Recommend me some older games (I've only known current gen all my life)

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
The first couple Mega Man X games will probably tickle your fancy, everything else I would normally suggest has been mentioned.

likalaruku said:
*Myst series.
I second this motion. Everyone should play Myst and Riven at the very least.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
likalaruku said:
Well, I grew up PC gaming because my parents only ever bought me 4 games for the Sega Genesis. I did play games at friends' houses though. & with the power of Emulators, you can play ROMs of games that the developers no longer sell for profit.

Mr.Mattress has excellent suggestions, so I'll start by seconding them.

I'd also look for...

*Final Fantasy & Zelda: No two fans can ever agree on a top or bottom 5. Play them all & decide for yourself.
*Secret of Mana.
*Chrono Trigger.
*Phantasy Star.
*The Dragons Quest series.
*Sonic 1-3, Knuckles, & Spinball.
*Pokemon Fire Red, Emerald, Crystal, Platinum, Heart Gold, & Black or White 1 & 2.
*Paper Mario.
*The Kirby series.
*Crash Bandicoot.
*Rayman.
*Diddy Kong Racing.
*Crazy Taxi.
*Carmageddon series.
*Animal Crossing series.
*Harvest Moon 2 & up.
*Rune Factory series.
*Silent Hill 1-3.
*Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, or King of Fighters series.

& if you can run them on your PC...
*M.U.G.E.N.
*Myst series.
*Baldur's Gate collection.
*Neverwinter Nights Diamond.
Thank you guys!

Seems like I will be busy for the next decade :)

I will try to track down a real N64 and SNES, as well as a joystick.

Are all those games listed above for the N64 or what?

ALL the Final Fantasy games and Zelda games? Thats pretty fucking crazy. There are like 15+ FF games and I dont even know how many zelda games there are, I have never played a zelda game. I have no interest in either final fantasy or zelda though. Was going to play FF13 with lightning, but I heard the game was bad so I never got FF13.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
h4xor555 said:
Am I going to enjoy System Shock? Bioshock is a successor to that game and I HATED Bioshock.
It depends why you hated Bioshock. The story is different, but you still use audio logs to learn about it. There isn't a moral choice to make, since everything is trying to kill you. It offers a lot more character customization than Bioshock though. Also, everything is scarce (money, health, ammo, upgrades, weapons), so you'll start developing paranoia while turning every corner. There are checkpoints (vita chambers), but there aren't a lot. Yahtzee gives a good comparison in his Bioshock review, so that's worth watching.

OT: If you like point and click adventure games, and horror movies, Phantasmagoria is worth a look. It's a Full Motion Video game, so the characters are actors performing in CGI sets (remember, in 1995). It's a challenging game, but the story is cheesy at times, cheesy, disturbing at others.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
h4xor555 said:
ALL the Final Fantasy games and Zelda games? Thats pretty fucking crazy. There are like 15+ FF games and I dont even know how many zelda games there are, I have never played a zelda game. I have no interest in either final fantasy or zelda though. Was going to play FF13 with lightning, but I heard the game was bad so I never got FF13.
I shall now be diplomatic. FF13 seems like an acquired taste. I'd recommend the SNES games (any of them) or the PS1 remakes (you said you had a PS3, so they can run on that - no need to track down carts)

As for Zelda games - and this is coming as a bit of a Nintendo fan - play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (both N64). If you like them, go for others (Windwaker is my personal favourite). But OoT and MM are generally more satisfying to most people.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
If you are interested in visiting some of the 16 bit generation there are some good choices on XBL. The Streets of Rage or Wonderboy pack are good value and you can't go wrong with classic 2D Sonic. Not sure what else by Sega is available, but check them out. You'll know them as a crappy publisher, but they used to be a highly innovative developer way back when.

Guardian Heroes, Gunstar Heroes, Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun are all by the phenomenal Treasure and are all available on XBL for significantly lower prices than the original releases. You can probably get demos of them too. Not sure if a quick blast would do them justice though, as they have in-depth systems that take time to learn.

I also strongly recommend you download Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for reasons...

