Recommend me some quality Saxophone music please?

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Howdy Escapist, I've recently started to play the Saxophone, Alto to be specific and looking through my music Library, I've noticed that it quite bereft of any quality Saxophone music. I'm open to pretty much any genre (Jazz, Blues, Bebop etc) so if any of you know of some really good music I can tune my ears to, that would be much appreciated.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
There's a group out there called Moon Hooch who are literally two saxophones and a drummer.
I got to see them open for They Might Be Giants a couple weeks back, and I was astounded.
I'm not sure what songs they played that night, but the closest thing I can equate their performance to is saxophone dubstep.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Check out Cannonball Adderley (alto) and Hank Mobley (tenor)! Great choice of instrument, btw :)

I generally prefer tenor saxophonists, but Cannonball is a great alto player and I think he sounds great in this live recording of Sticks.

Mobley always sounds really laid back and smooth.

I love this soundtrack.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
For some contrast: Charles Mingus - Moanin' (though he played bass himself) for some excellent jazzamatazz, and Ohrwurm for a fantastic bass intro and sax solo! Also, it's death metal. Also, never watch the music video.

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
Really no one has posted it yet? Well ok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1kApnsayeQ

but Careless Whisper is great too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKn5BGTGMM

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
Well there's this 'ol thing, which as a fan of saxophone music you're required BY LAW to know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
smearyllama said:
You beat me to it, Moon Hooch ftw!
Where did you see them?

I went to the Paramount on long island a month or two back to go see They might be giants and was absolutely blown away by Moon Hooch, I bought the digital version of the album that night, they had sold out of disks.

We then went to see Moon Hooch at the Sinclair just outside of Boston, They might be giants was awesome of course but I was there for Moon Hooch this time. I got my autographed disk and talked with the guys a little bit after the show. I mentioned to Mike that during his minute long circular breathing solo that my g/f said... "He fingered a girl once, she died" he thought it was funny enough to type it into his phone.

They call it cave music, there was a caveman, seriously, a painted and fur wearing cave man at the Paramount.

They really are awesome, I haven't heard something new like this in a long time.
It has a video game sound track feel to it at some points and they are definitely a band that needs to be seen live. The recordings don't do them justice, I've never heard saxophones make sounds like that before. And the drummer is so crisp he's like a machine.

They turned me into a frikin fanboy in one show. You can listen to the whole album on their website.

http://moonhooch.bandcamp.com/

I cant really say I have a favorite track but check out track 14, the female vocals give me chills.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Out of curiosity, which type of sax are you playing? Alto? Tenor? Baritone?

Since I'm not as musically well-versed to post anything Jazz/Blues/Bebop, I'll stick to a band that I've always relied on when it came to brass/sax sections: Streetlight Manifesto! Mind you, they're more punk/ska, so if that ain't what you're looking for then sorry mate. But I consider them still worthy of checking out regardless.

Here's why:
Look at that barry-sax player! Crazy ************!

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Serinanth said:
smearyllama said:
You beat me to it, Moon Hooch ftw!
Where did you see them?
Saw them down in Richmond, Virginia at the National. Made sure to grab the new album and a sticker while I was there. My dad's been playing sax for years, and he was absolutely blown away by them as well.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Sax and Viola are on my list of instruments to learn, I really enjoy the sound of both instruments:

And of course no list of Saxophonists can be complete nowadays without Colin Stetson, magnificent Drone Jazz. The way he utilizes the Sax is insane! It doesn't even sound like a Sax at all:

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
mrhappy1489 said:
Howdy Escapist, I've recently started to play the Saxophone, Alto to be specific and looking through my music Library, I've noticed that it quite bereft of any quality Saxophone music. I'm open to pretty much any genre (Jazz, Blues, Bebop etc) so if any of you know of some really good music I can tune my ears to, that would be much appreciated.
I haven't picked up my saxophone for at least 5 years, you may have just inspired me to start up again. It's not saxophone music but "Today - Tom Scott" contains my favourite and one of the most famous saxophones of all time.