Recommend some PS3 exclusives to an XBox 360 user

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
Erm, I wouldn't strictly rule it out as gameplay. If you're doing a drive by, escaping cops, racing etc then it's providing a challenge and so I would call it gameplay (not saying "challenge = gameplay") but getting from point A to point B is just commuting!

Like walking round in skyrim ... nobody is playing that game as a rambler. "I could slay dragons and stop the big bad or be a legendary black smith but I would rather do none of that, I want to strap up my walking boots and wander for 200 hours", it's a pretty game but fucking hell!
Let me approach this from a different angle -

You know games like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog?

Or Bit.Trip Runner or Super Meat Boy?

Those all have the same type of gameplay that Journey does.

Now, I don't want to derail this thread, so if you're going to refuse the existence of the platforming genre as a whole, then all I have to say is "good day".

EDIT: Though first, I think you'd actually be surprised by how many people find their fun in games like Skyrim by simply wandering around and just looking for random things to stumble upon. In fact, most games are literally about getting from Point A to Point B when you simplify them that much.
Why do you keep putting things in italics?
Because from a writing standpoint, titles are supposed to be distinguished from normal typing in such a way.

Anyway, Mario = timing, sonic = speed, bit.trip = speed and super meat boy = difficulty. Flower and journey are like Dear Esther slow, plodding games without much of anything going on.
And you just said in the previous post that challenge =/= gameplay. Literally the only difference between Journey and any of those four games I mentioned is "challenge".

I'm not derailing this thread any further. There really is no point anyway if you can't see the difference between games like Journey and Dear Esther.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
Erm, I wouldn't strictly rule it out as gameplay. If you're doing a drive by, escaping cops, racing etc then it's providing a challenge and so I would call it gameplay (not saying "challenge = gameplay") but getting from point A to point B is just commuting!

Like walking round in skyrim ... nobody is playing that game as a rambler. "I could slay dragons and stop the big bad or be a legendary black smith but I would rather do none of that, I want to strap up my walking boots and wander for 200 hours", it's a pretty game but fucking hell!
Let me approach this from a different angle -

You know games like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog?

Or Bit.Trip Runner or Super Meat Boy?

Those all have the same type of gameplay that Journey does.

Now, I don't want to derail this thread, so if you're going to refuse the existence of the platforming genre as a whole, then all I have to say is "good day".

EDIT: Though first, I think you'd actually be surprised by how many people find their fun in games like Skyrim by simply wandering around and just looking for random things to stumble upon. In fact, most games are literally about getting from Point A to Point B when you simplify them that much.
Why do you keep putting things in italics?
Because from a writing standpoint, titles are supposed to be distinguished from normal typing in such a way.

Anyway, Mario = timing, sonic = speed, bit.trip = speed and super meat boy = difficulty. Flower and journey are like Dear Esther slow, plodding games without much of anything going on.
And you just said in the previous post that challenge =/= gameplay. Literally the only difference between Journey and any of those four games I mentioned is "challenge".

I'm not derailing this thread any further. There really is no point anyway if you can't see the difference between games like Journey and Dear Esther.
Yeah, challenge doesn't equal gameplay but it also can be gameplay depending on the game (didn't think I had to clarify it that much).

The only difference in Journey and Dear Esther is one kind of co-op and the other is a solo affair.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Tales of Xillia, sure the environments are a bit copy paste, and the enemies are all reskins, but load times are insanely short, the games runs at a smooth 60fps, mob battles are really short, and the real time combat system is really easy to learn and insanely difficult to master. the characters are interesting, and the skit system really helps to flesh out the characters. though you really need to advance the game if you don't care for cliches, as the Tales games tend to subvert cliches. what they do is use cliches as a starting point for the games, and then build the story up from there, and the story starts picking apart the cliches. Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss are two great examples of this being done. and any annoying characters are there to annoy you, so if Teepo annoys you, that is the intended reaction, well there is two with teepo, either you think it's cute or you think it's annoying. also, the reason or the copy pasted environments is because they had a limited amount of time to make the game, and that Tales of Zesteria (expected release exclusively for the PS3 summer 2015-winter early 2016) and it will be an open world Tales game. the Tales games don't focus on graphics but rather good art direction, interesting character designs, and 60fps, they will do anything to achieve that when possible.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Tanis said:
What type of games do you like?

My first suggestions are:
Ni No Kuni
Ico/SotC HD Collection
FF10/10-2 HD Remastered
Journey Collection
Killzone Collection
Jax & Daxter HD Collection
etc
Ah, you've played Ni No Kuni? I've gotten a little ways in. I'm just curious. Does the game every stop presenting you with puzzles that you aren't allowed to solve until everything has been spelled out for you? I'm hoping it's just a tutorial thing. It's getting pretty annoying.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
If you've got friends to join you, try Dragon's Crown. It makes for some fun couch co-op. You can also do some online co-op, but the game doesn't let you do that until your character has reached a certain point in the game.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Sack of Cheese said:
Catherine - Puzzle game with a great story.

Nier - An overlooked JRPG. So polarised you either love it, or hate it.
Captain Nitpicking to the rescue!!! These aren't exclusive titles.

Going off the fighting game thing if you're in North America then PS3 is the only place for Arcana Heart 3.
The Resistance series is supposed to be alright.

Pretty much everything else that came to mind has been mentioned.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Sack of Cheese said:
Catherine - Puzzle game with a great story.

Nier - An overlooked JRPG. So polarised you either love it, or hate it.
Captain Nitpicking to the rescue!!! These aren't exclusive titles.
Pffff... shoo shoo! Go away! Who asked for you anyway?

(In all seriousness, I got them for the Ps3, so I forgot they're multiplatform.)

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Ratchet and clank, they are the reason I OWN a PS3 (and 2 as well come to that) and you can buy the 4 originals as HD remakes plus the new ones are all on the PS3 (except the 2 handhelds obviously)

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
I will also vouch for Journey (and to the person arguing above it does have gameplay, it even has a couple simple stealth sections, the gameplay isn't what makes it great that would be its beautiful environments, awesome soundtrack and how well it expresses its themes through the gameplay). Its only real downside to me is that its pretty short for how much it costs, though it does have some replay value.

For PS2 classics there is the Ratchet and Clank collection (as well as the modern R&C future games), Psychonauts, and the Sly Cooper collection (can't speak for Thieves in time, having not played it). There is also Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, and God Hand for some others.

As other have brought up Demon's Souls is pretty awesome, and contains one of my favorite levels in any game ever, the Tower of Latria, if you've played Dark Souls as well then Demon's Souls probably won't even be that hard for you, though it is even more preparation focused than its successor.

Finally one I don't think I've seen others recommending is the Resistance series by Insomniac (same guys who make Ratchet and Clank). Resistance 1 is a lot of fun, though very grey brown, Resistance 2 is a lot more colorful and is really fun (though its gameplay changes put off a lot of fans), and Resistance 3 is the best in the series (even Yahtzee gave a fairly positive review of it). 1 and 3 also have pretty fun coop, which is a plus, 2 also has coop but its a different beast and only really works when playing it online.