Recommend me some good metal of the death variety.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Bloedhoest said:
Ponce Master-General said:
I recently discovered that death metal is pretty dang awesome, but I don't really know any good death metal bands.
Here goes.

Cannibal Corpse
Grave
Unleashed
Demiurg
Coldworker
Dying Fetus
Cephalotripsy
Incantation
Nile
Death
Master
Bloodbath
Asphyx
Hail of Bullets
Panzerchrist
Deathbreath
Origin
Necrophagist
Obscura
Suffocation
Resurrection
Aborted
Benediction
Cryptopsy
Decapitated
Deeds of Flesh
Deicide
Devourment
Dies Irae
Dismember
Fear Factory
Facebreaker
Prostitute Disfigurement
Hypocrisy
Kataklysm
Malevont Creation
Krisiun
Meshuggah
Morbid Angel
Ribspreader
Vader
Vomitor

More or less.
Wow. Kudos. I'm more of a Power Metal man myself, but I will emphasise Kataklysm, and recommend a few bands I don't see here.
Because awesome keyboard.
Because awesome everything.
Because Arnie.
Wait, Bloedhoest. I know, top of your head and all that, I've forgotten a few bands making lists of my own, but no Opeth?

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Well swords are pretty deathy, and mostly made or of metal.

Of course if you're willing to equalize the metal/other material ration you can have flails, maces, spears, guns.... Whatever you fancy....

Bloedhoest

Aug 11, 2011
zombie goat fetish said:
Some good stuff, Fear Factory though really. The first album sure. You should check out the Way Of Darkness festival in Germany you mite dig the line-up
The line-up is solid.
May go to Party San next year, don't know yet. I have been to Wacken 2007 and I don't like those massive festivals much. I needed binoculars to see some people on stage.

And yes, Opeth should be in the list to. Akterfeldt is also the vocalist in Bloodbath. Or has been. Or is again. Might wanna check that.

zombie goat fetish

Aug 6, 2011
Bloedhoest said:
The line-up is solid.
May go to Party San next year, don't know yet. I have been to Wacken 2007 and I don't like those massive festivals much. I needed binoculars to see some people on stage.
Way Of Darkness is indoor and very easy to get to the stage was there last year and had a fucking amazing time.

Oct 30, 2010
Morbid Angel. Altars of Madness is pretty much perfect.

If I have to include more, Suffocation and Immolation, and Death is pretty allright, but seriously, Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness is all I ever need.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
It's all about Bloodbath, srsly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znQ7NK8YIF4

Opeth are prog death, not quite the same, especially recently.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
I much prefer melodic death metal to regular death metal, so here's some of that!

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Layz92 said:
I don't tend to listen to death metal but Opeth is extremely good. It is death metal with variety and complexity.
He is right, Opeth is amazing. Also, check out All Shall Perish. Definitely. Every album ov theirs has been a masterpiece. (Since their first one)

I've been an All Shall Perish fan for a few years now, they're a fairly new band, I became their fan shortly after the release of their second album, Price of Existence.

They change styles from album to album, but they always do it perfectly. Their most recent album got metal-critic's first 10/10 rating ever.

As your first song, perhaps you should listen to The Last Relapse or Better Living Through Catastrophe, they both have very progressive starts and build up to the main section of the song and it melts your mind when it gets there. Those were the first two songs of their I fell in love with.

\m/

Deshara said:
Good death metal? This phrase doesn't make sense to me...
You obviously were born without ears. I'm sorry for your condition.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You could put a gun barrel in your mouth, but I don't think that's either the kind of metal or the kind of death your looking for.

Edit: In case it's not obvious, I don't have anything useful to add. I don't listen to *death* metal.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, I'm not all that in to regular ol' death metal (though there's the occasional Cannibal Corpse song that I find appealing)... but I do love me some melodic death. First band that came to mind that hasn't already been covered is
Gates of Ishtar:

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Opeth, Daath, Death, Cynic, Atheist, Fear Factory, Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, Blackguard, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Suidakra. And the list goes on but I'm too lazy to continue trying to remember things from my library when I'm not actually on my main computer.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Their album Obscura is often considered the pinnacle of the technical death metal genre.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Since pretty much everything I was going to suggest has been listed, I'll just add a band I recently discovered, called Survivors Zero.

Bloedhoest

Aug 11, 2011
zombie goat fetish said:
Way Of Darkness is indoor and very easy to get to the stage was there last year and had a fucking amazing time.
It's a 6 hour drive for me and I'm afraid I can't take vacation then. Still an awesome line-up.

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Juuel said:
All of those songs sound like shit.

I can't believe people enjoy this genre of music.
I hated this kind of music too around 3 years ago. Then I found a metal song which I liked minus the screaming. I kept listening to it anyways, and after a week I found out I couldn't get the song out of my head, and even the screams sounded good. Slowly I moved on to heavier and more aggressive music and here we are. This is the kind of music that grows on you.

Also, if you hate this kind of music, why are you posting in a thread about death metal band recommendations?

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I'm in the thread so I could see what exactly "death" metal was.
I didn't know reading a thread requires making obsolete posts.

Anyways, since it's apparently "death variety" instead of just "death metal", some other forms of death metal:

Wintersun (the band that got me into harsher metal in general)

At The Gates

Deströyer 666

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I think Children of Bodom are great and they have done some pretty funny covers, too.

Opeth is good if you like a more progressive style of Death Metal.