Recommended original xbox games, (Besides Halo 1 and 2)

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
I recently found an original Xbox at a goodwill and I bought it, problem is I grew up following what was good on the PS2 and Gamecube so I'm at a loss as to what I should buy for it, any ideas?

Here is the list of good games I do know about

Halo
Halo 2
Panzer dragoon Orta
Gun Valkyrie
Stubbs rebel without a pulse

After that I'm not sure what to look for, any ideas?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I always wanted to play Stubbs. Sadly the local Gamestop sold their last copy as soon as I had got my Xbox. I was so pissed.

Anyway, some good games for Xbox. I would have to reccomend:

Advent Rising
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mech Assault
Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Jade Empire

I played these games so much when I was younger. To bad my mother never let me buy Conker's Bad Fur Day, for good reason, I always had to borrow it from a friend and play it after she went to bed. Good times.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Crimson Skies for some high-flying action.
Urban Chaos: Riot Response for some shooty-action mixed with some social commentary.
Freedom Fighters for being a great game and a pretty neat "Red Dawn" adaptation with a kickass score.
Psi-Ops for some telekentic gibbing and brain-sucking powers.
Second Sight for the cerebral, high brow version of Psi-Ops.

That's what I got so far.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Not too much more to add that you can't get elsewhere. Timesplitters Future Perfect is pretty incredible, though it is also available on PS2. The GTAIII and Vice City ports are still the best versions of either game, too.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
What a strange situation. I'll try to list some console/Xbox exclusives.

I'm going to second the suggestions for Crimson Skies and Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes. KUFH has a game-breaking glitch early on, but you can push through it (the glitch takes place in a cave) and it's worth playing. It combines melee combat with control of an entire, upgradeable army.

I will say, however, that I don't recommend Advent Rising. I bought it years ago after reading rave reviews and it simply didn't live up to the hype. The Xbox version probably commands collector-status pricing today, but it's on Steam for $10.

Based on my personal collection, I recommend:

• Black - also on PS2 but the Xbox version is graphically superior.

Burnout 3 - again, also available on PS2, but...graphics. If you can't find it, Burnout Revenge is a good compromise.

Far Cry Instincts - I LOVE this version. It's a vicious, sci-fi/horror version of Far Cry. Also, it's backwards compatible on 360. There's a 360 version of this game called Far Cry Instincts Predator, with slightly upgraded graphics, except it contains the first game plus the sequel.

Mercenaries - This is also on PS2, but if you've never played it, I highly recommend it on Xbox. It's very similar to Just Cause except Mercenaries came out a year earlier. If you were going to buy just one Xbox game, I would get Mercenaries.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - People love this game, but I never got into it.

The Simpsons Hit and Run - This was available on PS2 and GameCube as well, but the original Xbox version was the best. Also, I find that this game was more fun than The Simpsons Game, which came out four years later.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Without repeating what all the above said, I'd also recommend Psyconauts (you can also get it for PC) and Otogi 1 & 2. Both games are gems and the only games that made my Xbox graphically cry.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
There were games on the original xbox besides Halo 1 and 2??? When did this happen?
I guess, yeah, burnout games and mech assault games... about the only ones I was even aware of.

Mar 30, 2010
The only original Xbox games I still play (except Halo:CE) are:

Burnout 3: Takedown
GTA San Andreas
and
Morrowind GotY.

Hope that helps.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Get Oddworld Strangers Wrath the game is just amazing and easily the best game on the Xbox imo. You could get the updated version on PS3 (and 360?) if thats a possibility for you. Its really the only reason I sometimes set up my Xbox now its just an amazing game that like so many others didnt get the attention it so deserved.

Mabster

May 8, 2011
Some more gems that haven't been mentioned yet:

Arx Fatalis - Dark and oppressive dungeoncrawly goodness.

Jet Set Radio Future - The best game on the system in my humble opinion. Unique and fun.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 - Among the finest cRPGs in existence, but better experienced on the PC.

Thief Deadly Shadows - Most notable for not being terrible like Invisible War. A good Thief game in its own right.

Shenmue 2 - Haven't played anything quite like it since. A really memorable experience.

Sudeki - I think this was good, but I can't really remember that much about it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
A couple I remember enjoying (not necessarily making them good):

Burnout 3 - Probably the best Burnout, the crash junctions are better than those in Revenge in my opinion.

Conker Live & Reloaded - You get Conker's Bad Fur Day and a seperate multiplayer game, which will obviously be useless now unless it has splitscreen and you have some friends and spare controllers. The single player game is great.

Fable - A fairly good RPG even if it did get thoroughly overhyped by a certain someone, it's kind of short though plus the Anniversary edition is supposedly coming out soon that is an HD version of this plus Lost Chapters.

Phantom Crash - A sort of arena based mech-fighter game, best enjoyed in small portions. I guess it is a bit like Hawken.

Splinter Cell (I don't remember which one I played, probably the first one) - Shoot people in the dark.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The two Oddworld games: Munch's Odyssey, and Stranger's Wrath.

I think you can get a HD version of Stranger's Wrath on Steam and PSN now, but I heard they were pretty buggy.

AFAIK, the original xbox is the only place to get Munch's Odyssey.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Genocidicles said:
It's on Steam too.