Have fun.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
JEBWrench said:
h4xor555 said:
I shall now be diplomatic. FF13 seems like an acquired taste. I'd recommend the SNES games (any of them) or the PS1 remakes (you said you had a PS3, so they can run on that - no need to track down carts)

As for Zelda games - and this is coming as a bit of a Nintendo fan - play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (both N64). If you like them, go for others (Windwaker is my personal favourite). But OoT and MM are generally more satisfying to most people.
Im sorry if I made you mad, I kinda did never have much interest for either series. Everyone tells me FF is going more and more downhill every year, and there are so many FF games that it feels overwhelming to jump into the series. Never owned anything nintendo so could never play zelda.

I will try the two zelda games you mentioned, might try windwaker after MM and OoT and then I dont know about continuing with zelda.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
Sqrt(-1) said:
h4xor555 said:
Am I going to enjoy System Shock? Bioshock is a successor to that game and I HATED Bioshock.
It depends why you hated Bioshock. The story is different, but you still use audio logs to learn about it. There isn't a moral choice to make, since everything is trying to kill you. It offers a lot more character customization than Bioshock though. Also, everything is scarce (money, health, ammo, upgrades, weapons), so you'll start developing paranoia while turning every corner. There are checkpoints (vita chambers), but there aren't a lot. Yahtzee gives a good comparison in his Bioshock review, so that's worth watching.

OT: If you like point and click adventure games, and horror movies, Phantasmagoria is worth a look. It's a Full Motion Video game, so the characters are actors performing in CGI sets (remember, in 1995). It's a challenging game, but the story is cheesy at times, cheesy, disturbing at others.
Hated Bioshock because it was BORING.

SO.DAMN.BORING.

Bioshock makes rainbow six feel like call of duty, everything advances so slowly and the game was such a pain to play through. After killing Andrew Ryan I quit, I could not take anymore, I DO NOT want this to happen with system shock 2.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
h4xor555 said:
Im sorry if I made you mad, I kinda did never have much interest for either series. Everyone tells me FF is going more and more downhill every year, and there are so many FF games that it feels overwhelming to jump into the series. Never owned anything nintendo so could never play zelda.

I will try the two zelda games you mentioned, might try windwaker after MM and OoT and then I dont know about continuing with zelda.
Oh, no, I was being dipolomatic in regards that some people do like FF13, I'm just not one of them. No worries.

risue

Apr 3, 2010
Ok so here is my list, some of them i'm sure are repeats of what people have previously said but there might be a few new ones

starting off with System Shock 2 is a great plan, I played it for the first time only a month or so ago and loved it. in relation to your dislike of bioshock 1 and 2 it really depends on why you disliked those games. while it is a spiritual predecessor the gun play is much different, the story is very different, really the similarities lie in the ideas of the game mechanics (powers akin to plasmids/vigors, how vending machines and hacking work, that sorta thing)

Half Life 1:(hear me out i heard your complaint about not knowing the story's end) is still one of my favorite shooters, then check out the Black Mesa mod which is a remake of half life 1 (i suggest after you play the original if your goal is to play the classics) but it is a remake worthy of your time. (maybe play it if you want to take a break from the older stuff for a while) Half life 1 wraps up its own story quite nicely, only once you get into HL2 does the story arc start having loose ends at the end of each game.

Morrowind: some love it, some hate it, i can attribute it to being THE game that got me into gaming. i do suggest throwing in some mods but play through the campaign at least once before you go absolutely crazy on mods. I don't know how into modding you are but don't worry too much if you havent done much with it, once you get your feet wet, it opens up a whole new world. As for the game itself I think it is the most realized of the elders scrolls series, despite being more grounded in fantasy and imagination than oblivion or skyrim. (note, i haven't played any TES game that came out before morrowind but have loved each of the latest three). Also you will finally be able to truly relate when people say F-ing Cliff Racers

The adventures of Monkey Island: Ive only recently played these but they are truly great point and click adventures. They've got a kind of charm and humor to them that is hard to find lately.

The Longest Journey: another point and click adventure with a great story, kind of a cult classic though if i'm not mistaken.

And now for games that I haven't played but are on my list of once i'm going to play as well

Fallout 1 & 2
Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines: very much a cult classic but suppose to be an excellent RPG
Beyond Good and Evil - I haven't been able to get the steam version to work so a heads up there
Star Wars: KOTR
Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros (for fun, google "portal mario" )

Post back with your thoughts as you play some of the games you choose, I'm curious how it goes

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
OK this is my #1 suggestion, the original Fallouts. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have played 3 or New Vegas, and this way you get to experience an older game without having to feel like its out of place.

