Recommend me some older games (I've only known current gen all my life)

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
Well thanks to this thread it seems I have enough to last me more than a decade!

Someone recommended alpha protocol. I saw that game, does not look good.

Ha did anyone play the game I linked to?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Reiterpallasch said:
Really? No mention of the homeworld series yet?

Homeworld: Full 3d real time strategy game

This game won multiple game of the year awards, and for good reason. Easily one of my favorite games of all time, beats out Starcraft in my opinion. Homeworld: Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 are also excellent. All three games have their excellent share of user mods, including the Complex mod for HW2, which is one of ModDB's picks for greatest mods of all time.
This game really is beautiful, it's a crime that so few people know about it. If you pick any game suggested so far, pick this one.
Homeworld Intro cinematic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

An excellent fan made trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZdCU6FF8w

Another great fan made trailer, this time for homeworld 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREv9AD9J_4

Honorable Mentions: The X-wing/Tie Fighter series, The Myst series, The first Star Wars: Dark Forces
I didn't want to overwhelm the guy, homeworld is seriously one of the best RTS games ever made, up there with CoH and DoW1. Agreed with the other mentions too

Feb 8, 2009
Chrono Trigger is a good one to try. You can get it off of the PSN store as a PS1 classic. That version does have some bad loading times, but the game is a great example of old school RPGs at their best.

If you want to get into some Genesis games, you can pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection really cheap right now. It's on PS3/360 and has the majority of the popular Sega Genesis games.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
RicoADF said:
Reiterpallasch said:
Really? No mention of the homeworld series yet?

Homeworld: Full 3d real time strategy game

This game won multiple game of the year awards, and for good reason. Easily one of my favorite games of all time, beats out Starcraft in my opinion. Homeworld: Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 are also excellent. All three games have their excellent share of user mods, including the Complex mod for HW2, which is one of ModDB's picks for greatest mods of all time.
This game really is beautiful, it's a crime that so few people know about it. If you pick any game suggested so far, pick this one.
Homeworld Intro cinematic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

An excellent fan made trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZdCU6FF8w

Another great fan made trailer, this time for homeworld 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREv9AD9J_4

Honorable Mentions: The X-wing/Tie Fighter series, The Myst series, The first Star Wars: Dark Forces
I didn't want to overwhelm the guy, homeworld is seriously one of the best RTS games ever made, up there with CoH and DoW1. Agreed with the other mentions too
Well I am already going to be busy for a LONG time according to this thread, I do not mind :)

Never really played any fighting games or RTS.

Going to start with the XCOM game that came out last year. Then I'm going to try the RTS games that have been mentioned here.

Still not sure what to do about the fighting games. I tried Street Fighter X Tekken but I could not figure it out at all. Damn it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
h4xor555 said:
Well I am already going to be busy for a LONG time according to this thread, I do not mind :)

Going to start with the XCOM game that came out last year. Then I'm going to try the RTS games that have been mentioned here.

Still not sure what to do about the fighting games. I tried Street Fighter X Tekken but I could not figure it out at all. Damn it.
I hope you've got alot of free time, your seriously going to need it :) Have fun and good luck, btw don't forget Freespace :p

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Everyone should have played Rome Total War (2004) on PC. And if you like it, good news, the sequel is out in September.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I'll try to make this easy by summarizing some into collections, and excluding some consoles that probably arn't worth the time until you get this stuff anyway.

