Recommend me some older games (I've only known current gen all my life)

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I'm not sure what you consider old. Pretty sure these are all games from at least 6+ years ago. Some of them you wont be able to get the full effect on. Like planetside I'm pretty certain does not have servers up for it anymore, and while Nox has a great singleplayer; it's real strength was multiplayer which is basically now only populated by Koreans who have been playing the game for 13 years and will absolutely wreck anyone who's new to the game.

Anyways from my list of PC games that are good:

Arcanum
Alien Versus Predator 2
Command and Conquer
C&C Red Alert
Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer
Nox
Planescape Torment
Starcraft
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Hitman Blood Money
Deus Ex
Doom
Doom 2
Quake
Quake 2
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Company of Heroes
Total Annihilation
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
The Curse of Monkey Island
Ultima 4
Ultima 6
Ultima 7 + Serpents Isle
Ultima 8
Syndicate(1993 Version)
System Shock 2
Theme Hospital
The Longest Journey
The Longest Journey: Dreamfall
Battlefield 1943
Call of Duty(Origional)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War + Expansions
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Giants Citizen Kabuto
Worms 2
Age of Wonders
Crusader No Regret
Crusader No Remorse
Homeworld 2
X-COM: UFO Defense
Lords of the Realm 2
Half-Life
Half-Life 2 + Episodes
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Hearts of Iron 2
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter
Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation
Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier
Counterstrike
Warcraft 2
Warcraft 3
IL-2 Sturmovik
Ultima Online
Planetside

also Peasants quest. http://www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html if it counts...

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
You should really give Anachronox a go!

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/anachronox

It's a turnbased Rpg that plays like a jrpg even though not produced in japan.
The characters are hilarious, the story is great and everything about the game is pretty unique.
Whereelse can you get a planet as companion who can attack the enemies with thermo-nuclear weapons ^^

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
h4xor555 said:
Vkmies said:
Hop on Ebay, get yourself some essentials. Shit is cheap, shit is fun, shit is amazing. Get yourself an Atari 2600, NES, SNES and a Genesis. I see those as the VERY best consoles ever made and must plays when it comes to understanding video games as a medium extensively. A lot of people will disagree with me and just recommend you 90's PC games (Golden age of gaming for me too, yes, but still) and emulators. But there is no experience like sitting in front of an old TV, playing a legitimately old game like it was meant to be played.

Check out some top ten lists for games, follow some retro gaming blogs and shows and you will start seeing certain games show up constantly. Play those. Those are probably the most memorable, interesting ones. Most of those games cost almost nothing, especially if you go flea-market hunting. Just start buying games and not caring about the year they were released. That's how easy it is. Overwhelming, but easy.

Retro gaming has been my favourite hobby for years now. Almost 10 years actually. It's hard and expensive to do in Finland, but if you live in larger countries like Germany, Japan, US or Canada, it will be easier for you. Seeing, hearing and experiencing video games that were before your time is incredibly rewarding and magical. Incredible. Some of my favourite games of all time are older than me, so just be open minded and jump into a sea of experiences you never thought you could have. I did the same and after 10 years and well over 1500 games I can say that I regret nothing.
Always wanted to do amateur classic game collecting when I live alone in my own house!

I'll grab myself a shitty old tv from the 80s, all those old consoles, and start playing.

Please do. You'll get nowhere making a list out of these THOUSANDS of suggestions you are getting. It's better to do it naturally. Get yourself equipped with old machinery and just go by what you are feeling. Want something simple? Google and youtube best Atari games and get yourself some awesome Atari games. Feeling like old JRPG's? Fire up that SNES and ebay yourself some of the best, like Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger. Lusting for exploration? Congratulations, you can choose between a lithany of Metroid and Zelda titles!

Taking every suggestion here and playing them one by one is going to make you hate yourself and a lot of great games. "Old games" is not a genre, don't treat it as one. What kind of game do you want to play? Take that, choose the best ones in history and play those. That's how you find new favourites and broaden your view. When I started collecting old console games I never knew anything about , stuff like top 10 lists and retro game youtube shows were my best friends. They helped me so much. I recommend you check that stuff too.

If you want more detailed recommendations or collecting tips, you can add me on steam. I've been trying to play all genres and all machines and eras for the past 7 years and I absolutely LOVE talking about older games! I also accept everyone and all that shit. :D
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Vkmies

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
You wanna get a Nintendo 64 and the fallowing games for it:

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Starfox 64
Donky Kong 64
Kirby 64
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Golden Eye 007
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Stadium
&
Pokemon Stadium 2.

They're all excellent games for an excellent system. Also, it was the system I grew up with (As well as the Gamecube and the original Xbox).
You forgot Jet Force Gemini and Diddy Kong Racing. Shame on you. Donkey Kong 64 was average at best too - just stick with the Banjo games for platforming.

Anyway, I strongly recommend the following Nintendo system classics (there are WAY more great games, but there's too many to list):
Arcade
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Jr.

NES
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- The Legend of Zelda
- Contra/Gryzor/Probotector
- Ninja Gaiden
- Mega Man 2/3/6
- Battletoads
- Kirby's Adventure
- Castlevania

SNES
- Super, motherfucking, Metroid. This is an absolute MUST play.
- Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3, aka Secret of Mana 2 is also good - especially the art. Beautiful game)
- Chrono Trigger
- Mega Man X
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (there's an arcade version of this too which is a little bit better)
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

N64
All the games listed above, ESPECIALLY Majora's Mask, plus:
- Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon (and the sequel)
- Super Smash Bros.

GCN
- F-Zero GX
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Metroid Prime
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

That's plenty to get you started anyway.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This is where I pop my head in and yell SOUL BLAZER, because someone has to. Its for SNES

Also, Shadowgate and Crystalis for NES.