Recommend some PS3 exclusives to an XBox 360 user

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Okay, so I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought a used PS3 because I really, really wanted to play The Last of Us (which was excellent, by the way) and work my way through some of the games I missed by being an XBox-only guy for the last few years. So far I've played:

The Last of Us (obviously)
inFamous
inFamous 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

...and waiting in the wings I've got:

God of War 1 and 2
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

What might I still be missing? What are your absolute must-have PS3-only games?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Well, people are going to say FLOWER and JOURNEY! But I think both are total shite (aren't games meant to have gameplay?).

I would say get a racer that ALWAYS gets over looked. Motorstorm! All the tracks are done on cliffs and stuff, not conventional tracks. There are a variety of vehicle types, all have there own strengths and weaknesses (bike will go on all the twisty tracks and use jumps but can be knocked off, 18 wheelers have the most boost but sluggish, sports cars are super fast on flat but suck in mud).

Has nice touches like water cools down boost quicker, lava will make it build up quicker and you can explode over the line and steal a win.

They start really easy and get super hard as you progress!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Welp, the Ratchet and Clank series is a lot of fun for the PS3 I say. If you enjoy Strategy RPGs then there are a few recommendations, such as Valkyria Chronicles and the Disgaea series as well. There are some HD collections, like the Sly Cooper HD Collection, Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix, and soon the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMix will be coming out later this year as well.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
omega 616 said:
Well, people are going to say FLOWER and JOURNEY! But I think both are total shite (aren't games meant to have gameplay?).
They're almost entirely gameplay. Being a gameplay style you don't like (or not having lots of killing and action) doesn't suddenly make it not gameplay. You might as well say Portal has no gameplay.

But to prove his first sentence correct, I will suggest Journey, actually. It's short, and if you don't like "arty" indie games simply on principle then you might not enjoy your time with it, but I and many others found it to be a very exquisite journey through a very beautifully crafted world.

It would help to know your likes and dislikes, though. While they were largely also PS2 games, I could recommend Okami HD, the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus, but if you don't like action-adventure games, stealth games, or abstract puzzle-action-adventure-boss-rush games, then you probably wouldn't like them.

There's Demon's Souls, the spiritual predecessor to Dark Souls.

There's Heavy Rain, for David Cage insanity in interactive film form with a slightly more coherent narrative than Beyond: Two Souls.

There's Puppeteer, a 2D platformer which I haven't played yet but want to, and it got a very good reception.

There's Valkyria Chronicles, for something of a tactical JRPG.

And for a more "classic" action-JRPG, Tales of Xillia.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
They're almost entirely gameplay. Being a gameplay style you don't like (or not having lots of killing and action) doesn't suddenly make it not gameplay. You might as well say Portal has no gameplay.
Holding forward and gliding isn't game play and despite playing flower, I have fuck all clue on what I have to do...just "playing" as gods fart.

Portal had puzzles ...

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
Holding forward and gliding isn't game play and despite playing flower, I have fuck all clue on what I have to do...just "playing" as gods fart.

Portal had puzzles ...
So... you missed all of the actual environmental stuff, then? Like, actually traversing through the areas, and finding the scarf emblems, and the whole segment with the tower where you had to activate all of the floaty pillars so you could go up it? And the segment moving through the snow where you would just freeze if you simply trudged through the ice without a care for staying close to your traveling buddy?

It's fine if you didn't like the game. But it has gameplay.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:

Portal had puzzles ...
So... you missed all of the actual environmental stuff, then? Like, actually traversing through the areas, and finding the scarf emblems, and the whole segment with the tower where you had to activate all of the floaty pillars so you could go up it? And the segment moving through the snow where you would just freeze if you simply trudged through the ice without a care for staying close to your traveling buddy?

Traversing through environments AKA moving forward.

If that is what you count as gameplay, you have a very broad definition.

Maybe it's just me being uncultured but artsy games suck for the most part.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:

Portal had puzzles ...

By your definition, driving around in Grand Theft Auto isn't gameplay.

So yes, I have a "very broad" definition of gameplay in comparison to you, at least.

That's your prerogative. I'm simply providing a counterpoint.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:

Portal had puzzles ...

By your definition, driving around in Grand Theft Auto isn't gameplay.

So yes, I have a "very broad" definition of gameplay in comparison to you, at least.

That's your prerogative. I'm simply providing a counterpoint.
Erm, I wouldn't strictly rule it out as gameplay. If you're doing a drive by, escaping cops, racing etc then it's providing a challenge and so I would call it gameplay (not saying "challenge = gameplay") but getting from point A to point B is just commuting!

Like walking round in skyrim ... nobody is playing that game as a rambler. "I could slay dragons and stop the big bad or be a legendary black smith but I would rather do none of that, I want to strap up my walking boots and wander for 200 hours", it's a pretty game but fucking hell!

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
omega 616 said:
Erm, I wouldn't strictly rule it out as gameplay. If you're doing a drive by, escaping cops, racing etc then it's providing a challenge and so I would call it gameplay (not saying "challenge = gameplay") but getting from point A to point B is just commuting!

Like walking round in skyrim ... nobody is playing that game as a rambler. "I could slay dragons and stop the big bad or be a legendary black smith but I would rather do none of that, I want to strap up my walking boots and wander for 200 hours", it's a pretty game but fucking hell!
Let me approach this from a different angle -

You know games like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog?