You can save out on the PS2 by getting this for the PS3:
God of War HD Collection
Jack HD Collection
Sly Cooper HD collection
Devil may Cry HD collection
Ratchet and Clank HD collection
Metal Gear Solid HD collection
Ico Shadow of the Colossus HD collection
And then you are more or less good for the PS2, except maybe:
Mega Man X collection (at least play the first 4, the rest you can skip)
Mega Man Anniversary collection (play all 6)

PS1:
Strider 2
Jumping Flash
Gex Enter the Gecko
Dino Crisis 2
Breath of Fire 3
War Hawk
Star Gladiator
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Twisted Metal 2

N64:
Super Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Blast Corps
Pilot Wings 64
StarFox 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora's mask
Turok 2
Goldeneye (it's good single player to)

SNES:
SUPER METROID!!
Zelda a Link to the past
Mega Man X (if you didn't get the collection on PS2)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
TMNT Turtles in Time
Contra III
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario world
Super Mario Allstars
Starfox
Super Castlevania 4
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2

Sega Saturn:
Virtual Cop
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga (lol good luck)
Knights
Any Capcom Fighting game (they worked much better on the Saturn then the PS1 for some reason)

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Mega Man X... in fact every game in the Mega Man X series up to X5(which was originally supposed to be the finale).

They're fantastic games, and most of them have aged very well. The first game in particular is one of the best most polished games I've ever played.

The first three games in the series are SNES games, the others after that were on PSX and PS2.

And, don't go near X7. Just... don't. 8 was alright from what little I played of it though.

EDIT

Other games I recommend(if you like JRPGS) would be Final Fantasy VI(SNES,PSX), Final Fantasy IX(PSX), Grandia(Sega Saturn,PSX) & Grandia II(Dreamcast,PS2).

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
KOTOR 1 and 2. If you played them on xBox already, as would be almost around when you are talking about, then play them on PC. completely difference experience.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
RicoADF said:
h4xor555 said:

I hope you've got alot of free time, your seriously going to need it :) Have fun and good luck, btw don't forget Freespace :p
I am going to be busy for YEARS it seems, however with all these great games it will be a wild awesome ride.

Need to get a joystick before freespace! You know where I can get one?

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Hop on Ebay, get yourself some essentials. Shit is cheap, shit is fun, shit is amazing. Get yourself an Atari 2600, NES, SNES and a Genesis. I see those as the VERY best consoles ever made and must plays when it comes to understanding video games as a medium extensively. A lot of people will disagree with me and just recommend you 90's PC games (Golden age of gaming for me too, yes, but still) and emulators. But there is no experience like sitting in front of an old TV, playing a legitimately old game like it was meant to be played.

Check out some top ten lists for games, follow some retro gaming blogs and shows and you will start seeing certain games show up constantly. Play those. Those are probably the most memorable, interesting ones. Most of those games cost almost nothing, especially if you go flea-market hunting. Just start buying games and not caring about the year they were released. That's how easy it is. Overwhelming, but easy.

Retro gaming has been my favourite hobby for years now. Almost 10 years actually. It's hard and expensive to do in Finland, but if you live in larger countries like Germany, Japan, US or Canada, it will be easier for you. Seeing, hearing and experiencing video games that were before your time is incredibly rewarding and magical. Incredible. Some of my favourite games of all time are older than me, so just be open minded and jump into a sea of experiences you never thought you could have. I did the same and after 10 years and well over 1500 games I can say that I regret nothing.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
Vkmies said:
Hop on Ebay, get yourself some essentials. Shit is cheap, shit is fun, shit is amazing. Get yourself an Atari 2600, NES, SNES and a Genesis. I see those as the VERY best consoles ever made and must plays when it comes to understanding video games as a medium extensively. A lot of people will disagree with me and just recommend you 90's PC games (Golden age of gaming for me too, yes, but still) and emulators. But there is no experience like sitting in front of an old TV, playing a legitimately old game like it was meant to be played.

Check out some top ten lists for games, follow some retro gaming blogs and shows and you will start seeing certain games show up constantly. Play those. Those are probably the most memorable, interesting ones. Most of those games cost almost nothing, especially if you go flea-market hunting. Just start buying games and not caring about the year they were released. That's how easy it is. Overwhelming, but easy.

Retro gaming has been my favourite hobby for years now. Almost 10 years actually. It's hard and expensive to do in Finland, but if you live in larger countries like Germany, Japan, US or Canada, it will be easier for you. Seeing, hearing and experiencing video games that were before your time is incredibly rewarding and magical. Incredible. Some of my favourite games of all time are older than me, so just be open minded and jump into a sea of experiences you never thought you could have. I did the same and after 10 years and well over 1500 games I can say that I regret nothing.
Always wanted to do amateur classic game collecting when I live alone in my own house!

