Recommend me some good beers.

nitat

Apr 10, 2010
The only beer that isn't already mentioned and probally on the international marketis "omer"(Belgain).

It may sound bit fancy but as far as know of it won gold on:
-World Beer Cup:?Traditional Blond?(2010).
-European Beer Star (2009)

I found it very good.

Coraxian

Jul 22, 2010
As a Belgian (yes we do, in fact, exist) I'll give you some pointers for Belgian beers:

Stella Artois is a typical Belgian Lager beer that's exported quite a lot, so you should be able to find some near you. From my experience the taste may differ from country to country though, since it's brewed locally instead of really exported. Then again, it's usualy quite good.

Leffe scales up the amount of alcohol a bit and it may be your best choice for tasting the difference between a "blonde" and a "brown" beer. A lot of the heavier Belgian beers have blonde and brown variants. This should indidcate the general difference to you, but there are still huge differences between, let's say, Leffe and Grimbergen. Also in this category: Tripel. Give it a go. But moderation is key.

There are also many Trappist beers you might want to try out. If you like the Leffe and would like to get something... fuller, they should do the trick.

Also in this category: all other Abbey beers.

Duvel, as mentioned by some before, is also quite popular and a more alcohol heavy drink. It is quite light to drink though, but it foams quite a lot, so drink with moderation. Should be available near you. If you can get Hoegaarden (not Hoergarden which implies whores were involved)you should be able to get Duvel, Stella Artois and Leffe as well.

I'll also mention Palm and Rodenback, since they could also be available close to you and can open up a whole new style of beer for you, if you like them.

And then my current favorites: the Geuze beers. Geuze is actually a composition of several Lambic beers (usualy a couple of old ones and a new one). These are generally sour beers, but the tastes and levels of alcohol can differ a lot between brands. My persoanl favorite is Geuze Mort Subite, but I think Belle Vue will probably be available closer to you. Which isn't a bad choice either. It's an aquired taste though, so bring an open mind ;)

http://www.bierebel.com/biere.php?sort=all linky for the enthusiasts

But my general advice would be: try everything at least once. I'm not just talking about Belgian beers here. Canadian beers are good as well (Sleeman's Cream Ale was quite good, iirc) and should be available to you, I think. My personal experience is that they have a good beer everywhere (alas also crap), but I've always gotten dish water in the US. I must admit though, that on my trips there I usualy didn't have the opportunity to try smaller local ones. A couple from Texas I know and who are beer enthusiasts have promised me that Shiner beer should be good, so you might want to try that one.

May Bilious have mercy on your liver.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
LongHairRocker said:
Try Duvel or some other Belgium beer because that country has some of the best beer in the world
just believe me, it's really really good.
Or Grolsch, just to be proud of my own country's beer
GROLSCH > Heineken
Pretty much everything > Heineken, and Grolsch most definitely.

As for my Dutch pride: aside from Grolsch, go with Hertog Jan.

Also, Schultenbräu (German) is dirt cheep and quite good, but I seriously doubt you'll find any outside an Aldi supermarket.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Wuffykins said:
Honestly, I would say come to Quebec, we have the delicious beers!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

But if the OP really wants to know what the best beer is then

Ok ok that was a bad joke.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
DJDarque said:
Canid117 said:
But if the OP really wants to know what the best beer is then

Ok ok that was a bad joke.
I was expecting Pabst Blue Ribbon honestly.
I know a guy whos favorite beer is PBR but he has a mullet so you can ignore him.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Human Torch said:
Tastes differ, I can only tell you my experiences with certain beers, I tasted a great deal of different bears when I worked for a liquor store, so I like to think that I know my stuff.

That being said, Guinness tasted like 2 day old, cold coffee to me. Probably one of the most disgusting beers I ever had. Again, tastes differ.
Oh it's not that I question that tastes differ, it's just that you seem to recognise a whole damned lot and describe it all flourishly, while all I actually taste (whether I like it or not) is just, well, fizzy bitter water, or at least in the case of Murphy's. I expected something very different, that's for sure.

But what would you recommend me, with all your beer knowledge. Stuff like Murphy's and Jupiler and Heineken and all that just tastes like fizzy bitter water to me, which is something I don't like, so what would I like?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Trying to find good commercial beer in America is like trying to find a virgin at a Prostitutes Anonymous meeting, that is to say- good luck mate.

I've been reliably informed however that there are numerous brilliant microbreweries dotted throughout the country- a good place to start is find one and try theirs, or the booze isle of your local supermarket.