Also, Super Mario 64 is a great game and one of the first (and probably best) 3D platformers.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
h4xor555 said:
I am a lets say very recent gamer. I started off playing flash games when I was 5. In fact, I still remember the FIRST game I EVER played in my entire life. It was this game right here.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/3516

The day I found that game as a 5 year old is the day my entire life changed forever. From that moment onwards, I became a full fledged gamer, playing everything I could get my hands on (which were flash games (sad face)). The reason for this because my parents WOULD NOT get me a console.

The first console I ever owned was a Xbox 360, I'm not kidding. It took years of convincing for my parents to finally get a console, which was the 360 when it first came out 6 years ago. So bascially I guess I never started "really" gaming until my Xbox 360. Now I play everything that gets released, AAA, indie, and DLC.

Now I hear lots of you older folk talk about the 90s and the "golden" age of gaming. It's something I COMPLETELY missed out on. I am only used to games from this current gen because this current gen is all I have ever known, I was not around for the older days.

Sorry for this huge long post, its now time to get to my point.

Tell me some of the legendary games of the old days I keep hearing about. I really want to check out what I missed out on, and many people say of how those older games are so great and "pure", and so much better than the games of today, which have been "ruined" by bullshit dlc, microstransctions, and corporate (EA LOL)

Basically I do not want to play current gen games anymore, I want to go back in time and play those older games that people claim are so legendary. Remember I almost completely missed out on the 90s and anything before xbox 360 launch date (No NES,PS2, any of that stuff, only early xbox 360 onwards)

I was thinking of starting with System Shock 2. Is that a good choice? I literally cannot think of any other such older games to play.

Thanks for reading this huge rant :)
Freespace series, get Freespace 2 on GoG.com and you can download Freespace 1 and its expansions as mods. Better still the game is still being updated by a dedicated fanbase that keeps the game upto date and graphics modern, Freespace 2 Source Code Project with the Media VPs puts even new space games to shame....
Here's a video made using the game, this is 100% ingame graphics/footage no CGI:

I also recommend command and conquer series (C&C1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun), all 3 are 100% free so nothing to lose. I will give link to each if you'd like.

Also just check gog.com and see what takes your fancy, best way to suggest it.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
h4xor555 said:
I have quite a nice pc. Built it 2 years ago so it is out of date :(

I can play Bioshock Infinte on High with 60+ FPS, I think these older games I can take no problem.

I would say some of my all time fave games now would be Prototype 2, Bit Trip runner 2, COD 4, Mass Effect, Fallout, Halo CE, Heavy Rain, Bioshock Infinite, inFamous, Uncharted, Ace Combat:AH, Painkiller Hell and Damnation, and I throughly enjoyed the DmC reboot (COME THE FUCK AT ME!).

Really looking forward to Byond Two Souls and The Last of Us.

Im acutally missing quite a lot. I play so MANY games (EVERYTHING that gets released), I can barley remember them all, I know there are other games which I greatly enjoy, I simply cannot remember.

90% of the space on my harddrive is all games, I have a 1 TB drive.

Going to be in quite a shock I think, these games are probably much different.

While I say I loved Bioshock Infinite, I HATED Bioshock 1 and 2.

I don't think I want to play Half Life. I will never know how the story ends, so I will just skip it.

I have a Ps3 as well.

Should I try any really old 1980s games? I have never played Mario, Super Metriod, or any of those Gensis NES games (I know). All I've played was duckhunt at a friends house once.
The current interaction of my PC hasn't had an update in years and it runs on high, this long console generation has meant that they just don't go out of date. Your PC isn't outdated at all. Too bad that's about to change. ='(

System Shock is a significantly different game from Bioshock. While a spiritual successor, they have very different aesthetics and narrative. Worth a shot. Besides, apart from a fantastic twist and an interesting environment, Bioshock was a critically acclaimed pile of steaming mediocrity. I was never really saw the appeal myself.

Fair enough on Half-Life, I really only recommended it because it was such an important game as far as shooter development history.

If you have a PS3, grab Shadow of the Colossus. It's a fantastic, unique game from the PS2 where your kill gigantic beasts. Well worth a play.