I'll grab myself a shitty old tv from the 80s, all those old consoles, and start playing.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
h4xor555 said:
Well thanks to this thread it seems I have enough to last me more than a decade!

good game. best part of it, the dialog options change the events, story and even your character. gameplay can be different due to your dialogue choices.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
Bonecrusher said:
h4xor555 said:

good game. best part of it, the dialog options change the events, story and even your character. gameplay can be different due to your dialogue choices.
You mean combat instinct? That is the game I linked to.

Maevine

Feb 4, 2013
Tomba, Dark Cloud, and The Oddworld series partly made my childhood, even though most people never talk about any of those games anymore ;~;

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Depends what you really like. My recommendations are gonna have heavy on RPGs and Adventure/Platform games.

RPGs (my favorite genre):
Shin Megami Tensei Series (Nocturne, Persona, Devil Summoner, and any others you can get your hands on)
Final Fantasy series (IV, VI, VII, IX, and XII especially)
Odin Sphere (Beautiful game! On the PSN, so get this!)
Xenosaga and Xenogears
Kingdom Hearts Series
Star Ocean series
Elder Scrolls series
Knights of the Old Republic series
Fable (just the original, really)
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario series
Pokemon series
Tales of Symphonia

Action/Adventure/Platforming Games:
Legend of Zelda series
Metroid series
Super Mario series
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Castlevania series
Devil May Cry series
Metal Gear Solid series (get this at all costs!!!)
Katamari Damacy
Okami
Prince of Persia series
Crash Bandicoot series (1-CTR only)
Spyro the Dragon series (1-3 only)
Sly Cooper series
Psychonauts (GET THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS)
Sly Cooper series
Sonic the Hedgehog series (1-Adventure 2)
Banjo Kazooie series
Ghost n Goblins series
Ninja Gaiden series
Silent Hill series(1 and 2)
Resident Evil series(1-3 have pretty awful controls by today's standards, though...)
All Lucas Arts Point and Click Adventure Games from the 90's
MediEvil
Toejam and Earl series
Space Station Silicon Valley
Donkey Kong Country series
Beyond Good and Evil
Ratchet and Clank series
Jak and Daxter series

Shooters (not my favorite genre, but...):
Time Splitters series (the most fun you will ever have in a shooter series)
Doom
Half-Life
Metroid Prime series

Yeah, I am probably missing out on a crap ton of games that even I own... XD

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
h4xor555 said:
RicoADF said:
h4xor555 said:

I am going to be busy for YEARS it seems, however with all these great games it will be a wild awesome ride.

Need to get a joystick before freespace! You know where I can get one?
I'll get back to you when I get home :) Kinda busy at work atm. PM me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker. -one of my favourite games of all time. Gorgeous visuals that age very well, fun gameplay, fantastic soundtrack, a good story, lot's of memorable bosses.

Shining Force. -not sure what it is about this game but I always seem to come back to it every now and then. It's a strategy game with lots of great characters to use. Eventually you have a small army to accompany you. Warning in advance, the Marionette is a mother fucker of a boss, especially since he shows up so early into the game.

I also recommend Super Mario Sunshine (I don't know why it gets so much flak, I like it more than 64). -Interesting and fun new mechanic with the water jet. Lots of neat places to explore. Good mix of difficulty.

007 Nightfire. -better multiplayer maps and modes than a lot of current gen games. Add super bots to your games for extra challenge. Skyrail will probably be my favourite multiplayer map forever.

Halo 1 and 2. -lots of fun gameplay, great multiplayer, and a fairly strong story.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker. -one of my favourite games of all time. Gorgeous visuals that age very well, fun gameplay, fantastic soundtrack, a good story, lot's of memorable bosses.

