Recommend me some Superhero Movies!

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Ok, I'll start by saying that I'm not sure if this topic should be in the Off-topic discussion forum. maybe it should be in the advice forum. I'm not sure.

anyways, So I just saw the trailer for the new Spiderman Movie and the avengers movie and I got in the mood for a superhero movie/series or some other geeky movie/Series.
could you recommend me some?

I've seen:
Spiderman 1,2 and 3
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 1 and 2
not sure of the names of the batman movies . Batman begins and batman: the dark knight

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Well you may as well watch The Incredible Hulk from 2008. It's not brilliant by any means but it's ok and it's part of the Marvel Movie Universe.

I'd definitely recommend the X-Men movies, particularly the first two. X-Men Last Stand is a bit meh, Origins is decent enough and I haven't seen First Class but I've heard good things about it.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Kick Ass and Super are both decent dark comedy takes on the hero genre.

Batman and Batman Returns are pretty good Batman movies, any of the non-Nolan ones after that are not worth your time.

I liked the Hulk movie with Norton more than the one with Bana.

As for the X-Men movies, the first two are well worth watching and First Class is one of the better Marvel comic movies, in my opinion.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I really liked kick ass and watchmen. I also grew up watching the Batman and Batman Returns. Great animated movie is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Defendor is another one similar to Kick-Ass and Super, which have both already been recommended.

All of the X-Men movies are very well worth watching. (Well, Origins: Wolverine is just okay, but besides that. And The Last Stand was fine, people! XP)

The director's cut of Daredevil was decent enough, and probably worth your time. I personally had some fun with Elektra, but I recognize I'm in the vast minority here.

Punisher: War Zone is a ton of fun, and also the only Punisher movie worth watching.

That's all I have for you at the moment!

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Definitely a different sort of "superhero" franchise but the movies do qualify.

Similarly, the first two Blade movies were pretty badass as well (gee, you get the feeling from these recommendations that I like Guillermo del Toro?) - again, they're not like the sample movies you mentioned, but Blade IS (loosely) based on a Marvel character and Wesley Snipes does a great job with the character.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Punisher: War Zone

It's a ton of fun, extremely violent and, generally overlooked. The first Punisher is also pretty good but War Zone is by far my favorite Marvel movie. Yes, even counting recent Marvel movies (haven't seen Avengers yet)

Also BLANKMAN. It was made in the mid 90's I think, by the Wayen's Brothers (I probably spelled that wrong). It's heavily inspired by Batman and it a pretty good comedy. Check it out if you can find it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Superman and Superman II

I think they hold up pretty well even thirty years on - you will believe that a man can fly - and Christopher Reeve remains the definitive live action Superman.

Superman III is more of at matter of individual taste (personally I quite enjoyed it) but IV is terrible beyond belief and should never be seen by anyone.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
The Incredibles.

Not just a great superhero film but my personal favorite animated film.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Spiderman series
Nolan's Batman films
All the X-Men films are worth a watch
Kick-Ass
Scott Pilgrim (sorta)

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Trifixion said:
Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Definitely a different sort of "superhero" franchise but the movies do qualify.
Hellboy 1, yes. 2, meh. It's decent. I found a copy of Hellboy: Director's Cut, on blu-ray, for $10. Really good, and very much worth it.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Have you seen Batman 1989 and Batman Returns? Dear god. Watch them. Best Batman films to date. WATCH THEM

X-men: First Class
Watchmen
Incredible Hulk
Hellboy 1 and 2

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Oh man, superheroes. My friends & family always joke about my obsession with them haha.

How do you feel about animated series/films? Cuz some of the best superhero stories are told in that medium.
The Spectacular Spider-Man (series), Batman: Under the Red Hood (movie), Batman Beyond (series), Batman: Year One (movie), Batman TAS (series), The Avengers (TV series), The Incredibles (movie), JLA: Crisis on Two Earths (movie), Young Justice (series), Superman: Doomsday (movie), Megamind (movie)

However if you're looking for some live-action, here are some you haven't mentioned:
Kick-Ass
Batman (1989) & Batman Returns
Watchmen
Hellboy
X-Men 1 & First Class (2 was okay, but was NOT a fan of Last Stand, or Origins, ugh)
Hancock (I know this movie got kind of ripped on by reviewers, but I honestly liked it)
Chronicle (I'm surprised no one's mentioned this)
Heroes (first season only, everything went to sheeyit afterwards)
Misfits (British TV series... surprisingly good)

If you're okay with more... unconventional superhero stories there are:
Road to Perdition (okay, barely even superhero, but it was a comic book and it's freakin awesome)
Unbreakable
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
A lot of the animated movies can be very good such as...

The Avengers 1 & 2 were good and the Next Avengers which had some flaws but also some very good parts
Planet Hulk (mentioned earlier) was awesome
The Invincible Iron Man was ok in my opinion but not the best
Batman Year One (mentioned earlier)
Green Lantern First Flight
Batman/Superman Apocalypse is awesome, and the Batman/Superman Public Enemies was good
Justice League crisis on two earths was pretty good as well (mentioned earlier)