Eh, 1980's is probably going back a little far. Some of it's worth playing if you want to check out gaming history, but most of it is trash these days. A few of the titles made decent hand-held games if you want to have a look.

Do play Deus Ex though, it was one of the earliest games I remember playing. Truly fantastic.

Reiterpallasch

Sep 27, 2010
Really? No mention of the homeworld series yet?

Homeworld: Full 3d real time strategy game

This game won multiple game of the year awards, and for good reason. Easily one of my favorite games of all time, beats out Starcraft in my opinion. Homeworld: Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 are also excellent. All three games have their excellent share of user mods, including the Complex mod for HW2, which is one of ModDB's picks for greatest mods of all time.
This game really is beautiful, it's a crime that so few people know about it. If you pick any game suggested so far, pick this one.
Homeworld Intro cinematic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

An excellent fan made trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZdCU6FF8w

Another great fan made trailer, this time for homeworld 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREv9AD9J_4

Honorable Mentions: The X-wing/Tie Fighter series, The Myst series, The first Star Wars: Dark Forces

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
afroebob said:
OK this is my #1 suggestion, the original Fallouts. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have played 3 or New Vegas, and this way you get to experience an older game without having to feel like its out of place.

Also, Super Mario 64 is a great game and one of the first (and probably best) 3D platformers.
I have both 100 hours in Fallout 3 and Fallout NV which adds up to 200 hours playing both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV.

I damn love fallout so much. Im going to be in trouble when fallout 4 comes. Everytime a fallout game comes out I literally lock myself in my room and dont come out until a month later.

Seen gameplay for Fallout 1 and 2, they are so different from 3 and NV! I hope I will still enjoy them nontheless, im kinda a fallout freak.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Well, depending on your preferences, I'd recommend some titles for the Playstation and PS2:

Crash bandicoot 2, 3, and CTR

Those were, and still are, the bread, butter, and jam of my childhood. They are 2 platformers and a DAMN GOOD racing game. Shame that the racing game won't emulate properly...

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3.

The original MGS was one of the first games I remember playing. MGS 2 was what really got me into gaming my first swing around, and MGS 3 was what solidified my love for gaming. I will love them forever.

There are plenty more that I can recommend, but I'll leave it at that for now.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
h4xor555 said:
Should I try any really old 1980s games? I have never played Mario, Super Metriod-
FRIGGIN' YES! (Though Super Metroid was an SNES title, and thus from the early '90s.) For that matter, all the past-gen Metroid games are great (emphasis on "past-gen" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid:_Other_M]), though the first two are skippable if you just wanna dive into the best stuff. Insofar as that goes, the real must-play game of the series besides Super Metroid is Metroid Prime, along with its sequel (and the third game while you're at it, though that was for the Wii).

As far as other games, I'll just go ahead and indiscriminately list Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie (the latter of which is the better of the two, just for the record), the Naughty Dog-developed Crash Bandicoot games (particularly Warped), the Jak and Daxter series (or, at least, the second and third ones; I never played the first), Shadow of the Colossus, Star Fox 64, any Generation I-III Pokemon game (haven't played the rest, but odds are you won't be disappointed there either if you like any of the other games) but especially one from Gen II, Pokemon Snap, Donkey Kong Country, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil REmake, Spider-Man 2, Star Wars: Battlefront II, Star Wars Episode I: Racer, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Painkiller, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Save the Earth, and Super Smash Bros.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
There are some great suggestions in this topic (especially Daft Time)

I will give some suggestions too. By the way some of the old games have graphic/enhanchement mods, search them on google (I know especially Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Quake 2, System Shock 2)

First, some of my most favorite (Top 10) games.

- Planescape: Torment. Must to play game for every PC Gamer. Its narrative and story telling is incredible. And Its amazing world takes you into the deep. You must play this game as a mage first, up the Int and Wis, and talk to everybody around. Best game and best RPG for me.

- Sanitarium. At first this game seems weird. But after finishing the game, you will encounter one of the greatest storytelling in video gaming history. My best adventure game. Don't forget to patch the game first (you should do it in every game).

- Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. Jedi Knight series (including Dark Forces) is really good. You should play all the series one by one to fully understand and taste the story of Kyle Katarn. However Jedi Outcast as a stand alone game still gives much joy and experience to the player.