Shining Force. -not sure what it is about this game but I always seem to come back to it every now and then. It's a strategy game with lots of great characters to use. Eventually you have a small army to accompany you. Warning in advance, the Marionette is a mother fucker of a boss, especially since he shows up so early into the game.

I also recommend Super Mario Sunshine (I don't know why it gets so much flak, I like it more than 64). -Interesting and fun new mechanic with the water jet. Lots of neat places to explore. Good mix of difficulty.

007 Nightfire. -better multiplayer maps and modes than a lot of current gen games. Add super bots to your games for extra challenge. Skyrail will probably be my favourite multiplayer map forever.

Halo 1 and 2. -lots of fun gameplay, great multiplayer, and a fairly strong story.
Ive played every single Halo game ever released.

Halo CE is still my fave.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
h4xor555 said:
I was thinking of starting with System Shock 2. Is that a good choice? I literally cannot think of any other such older games to play.
Ok so in regards to System Shock 2.

DO. NOT. PLAY. IT.

This is by no means because it is bad, it is an incredible game. It is also MONSTROUSLY DIFFICULT. Unless you want to read through about a dozen player build guides and learn what all the words and terms mean along with figuring out your exact path through it before you play then start smaller.

System Shock 2 can literally be impossible to beat if you make the 'wrong' skill selections or don't have points or Implants boosting certain things. I mean that very literally, you can actually reach a point where you have to restart your game because of your skill choices. By all means, play it if you want a challenge but I would save that til after you're more acclimated to the difficulty of PC Games.

That brings me to my next point. PC games are a grade above Console games when it comes to difficulty. This isn't because their better but simply because PC gamers have more options in upgrading their rig and also have better peripherals. I.E. the computer has a Keyboard and Mouse to which dozens of functions can be bound. So in a console game you have [Fire, Reload, Jump, Action Key, Crouch, Grenade, Scope, etc.] in a PC game you have all of those and about 12 or so more possible options. Just a warning, I've had some friends swear off PC gaming because it's 'too hard' because they've been console gamers all their lives.

Alright, stepping outside that box...

I wouldn't try Deus Ex unless you can really look past graphics because, and I'm putting this lightly, it's fugly as shit. It's clunky, easily broken, and looks terrible on any gaming PC all packaged together with horrible optimization. That said, it has a fantastic story with deep and meaningful characters and real color and life to it. But there's also the chance it flat out won't work.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a great choice, doesn't look *too* terrible and has an unbelievably amazing story and cast of characters. Definitely give that one a look.

Both of the [Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic] games, I&II. Perfectly crafted and immersive games in the star wars universe, you can't call yourself a real PC gamer in my opinion until you've at least played them. If you don't like them, that's fine, to each their own, but they are examples of truly well crafted mechanics and storyline.

If you like strategy games I would definitely suggest Heroes of Might and Magic III along with it's little bastard children expansions. Great strategy and life to a fantasy turn based game. If you wanna go a little further back there is also the First Person RPG versions of the M&M universe: Might and Magic VI, VII, & VIII. All really good games and they've aged... decently.

For Real Time Strategy try the Age of Empires series, II or III not that Online bullshit. And for other Turn Based Strats there's always the venerable Civilization series which is always well made and good for a 10 hour civ-crafting session.

For RPG's try Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It actually doesn't look too bad compared to Oblivion though Skyrim is obviously much prettier. Morrowind is a true example of the greatness that Bethesda left behind as they ventured towards pleasing as many people as possible in the Triple A crowd.

For Consoles, get a PS2, you can probably pick one up for like, fifty bucks, probably less, at your local retailer or buy one online for even less I'd imagine. There were some AMAZING rpg titles on there like the Dot Hack series [Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine] and the Xenosaga trilogy along with other greats like Twisted Metal: Black and of course Final Fantasy [VII-XII].

Whew, ok well that should get you started along with others here. But seriously. Don't start with System Shock 2. That game is unforgiving in the extreme and really not something to cut your teeth on if you're new to gaming.