Recommend me some indie movies

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
So,I just Saw Bubbo Ho-tep, an awesome comedy indie movie, and so I decided to watch several indie movies, I bought Reservoir Dogs and Brick so far, Escapists, I know many of you are movie geeks, please help me and recommend me some indie movies.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The Room.

Go watch it.

Right now.
That's not a movie, that's an experiment of how much you can suck in a movie, yet it's entertaining as hell lol.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'd very strongly recommend Moon, if that counts. One of the smartest and best science fiction films of the last few years, and Sam Rockwell's performance is mesmerising. Especially considering it was Duncan Jones' debut film, this is definitely one to watch if you like quality science fiction, and wish it was about big ideas rather than big explosions.

In a similar vein, last year's Monsters was also fantastic. I know MovieBob panned it, but I loved it. Really fascinating to see what you can do in terms of special effects with software you can get in a shop.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
DJDarque said:
If you haven't seen it, go watch MirrorMask. This instant!
I saw a poster of that move not too long ago an it intrigued me, I'll give it a watch

Anachronism said:
I'd very strongly recommend Moon, if that counts. One of the smartest and best science fiction films of the last few years, and Sam Rockwell's performance is mesmerising. Especially considering it was Duncan Jones' debut film, this is definitely one to watch if you like quality science fiction, and wish it was about big ideas rather than big explosions.

In a similar vein, last year's Monsters was also fantastic. I know MovieBob panned it, but I loved it. Really fascinating to see what you can do in terms of special effects with software you can get in a shop.
I disagree with Bob a lot, (I mean seriously recommending Sucker Punch? seriously ?) so I will give Monsters a watch, and Moon was pretty damn good, and yes it is an Independent movie, just checked Wikipedia.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Check out Moon.

May be highly-praised but it's still indie and criminally under-known. A Sci-Fi thriller which will break your heart.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
The Girlfriend Experience on the dramatic side, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47kTa9XcEcg on the funny side. They're both totally rad, and totally hip.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I never really know what IS or ISN'T an actual Indie film (because I just don't care), so here is a joke-answer that I'm surprised nobody has done yet.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Well, I never really know what IS or ISN'T an actual Indie film (because I just don't care), so here is a joke-answer that I'm surprised nobody has done yet.
Oh you!

An Indie film? Does that term even really exist?
See, what you could always do is look at IMDB's top 100 films. You know, just throwing that idea out there.

I say it on every movie recommendation thread: In Bruges.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Dead Man's Shoes, it's a British revenge type film and it's great. The main character (Richard) is scary but still the most likeable character on screen. To figure out if you'd like the film see how you react to this line.

Thug: Can I help you mate?
Richard (calm): No mate.
Thug: Then what the fuck you looking at?
Richard (vicious): You ya ****.

Also there's a brilliant scene where Richard drugs some of the bad guys and they go on the world's worst trip.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
FalloutJack said:

I know what joke you mean, thankfully no one has said it.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
The Brothers Bloom. A fun con-man movie with romantic elements in it. What's not to like?

Also, it has Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody. That can't be too bad.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Checkout Jim Jarmusch's stuff. His older movies like Stranger Than Paradise and Mystery Train might be a little bit too far on the indie site for some people but the newer works are just awesome. Dead Man, Ghost Dog and Broken Flower easily belong to my all-time favourites.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
Withnail and I
though you might not get it if you're not English/lived ine England for a long time
Troll Hunter