OT: Serious Sam I'd definitely recommend if you're into old school style FPSs.

Amped is a snowboarding game that I had a lot of fun with. I'm not really into the genre so I don't know if it's actually considered a good game by the genre's standards.

Dead or Alive Ultimate. Contains DOA 1 and DOA 2 with a bunch of extra content.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Well most of mine are on page one, so I've only got Urban Chaos or Scrapland. Niether has had a worthg successor. Chaos is an FPS you play cop in the worlds most xriminally infested city. Scrapland is like if GTA was a murder mystery with spaceships insteD of cars and robots instead of people.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I'll recomend some exclusives and multiplats just in case you never played them (also a lot of suggestions from other posters are great like Conker, Jet Set Radio and Crimson Skies).

Brute Force - 4 player futuristic shooter, you can play solo and command the 4 characters at the same time and switch control between them has each as special abilities (one is a reptile and walks in four legs being the fastest)

Hunter: The Reckoning - This was also on the GC, its a top down shooter for up to 4 players where you kill monsters and shit, its a fun game overall (the sequel is Xbox exclusive though, while a different sequel is PS2 exclusive, what a great way to split up the fanbase).

Second Sight - Also on other platforms but that plot twist was amazing and I bet not many played.

Wreckless - The Xbox version is simply the best, its a fun game that honestly is only worth playing on the Xbox since the best part of it are the visuals.

Timesplitters 2 and 3 - The best multiplayer arcade shooters with the best campaigns (2 for challenge and variety, 3 for story and fun).

Blinx 1 and 2 - not the best games but they are somewhat different and you can see what was supposed to be Microsoft's mascot.

Dead or Alive Ultimate - Its Dead or Alive, the ultimate version of Dead or Alive basicly.

Fuzion Frenzy - A party game, not that bad but not that good, it does have an unique visual and there is a cheat that lets you play in first person view and understand how hard it is to see inside an hamster wheel.

Kung Fu Chaos - Great fighting party game, there is a lot of fun to be had with this one.

Midtown Madness 3 - Really loved this game, the only thing similar to it now is Driver San Francisco.

Project Gotham Racing - Very cool racing games but if you played the sequels I guess its less of the same.

Quantum Redshift - Its the Xbox version of Wipeout basicly.

Steel Battalion - Dont really expect to find this game or manage to play it but it is still a very special game.

Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict - Its Unreal with swords and shit, very cool.

Voodoo Vince - Never played it but from the people that played it they liked it a lot

Dino Crysis 3 - Meh, you get to fight cyborg zombie dinossaurs.

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven - Never played it but it seems to be one of the best Tenchu games.

Ghost Recon 2 - A cool TPS, not all that tactical but still a fun game.

Rainbow Six 3 - Doesnt let you do the planning like on the PC but it has some exclusive levels and it plays great on the Xbox too.

Counter-Strike - Yeah, its Counter-Strike 1.6 on a console, its works and plays great though.

Sega Soccer Slam - An awesome soccer arcade game, really fucking good.

Here is a video with a lot of other games very worth a look:
Genocidicles said:
They are both on the PC and on Steam, dont know about their current state though.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Elfgore said:
Anyway, some good games for Xbox. I would have to reccomend:

Advent Rising
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mech Assault
Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Jade Empire
This whole list.

Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes was the game that made me buy an Xbox and it alone earned every dollar of the $150 I spent on the system and then some. Why they went away from that formula with the sequel is lost on me. Had they used Heroes as a base to build upon for future sequels, we could have 1 or 2 really awesome tactical or even strategic hack and slash titles. But instead we got a Dynasty Warriors clone for the sequel.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
NFL 2K5 is still one of the best playing football games ever released. There are forums and sites with updated rosters to download too and all sort of little mods.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Ninja Gaiden Black. While Ninja Gaiden is really hard, it had some of the best controls I've ever played. I don't know if it's just me, but they felt fluid, whereas every other 3rd person adventure/hack and slash I've played felt clunky. The story is pretty dumb though. "Black" is a expansion adding mechanics and enemies, harder but totally worth it.

I second Fable. While really easy, it's got a really customizable level up system and well done aesthetics. Don't know if the second one is on Xbox, but the series peaked on the first game. Unless you love the franchise, stick with the first one. Also has a "Lost Chapters" expansion that adds missions (I think that's what it adds, never played it)

That video above has a really good list, the honorable mentions has some good titles in it. If your looking for Xbox games, that's 14 minutes well spent.

Conker's bad fur day is "Conker: Live and Reloaded", unless that's another expansion. Conker's Bad Fur Day was on N64.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
ArkhamJester said:
I recently found an original Xbox at a goodwill and I bought it, problem is I grew up following what was good on the PS2 and Gamecube so I'm at a loss as to what I should buy for it, any ideas?

Here is the list of good games I do know about

Halo
Halo 2
Panzer dragoon Orta
Gun Valkyrie
Stubbs rebel without a pulse

After that I'm not sure what to look for, any ideas?
I highly recommend Voodoo Vince. Its a quirkly little game, but I have alot of fun with it.

*EDIT* Whoooops! I almost forgot, be sure to check out both of the Star Wars Battlefront games, too!!!