Also trying loads of different beers to find a good one is a large part of the hobby.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I myself am more of a grizzly man but I´ve heard some good things about panda´s too.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Mr.Squishy said:
(Budweiser is the exception that proves the rule).
I believe the reason for that is because it's actually a Czech beer originally. Not sure if Bud is just based off the recipe or if it's the same deal, but that does explain a bit, no?
Canid117 said:
Wuffykins said:
Honestly, I would say come to Quebec, we have the delicious beers!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I hope you're happy, now I have to go watch a John Candy marathon. *sniff* I really miss that guy...

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Some names without descriptions from the man who set out to try them all:

Good:

Badger England's Gold (4.6%)
Badger Fursty Ferret (4.4%)
Badger Poacher's Choice (5.7%)
Black Sheep Riggwelter (5.7%)
Daleside Morocco Ale (5.5%)
Jennings Cumberland Ale (4.7%)
Old Crafty Hen (6.5%)
Pauwel Kwak (8.4%)
Ridley's Old Bob (5.1%)
Thwaites Liberation (4.9%)
Thwaites Wainwright (4.1%)

Will get for parties:

Badger Golden Champion (5.0%)
Badger Golden Glory (4.5%)
Batemans Victory Ale (6.0%)
Black Sheep Golden Sheep Ale (4.7%)
Blue Moon (5.4%)
Greene King Suffolk Springer (6.0%)
Innis & Gunn Original (6.6%)
Joseph Holt Humdinger (4.1%)
Thwaites Chestnut Dancer (3.7%)
Thwaites Double Century (5.2%)
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (4.4%)
Wyre Piddle Piddle in the Hole (4.0%)

Will get for one beer-tasting party because they're unique and fairly good:

Badger Blandford Fly (5.2%)
Cains Fine Raisin Beer (5.0%)
Crabbie's Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer (4.0%)
Robinsons Old Tom (8.5%)

Drinkable:

Badger First Gold (4.0%)
Badger Tanglefoot (5.0%)
Batemans Dark Lord (5.0%)
Bernard Dark (5.1%)
Black Sheep Yorkshire Square (5.0%)
Chimay Pères Trappistes Chimay Red (7.0%)
Daleside Monkey Wrench (5.3%)
Erdinger Dunkel (5.6%)
Hambleton Ales Taylor's Tipple (4.5%)
J.W.Lees Brewer's Dark (3.5%)
Jennings Sneck Lifter (5.1%)
Morland Old Speckled Hen (5.2%)
Natural Brewing Co. Irresistible Premium Ale (4.3%)
Thwaites Very Nutty Black (3.9%)
York Brewery York Minster Ale (4.2%)

Not good:

Joseph Holt Maplemoon (4.8%)
Kopparbergs Frank's Alcoholic Root Beer (4.0%)
Shepherd Neame Spitfire (4.5%)
Wolf Battle of Britain (3.9%)

Not good at all:

Duchy Originals Organic Select Ale (6.2%)
St Peter's Organic Ale (4.5%)
York Brewery Centurion's Ghost Ale (5.4%)

Down the sink, it was that bad:

Hofbräu KaltenHausen Edelweiss (5.5%)

ManWithHat

Apr 1, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
The Human Torch said:
Tastes differ, I can only tell you my experiences with certain beers, I tasted a great deal of different bears when I worked for a liquor store, so I like to think that I know my stuff.

That being said, Guinness tasted like 2 day old, cold coffee to me. Probably one of the most disgusting beers I ever had. Again, tastes differ.
Oh it's not that I question that tastes differ, it's just that you seem to recognise a whole damned lot and describe it all flourishly, while all I actually taste (whether I like it or not) is just, well, fizzy bitter water, or at least in the case of Murphy's. I expected something very different, that's for sure.

But what would you recommend me, with all your beer knowledge. Stuff like Murphy's and Jupiler and Heineken and all that just tastes like fizzy bitter water to me, which is something I don't like, so what would I like?
Leinenkugel

I find it has fantastic flavor and tastes of nearly no bitterness at all. Give it shot.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
ManWithHat said:
Cowabungaa said:
The Human Torch said:

Leinenkugel

I find it has fantastic flavor and tastes of nearly no bitterness at all. Give it shot.
Hmm looks interesting. Now there's just a matter of getting it. So much fun living in a hick town in the middle of Holland. Any more famous brand like it?