Or Bit.Trip Runner or Super Meat Boy?

Those all have the same type of gameplay that Journey does.

Now, I don't want to derail this thread, so if you're going to refuse the existence of the platforming genre as a whole, then all I have to say is "good day".

EDIT: Though first, I think you'd actually be surprised by how many people find their fun in games like Skyrim by simply wandering around and just looking for random things to stumble upon. In fact, most games are literally about getting from Point A to Point B when you simplify them that much.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I'll vouch for Flower and Journey, too. Even if you aren't into racing games that much, I'd still strongly recommend Wipeout HD + Fury. I wasn't terribly interested in racing games AND I got it for free a few years back, but even then it's my personal favorite PS3 game. Also: Tokyo Jungle, Okami HD (especially if you've never played it on wii or ps2), LittleBigPlanet 2, and Ni no Kuni.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, you've played TLoU, so that wipes out half my recommendations.

The other half consists of Journey. Although, as the argument above indicates, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Oh, and honourable mention to the Ico + Shadow of the Colossus HD release. Assuming you don't already have them on PS2.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Last of Us:

Seriously the internet didn't shut up about this game because it is that good.

Valkyria Chronicles:

Hidden gem of a dying genre and good if you have a soft spot for anime.

Demon Souls:

Where Souls all started and def worth a single player trip for awesome bosses and settings.

MGS 4:

Mostly applies if you are a Metal Gear fan.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
What type of games do you like?

My first suggestions are:
Ni No Kuni
Ico/SotC HD Collection
FF10/10-2 HD Remastered
Journey Collection
Killzone Collection
Jax & Daxter HD Collection
etc

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For RPGs there's Demon's Souls (the "original" Dark Souls), Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown and the Disgaea games.
The Shadow of the Colossus / Ico HD collection is well worth its price if you haven't played at least one of those games.
Also Flow/Flower/Journey.

Sep 13, 2009
It really depends what you're into. A lot of the games I love on the Ps3 are definitely not for everyone. SotC and Okami are safe bets. SotC (Shadow of the Colossus, pictured to my left) has really unique gameplay style, great art direction, and a really compelling story (if a lot of it is left ambiguous). The only complaint I have about it is that I thought that the HD collection looked and played worse than the PS2 version. There's some really strange lighting effects added in the HD edition that look off to me, and in the gameplay they have made it so you will flop around like a rag doll from the smallest movements from the Colossi. It might have made it harder, but not in a good way. With some of the colossi it's just ungodly frustrating. Still a great game on either console, and so long as you're not trying time attack the Ps3 version won't make you want to tear your eyes out.

Ico and Journey are both great, but a lot of people just don't get into them. They're both games way more about building great experiences than they are about overcoming a series of challenges. They're both absolutely beautiful games with great worlds, and I found both to be pretty emotional. Both are also great examples of minimalist storytelling

Demon's Souls would also get a recommendation if you ever got into Dark Souls.

And in an attempt to give a suggestion that hasn't been made yet, in a little while Persona 4 will be released for the Ps3. I've played the Vita version of the game, and it's pretty good. Definitely one of the better JRPG's I've played in a while

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
The new FFX/X-2 Remaster is worth buying. Pretty sure you can buy the entire Ratchet and Clank franchise on PS3 (aside from the handheld games).

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Some games people haven't recommended, but you might like:
Atelier series - Part JRPG, part time-management and part dating sims.

AquaPazza - 2D Fighting game, I thought it's pretty fun.

Blazblue - One of the best 2D fighter out there.

Catherine - Puzzle game with a great story.

Killzone - It has this weighty feel, the shooting part feels great and the atmosphere is intense. Pick up Killzone 3 instead of Killzone 2. I love 2 too, but some might not like it.

No more heroes 2 - If you enjoy Suda51's other wacky gamess, then you might love this.

Nier - An overlooked JRPG. So polarised you either love it, or hate it.

Sengoku Basara - Capcom's answer to Toei's Warriors series, very fun!

Yakuza 3 & 4, if you can read Japanese: Yakuza 5 is the best one yet. They're a lot like Shenmue, a sandbox brawler takes place in small cities (2 for Yakuza 3, only 1 for Yakuza 4). Story is a lot like Game of Thrones, with clans and leaders trying to fight each other for power.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
omega 616 said:

Let me approach this from a different angle -

You know games like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog?

Or Bit.Trip Runner or Super Meat Boy?

Those all have the same type of gameplay that Journey does.

Now, I don't want to derail this thread, so if you're going to refuse the existence of the platforming genre as a whole, then all I have to say is "good day".

EDIT: Though first, I think you'd actually be surprised by how many people find their fun in games like Skyrim by simply wandering around and just looking for random things to stumble upon. In fact, most games are literally about getting from Point A to Point B when you simplify them that much.
Why do you keep putting things in italics?

Anyway, Mario = timing, sonic = speed, bit.trip = speed and super meat boy = difficulty. Flower and journey are like Dear Esther slow, plodding games without much of anything going on.

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
Journey, Journey, Journey, one million times Journey (and use headphones when you play it --the music really makes this game).
I will also echo Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls, and Ni No Kuni because they deserve to be repeated.

An interesting one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Heavy Rain. It is not a "great" game (and it isn't for everyone), but it is an experience worth having if you can get it at a decent price.