Recommended original xbox games, (Besides Halo 1 and 2)

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Aw, damn. Panzer Dragoon Orta was going to be the first game I recommended.
Anyway, here's some of my favourite original Xbox exclusives:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - It's Elder Scrolls. I really don't think I need to say anything else. And as much as I love Skyrim and sort of love Oblivion, to me Morrowind is the best game in the series because of how much depth it has. Only downside is it really hasn't aged very well. Yeah.

Blinx 1 & 2 - The closest thing the Xbox has to its own Mario or Crash Bandicoot. And they're pretty damn good.

Fable: The Lost Chapters - I think for anyone that didn't ride the hype train before it was released, this game is bloody fantastic. Don't let Fable 2 or 3 put you off, the first game is much, much better.

Enclave - It's easy to think of this as a spiritual predecessor for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It isn't, but it's very similar, just level-based. If you like those definitely give it a try.
[sub](In fact now that I think about it I'm fairly sure the same woman who narrates Dark Souls' opening cinematic also narrates Enclave's Light campaign. Huh.)[/sub]

Jet Set Radio Future - Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio's sort-of sequel. Took that game and made it even more awesome. Even if you don't like the original game, give it a try. It fixed a LOT of the original game's problems.

Unreal Championship 1 & 2 - Especially the second one. I can't really think of anything to say about them, they're just good games.

Thief: Deadly Shadows - I know everyone hates this one for not being as good as the first two games but I haven't played the first two and I friggin' love this game. If you like stealth games you owe it to yourself to play it.

I'm probably forgetting some but yeah, those are some of my favourites. The original Xbox is way too underrated. If Microsoft bothered to market anything other than Halo decently it would've gotten a much better reputation.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
The Xbox version of Silent Hill 2 - for some reason, the graphic qualities of the Xbox lend a really nice touch to SH2's visuals.

JasonKaotic said:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - It's Elder Scrolls. I really don't think I need to say anything else. And as much as I love Skyrim and sort of love Oblivion, to me Morrowind is the best game in the series because of how much depth it has. Only downside is it really hasn't aged very well. Yeah.
If you can get past the load times. Oh my lord.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
These are some good titles for those people who don't fancy playing an RPG.

Max Payne 2
Fable
Soul Calibur 2
Lesiure Suit Larry Magna Cum Lorde
Evil Dead Regeneration
The Suffering: Ties That Binde
Doom 3

Archangel470

Mar 26, 2011
Here's a few I could come up with:

Brute Force
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Star Wars: Republic Commando
TimeSplitters 2

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Breakdown was one of the games in the "Hidden Gems" honorable mention list. Definitely play if you like immersive 1st person games. The graphics are fantastic, the story is interesting and mysterious. It draws alot of inspiration from the original half-life. Also you basically learn how to do a kamehameha blast in the game along with a bunch of other cool moves

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Hmm... off the top of my head, just a list of games I recommend purely because they're exclusive or just good (or both):

Toejam and Earl III

Shenmue II

Crazy Taxi 3

Outrun 2

Fable

Conker: L&R

Half-Life 2

Doom 3

Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have to put in seconds on Conker, Unreal championship 2 and Jade Empire, as well as morrowind and timesplitters. All great games for their own reasons.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
EDIT: Brainfart.

Otogi and Ninja Gaiden Black are great hack 'n' slash games that you need to play. Psi-Ops and Second Sight are available elsewhere, but the Xbox versions are the best (yes, better than the PC versions, too).

There's also Knights of the Old Republic I and II, plus Jade Empire, but they're better on PC (especially KOTOR 2).

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is great, too. It's much better than the same content from Dark Athena, because it doesn't have the eye-bleedingly horrible new visual effects and a few cool tricks were patched out. For instance, the first time you can across an armoured enemy, you can sneak past him and take the elevator without having to fight him. In Dark Athena, the elevator won't work until he dies for some reason and the fight is tedious as fuck. I'd also recommend it over the none-Athena PC version, just because I don't think the melee controls translate very well to KB+M and the melee system is the best in any FPS, ever.

