Recommendations

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Bruno Faidutti's games Citadels and Mascarde are good little games. They're both based around using the abilities of character cards to build up points while subverting your opponents, but Citadels is based more around anticipating your opponen'ts moves while Mascarade is more about bluffing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Got Scthye, Hive, Wingspan, Forbidden Island and Roll for the Galaxy from my brother who thought I might like it

I left some of the other on the wishlist for next year. Thanks

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Been trying Escape Room the Game (Family Edition) recently which is...kinda a mixed bag. Long story short it's a riddle game. You get a bag of stuff and a set of instructions on what to do with it, which will hint to you what key combination you need to put in the box to move onto the next phase. Each module has 3 phases. And for a one-off game, it's fun enough. We had a group of 4 and ended up finishing the module with about 6 minutes left in the 60 minute time limit. There's a major asterisk on this though: It is fundamentally a one-off game. There are three modules to the box, meant to be part of an overarching story and therefore played in that order (albeit not necessarily all at once). And each module will always have the same answers. There is no variability to it, and solving the hints can result in permanent alterations to the clues that prejudice future games (eg, step 1 in module one tells you to make a paper airplane out of one of the clues, meaning that next time the folds will already be evident, streamlining the process a bit). So it's enjoyable if everyone has their thinking caps on, but its replayability is compromised.

OblongYellow

Alien ID: Oblong Yellow 47
Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to get back into board games again as my kids get older. I’m looking for some recommendations for good new board games, probably within the last 5years. I’m particularly looking for recommendations from people that’s are many normal sources.

I like bluffing games like Sheriff of Nottingham and One Night
Card building games from Dominion to Villagers
Strategy games like Cyclades
Coop games like Dead of a Winter
Pattern games like Azul
Short games like love letter and Mint Julep
probably staying away from Gloomhaven or similar really long games right now?

Got any recommendations?
These are the games that my family plays whenever my teenage nephews and nieces come over, hope this helps a bit :giggle: :

Codenames: Harry Potter
Codenames
Not Parent Approved
Throw Throw Burrito
Pandemic: Rapid Response
Articulate!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My mom loves board games, so as she's visiting for the holiday, she went out and bought us her new favorite: Qwirkle. Don't let it's simple appearance fool you; while it can be played by children as young as 6, it is fun for adults and VERY difficult to master as it require strategy and keen awareness of everything going on on the table as the game unfolds. My mom has a savant-like ability with games like this. I liken it to a hybrid between Scrabble, Uno and dominoes, if you can imagine what that'd be like.

1637777433013.png

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
My mom loves board games, so as she's visiting for the holiday, she went out and bought us her new favorite: Qwirkle. Don't let it's simple appearance fool you; while it can be played by children as young as 6, it is fun for adults and VERY difficult to master as it require strategy and keen awareness of everything going on on the table as the game unfolds. My mom has a savant-like ability with games like this. I liken it to a hybrid between Scrabble, Uno and dominoes, if you can imagine what that'd be like.

View attachment 4982
Oh yeah, Qwirkle's great. They've got a different version called Qwirkle cubes that plays basically the same but has, well, cubes so you can reroll what symbols you have

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh yeah, Qwirkle's great. They've got a different version called Qwirkle cubes that plays basically the same but has, well, cubes so you can reroll what symbols you have
Oh no, I'm now compelled to tell my mom about the Cubes version to see how stupid good she is at this game. I swear, it's like playing Blackjack with someone who counts cards; she knows what's in my hand and what I'm about to do damn-near every turn I take.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I thought monopoly was a torture device to make people hate each other
People blame video games for violence and this game exists. Don't get me started on risk. Never played, but when my Dad was Airforce in the Vietnam War, the different families my parents were friends with got into a big game of it on the airbase. Took three days and literally had armed guards to make sure no one cheated.

Have you tried one of the various settlers of Katan or Apples to Apples?

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Apples to Apples is pretty fun. Settlers of Katan was a fun experience for me