Recommend me some point-and-click adventure games!

Aphromite

Feb 13, 2012
Klagnut said:
Can you actually get Grim Fandango now? I tried looking for it some time back but couldn't find it anywhere.

Can't believe I've never played it. Have always wanted to!
I've been wanting to go back and play GF for the longest time. Unfortunately whenever I try to install it, it coughs and splurts and it is no more. Been waiting for a GOG release just to experience the wonder again but no dice so far.

Anyone tried to play this recently on anything other than Win98?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Most games by Wadjet eye are nice AGs. Blackwell 1&2, Primordia, Resonance, Gemini Rue.
Not for gfx whores, but great stuff for fans of the old classics like monkey island and DOTT.

Probably not too helpful though as any enthousiast of the genre will already have played the classics and all the usual indie stuff. Book of Unwritten Tales already mentioned? Probably.

The Inner World was okay. It's a new game that not many have played yet, I guess. Some mildly challenging puzzles, nothing illogical, a cute setting and a passably, mediocre story.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
Aphromite said:
Anyone tried to play this recently on anything other than Win98?
I hope GOG picks up Grim Fandango someday too. In the meantime: http://residualvm.org/

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
If recent games are being mentioned too, I'm going to say Machinarium. It's a nice little puzzle adventure.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
SweetShark said:
Pohaturon said:
Just a heads up to the OP, Broken Sword just got the humble bundle treatment, but unfortunately it's the director's cut version.
Do with this information as you will.
I had plans to play this game, because I played the old version of the second game of the series.
Is there a problem with the remake?
Personally i think the remake is great, the new segments are quite good and they didn't change too much in the old parts. I see no reapn not o choose the directors cut.

Tou shold play DreamWeb, a trippy mix of Blade Runner and Mayrix with a pretty dark storyline and a brilliant soundtrack. Th game oozes atmosphere. You play as a guy (who looks like Burke from Aliens) who has weird dreams where he is told to kill off a bunch of important media personalities and politicians in order to prevent something bad from happening. The cool thing ss that you never really know if you are doing the right thing or not. It's a pretty violent game though, it's the only game where i have seen a guys brain splattered on a wall, even though it's viewed from top down, it gets quite brutal at times, but it's an excellent game with good puzzles for the most part (There's atleast one terrible puzzle in there that i really hate).

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I'd recommend the Monkey island games (although most of the item interactions are just stupid), Sanitarium (the first one i finished without any assistance and moderately sensible item uses), Beyond a steel sky (classic but tricky in places, especially right at the start), Broken sword (absolutely genius "tonight is the night of the monkey dance!").

They've all probably been mentioned but those are the ones i've played and enjoyed. Heard good things about Day of the tentacle but never actually played it so i won't give it the thumbs up. Also, i seem to recall a website that was giving away old point and clicks (Beyond a steel sky, teenagent and a few others) for free as long as you signed up for an account, can't remember the website though and it was about a year ago so the free games may have changed to something else.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Pohaturon said:
SweetShark said:
Pohaturon said:
Just a heads up to the OP, Broken Sword just got the humble bundle treatment, but unfortunately it's the director's cut version.
Do with this information as you will.
I had plans to play this game, because I played the old version of the second game of the series.
Is there a problem with the remake?
Well, the thing with the remake is that they cut out all clickables that were not absolutely necessary from continuing the game. The originals had tons of these things, where you could find out about stuff that wasn't connected to solving the current puzzle. It gave the game much of it's charm hearing the protagonist's witty comments about pretty much everything. And now getting past certain points gets much quicker as there are a lot less possibilities.
So don't expect any goats talking because you have 'em lucky coal in the new versions.
Are you sure? In the Wii version you can click on almost everything on screen to hear his commentaries.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Pohaturon said:
MrBaskerville said:
Pohaturon said:
Are you sure? In the Wii version you can click on almost everything on screen to hear his commentaries.
Well, the PC, android and DS version of the director's cut was severely mutilated. dunno about Wii.
It's probably the same for Wii, i should find an original copy then, it's a really good game. I would miss the new parts though, i think it's some nice additions to the game.

Aug 19, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
Pohaturon said:
MrBaskerville said:
Pohaturon said:
Well, the PC, android and DS version of the director's cut was severely mutilated. dunno about Wii.
It's probably the same for Wii, i should find an original copy then, it's a really good game. I would miss the new parts though, i think it's some nice additions to the game.
The additional part is only the nico part prior to the café bombing, I think. Do correct me if i'm wrong.

fi22000

Mar 10, 2012
Juste Goose said:
I've never played any point-and-click adventure games. They're a little before my time; I didn't start "gaming" until the very late 90's/early 2000's.

Recently, I watched Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest IV on Steam Train, and they looked like a hoot and a half. I'd like to give the genre a go, but I don't know where to begin.

So, what do you guys recommend I start with? I'd prefer something that isn't too serious, and not impossible to figure out. Bonus points if it's less than $10.
As I'm a bit too lazy to scroll through the pages and see whether or not anybody else gave the same answers, I'll simply tell you good-to-excellent point-and-click games I can think of:

GRIM FANDAGO - It has a great story and excellent puzzles. Basically any other point-and-click also by the legendary Tim Schafer.

INFECTED: THE TWIN VACCINE - This is a very fun game with some enjoyable hidden object situations. However, it is surprisingly short and feels too episodic as a result, even if you buy the collector's edition on Steam which includes a bonus chapter. I think I bought it for about US$12.99 which was a bit much for the value. Still worth a look.

SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE AWAKENED - Now this is probably one of my favourites. Brilliantly complex, dark and creepy storyline with some fantastically ingenious puzzles. However, I strongly insist you look at the remastered edition on Steam as it polishes many things and offers hints if you are stuck. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is also a very good choice.

MACHINARIUM - Also what I consider one of the best point-and-clicks around. Once again some fantastic puzzles and a very moving story. If you love that one you will most definitely like the developer's other games like Samorost and Botanicula.

STILL LIFE - It's predecessor 'Post Mortem' is also very good, but that game is full of lengthy dialogue sections that are impossible to skip, speed through or even pause. Basically 'Still Life' keeps all that is good about it while fixing its mistakes. This one is definitely worth checking out.

That's all I can think of at this very moment. Hope it helps :)

TheRaider

Jul 4, 2010
For the classic ones I totally recommend the space quest series, although I might start at the ones where it became point and click.

danyald

Sep 9, 2014

I have played an excellent Point and Click Horror-Adventure game. It is a very new game released in last few days
I recommend you to try this amazing game

Here is the complete description of game

our men mysteriously disappear form the house. Some says they are kidnapped and some says they have found a treasure and are hiding from government

As a private investigator, you decided to investigate this house to unveil the secret behind this story.

What exactly has happened? Is it true that there is a hidden treasure in this house?

Features:

Point and Click game

Horror-Adventure genre

Exciting and interesting story-line

Easy gameplay

Amazing, difficult and challenging puzzles to solve

Download Here
http://danyald.itch.io/the-secret

Screenshots