai".

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
bartholen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I didn't even read the OP... *facepalms*

Ehh, okay, "cannot act" might be a tad too far, but he can't carry the film to save his life. It's thanks to actors like Edward Norton, Liam Neeson and Brendan Gleeson around him that manage to mask how one-note his performance is. I haven't watched the film in a few years, but I remember him having like 3-4 expressions in the entire movie. Also, I find it peculiar that you were convinced of his acting ability by an action scene of all things. I enjoy the movie as well, but it never fully convinced me on how Balian, a blacksmith from the armpit of the world, ends up somehow becoming an expert fighter and master tactician defending an entire city.
To be fair with regard to Balian's competence, it is mentioned at the beginning of the movie that he has fought in a number of wars in France. And, as he is specifically referred to not just as a blacksmith but as an artificer, I think it's reasonable to assume he would have been employed as a siege engineer. Which is not a bad resume.

Frission said:
The "Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco was a great book, and I think the movie should be good. Not to mention that they have Sean Connery in it!
I've seen the movie. It's pretty entertaining but not terribly faithful to the book.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Define "good".

Do you mean "historically accurate" ?

Do you mean "fun movie that takes place in that general time"?

What?
No offense but must people always question things like this?

The mere fact that I only say good movies that takes place in Medieval times means I like to see ANY movie whether historically accurate or epic or fun.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Frission said:
The "Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco was a great book, and I think the movie should be good. Not to mention that they have Sean Connery in it!
I have actually seen the movie. It's... incredibly good. It really captures the atmosphere of its setting (an Italian monastery), showcasing both the bustle of everyday monastery life and the claustrophobia of labyrinthine, poorly lit stone corridors.

And it has Connery and his young sidekick investigating a deliciously creepy murder mystery!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
bartholen said:
Paddy the Second said:
bartholen said:
Ever since I saw a review of this film, I've been intrigued by it. Do you know where I could watch it? It's not the kind of thing I expect to hit Netflix any time soon.
I'm pretty sure it's actually on US netflix, i'm in the UK tho so don't quote me on it. It's one of the greatest films i've ever seen.
Well, another reason to move out of Scandinavia then. I heard that the US also had all of Animaniacs added recently. Goddammit, even in the age of instantaneous digital communication and streaming services some archaic and outdated laws still lead to scenarios like this.
I'm quite a fan myself :p I just know that many are luke-warm on it (to put it lightly) so I'm always cautious to recommend too excitedly.

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
If you don't mind subs, check out Sauna. It's a really strange, atmospheric medieval movie.

Glongpre said:
Definitely watch Black Death with Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne. Fantastic.
Yeah, I second that. One of my favorites.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:

If you haven't seen it already, Valhalla Rising is worth watching.

I hesitate to call it "good" in the same vein of Kingdom of Heaven or Braveheart, since it's a very different type of film set at a different pace (more akin to Apocalypto than Braveheart), but it is a good film with a compelling story and beautiful cinematography and is certainly worth watching at least once.