Mar 26, 2008
Well I like the original Fable... *ducks as rocks are thrown*

Also, Def Jam: Fight For New York is one of the best fighting games I've played. Period! Any excuse to punch Sean Paul's face in is alright by me.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
NO ONE has listed Knights of the Old Republic yet? Seriously?! Is...is there something wrong with that game that I've just missed over the years? Or has everyone forgotten about it?

Go get Star Wars: KOTOR. And then if you like that, get KOTOR II, although that one isn't as good as the first, it's still worth playing.

EDIT: No, wait. Someone two posts above me did. He can keep his gaming card. The rest of you...I'm not so sure :)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I thought this pretty special. I loved that her teddy bear had the same voice, Jack Angel, that played the teddy bear in 2001'a A.I. movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamfall:_The_Longest_Journey

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Of those already mentioned, I would have to second/third/etc. Gladius, Phantom Dust and the absolutely amazing Ninja Gaiden Black.

Of those not mentioned, I would have to say Enclave. It's a brutally difficult game that reminds me a lot of Dark Souls but without most of the RPG elements. Slower paced strategic combat with traps and tough opponents that can end your life very quickly.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I'm glad this thread exists as I find the original Xbox to be a really underrated console with some really stellar games. While not everything on the following list is a classic, they are all really unique experiences that defined my experience with the Xbox (well, despite a few multi-plats I played on other systems)...

Armed and Dangerous
Beyond Good and Evil
Burnout 3
Destroy all Humans!
Fable
Indigo Prophecy
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time trilogy
Psychonauts
Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Scrapland
Second Sight
Spartan: Total Warrior
Syberia (I and II)
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Tony Hawk's Underground II

Out of these my highest recommendations go to Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Jade Empire, Fable, Otogi and the two Oddworld titles...

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
The King Kong tie-in game is surprisingly good, and my personal favorite film-licensed game ever; most of the game isn't spent playing as Kong at all (whose sections are actually fairly dull) but as the film's male lead, Jack, in the form of a very tense and often frightening survival-FPS. Speaking of movie tie-ins, Ultimate Spider-Man has very similar gameplay to the rightly well-regarded Spider-Man 2 plus very comic book-like visuals and the option to play as Venom. And if you like giant monster movies, there's Godzilla: Save the Earth, a fighting game featuring a selection of eighteen different monsters from all eras of the Godzilla series (some of whom have quite divergent playstyles).

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008

Deathrow (pounced death throw)
When I was in the academy we played this game every night in our barracks. It wasn't all that amazing it's basically this weird mash-up of boxing, soccer, and football. With a cyberpunk aesthetic.
Teams, if I recall, included: Cyborg Coal Miners, Genetically Engineered Fish Women, Supercops, Prison Inmates.

It was actually a pretty damn fun game if you had others to play it with.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Maximum Bert said:
Get Oddworld Strangers Wrath the game is just amazing and easily the best game on the Xbox imo. You could get the updated version on PS3 (and 360?) if thats a possibility for you. Its really the only reason I sometimes set up my Xbox now its just an amazing game that like so many others didnt get the attention it so deserved.
Argh, dang it, I was about to recommend Stranger's Wrath too. I own it on PC, but before that, I always wanted to own an Xbox just for this game alone. The wait was entirely worth it and I still keep it installed :)

Other than Stranger's Wrath, maybe Fable, although extremely easy for an RPG veteran, it's still quite entertaining and easily the best of the series.

And I second Conker: Live & Reloaded, one of the funniest platformers ever made.
This game still makes me laugh :)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Genocidicles said:
The two Oddworld games: Munch's Odyssey, and Stranger's Wrath.

I think you can get a HD version of Stranger's Wrath on Steam and PSN now, but I heard they were pretty buggy.

AFAIK, the original xbox is the only place to get Munch's Odyssey.
Yup, both were extremely buggy and nigh unplayable at release, but with Stranger's Wrath, it's the HD version the PS3 got on PSN, it runs flawlessly and looks fantastic on my PC (although I hear it still has issues on AMD cards) and Munch's Odyssey... it's still a buggy mess, better play it on a real Xbox.