- Dungeon Keeper. My most favorite strategy game. Bullfrog was famous with their classic Populous, Theme Hospital, Theme Park games, they are all awesome games. However my favorite was Dungeon Keeper. It holds parody to medieval games like Diablo, but also has solid gameplay. This game has lots of detail in every aspects. I think games like Black&White, Movies, Evil Genius don't have 1/10 detail of this game.

- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Some people argue "only 2D isometric games can be true RPG", however this game is my second most favorite RPG. Not a sequel to Redemption, but both VTM games were very enjoyable to play. Bloodlines on the other hand, gave us theatrical NPC performances, branching story, non-linear gameplay and a marvelous atmosphere. There is one problem, you definitely must to patch it. (There are two unofficial patches, one is like an expansion pack, the other is just patches the vanilla game)

- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask Of The Betrayer. I don't like NWN series, they are good to create your own story and play with your friends, other than that nothing awesome. However MOTB campaign became one of my most favorite RPGs. It has a very close feeling to Planescape: Torment. Thinking that new Torment game is being made by creators of MOTB...

- The Curse Of Monkey Island. Monkey Island 3 is one of my most favorite adventures, however MI1 and MI2 are also very very good games. MI1 and MI2 now have Special Edition, remade with modern graphics, you don't have to play them with Amiga graphics. Full of humor and fun. I don't suggest you to play Fourth game (didn't like it) but definitely suggest Tales of Monkey Island episodes.

- The Darkness. This game is not a PC game, console only. However I must write it here, because this game made me very emotional while playing it. I love this game. I love Jenny. I love the story. Second game was not a bad game, but definitely not great as the first game. Play it.

- System Shock 2. RPG/FPS hybrid. First game is very old and hard to play today. However SS2 is still helluva good. You may get stuck in the beginning of the game, but you will get use to it and enjoy it later on.

- The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. This is still the best TES game. Even Skyrim can not come close to it. With some graphics update and mods, It can be still replayed on 2013 without any problem.

Other important games (you can call it Top 11-20) : Fallout 2, Sacrifice, KOTOR 2, Quake 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Commandos, Descent: Freespace 1/2, Mech Commander 1/2, Wing Commander series, Deus Ex

Some games worth mentioning: McGee's Alice, Alpha Protocol, Urban Chaos, Fallout Tactics, Arcanum, The Last Express, Heroes Of Might & Magic 2/3, Thief 1/2, Mech Warrior series, Startopia

If you played all these games, and want to play older DOS/Windows games, try these: Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret, Gods, Commander Keen, Syndicate, Another World, Beneath A Steel Sky, Jazz JackRabbit, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, X-Com Enemy Unknown, Master Of Orion

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
h4xor555 said:
afroebob said:

I have both 100 hours in Fallout 3 and Fallout NV which adds up to 200 hours playing both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV.

I damn love fallout so much. Im going to be in trouble when fallout 4 comes. Everytime a fallout game comes out I literally lock myself in my room and dont come out until a month later.

Seen gameplay for Fallout 1 and 2, they are so different from 3 and NV! I hope I will still enjoy them nontheless, im kinda a fallout freak.
Then I suggest giving the original games a shot. Granted, they play EXTREMELY differently, they are both RPGs but FO3 and NV are RPG FPS games, FO1 and 2 (and the spin off Tactics) are all turn based games with a camera angle similar to Warcraft or Starcraft. They both obviously take place in the same universe but they play very differently. To be honest, I wasn't that big with old games before Fallout 1 and 2 which I played after FO3, and now I'm slowly but surely getting into more of them.

In the end, give them a shot, its worth it

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Trilogy-3-Pack-Compilation-Pc/dp/B001V9PTVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369109357&sr=8-3&keywords=fallout

Cheaper than buying them on Steam, just a heads up. Also, if your running on Windows 7 your going to have to do a little fix to make sure the game is working probably, just Google 'Fallout 1 (or 2) fix Windows 7' and do what the article or video you pick says.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 have some pretty nice stories so make sure you don't get them spoiled to you, especially the ending in FO1, its pretty crazy.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
h4xor555 said:
Septerra core: Legacy of the Creator! It plays like final fantasy, fallout, Diablo, it has fantasy and cyberpunk element.
The main character is one cool chick too!

No one has made this recommendation, good to be the first!