Record of Lodoss War - Dungeons and Dragons, The Anime

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
Record of Lodoss War - Dungeons and Dragons, The Anime

It's time to dive into the vault and pull out the best (and worst) anime from years past. First up, we see whether D&D holds up in the anime world...

Read Full Article

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It was definitely a Japanese love paean to D&D, and if you take it for being that (and forgive some of the production shortcuts) you can really enjoy it.

I still have the subtitled VHS set somewhere....

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Ashram definitely wasn't a dark elf. I remember watching this the first time on Saturday morning anime on the Sci-Fi channel. It only showed the first 3 episodes I believe, and I thought that was all there was. I loved it then and later on when I found out there were more episodes; I was pumped to try and find and get them. Ah the days before internet...it was always a thrill to discover things!

Every time I watch Lodoss War; especially the first section(And with English dub on) it basically might as well be one of my group's older D&D sessions. It is great! The awful voices almost augment it!

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
It's been said that Record of Lodoss War is what you wanted your D&D games to be, while Slayers is what they actually were.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I remember seeing this back in the nineties with my anime fan group. I greatly enjoyed it, especially since I was heavily into D&D at the time, too. I don't recall the voice acting being so bad, though - did you review the English dub? As an example of the difference, here's the opening in the original Japanese. It sounds MUCH better than the English version linked in the article.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
Despite an attempt to develop a few characters, such as the King, Emperor Beld (AKA GANONDORF), and the Lord Ashram, a powerful dark warrior, the relationship between Parn and Deedlit is really the only fleshed out subplot.
- Ashram & Pirotess, mirroing the Parn/Deedlit pairing, chaotic version
- The rivalry between the two kings (a flashback to the manga prequel btw)
- Ashram-Beld VS Parn-Fahn (if it isn't master/apprentice jedi vs sith situation... )
- ORSON!!!! (aka the berserker aka the badass aka the wet-dream of every D&D player)
- Orson-Shiris
- Karla the grey witch
- Ghim-Karla/Leylia
- Woodchuck-Parn (aka "come to the chaotic neutral side" )
- Comments about wars, love relationships, sacrifices and the artifical rift between good and evil
- the magic swords
- the final (aka dual-wielding FTW)

Are you sure we've seen the same anime?

And what's the point to watch a dubbed 90s anime?
Of course it will suck. And they probably streamlined a lot of subtexts, because, you know, television.
When you see the atrocity of the dubbed version of VHD Bloodlust, you know US dubbing is a lost cause.

BTW, the anime TV serie follows more closely the novel plots. Sadly, the OVA did a better job in storytelling + Nobuteru Yukii at his best.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I actually remember this as, like the review states, a quite harmless entertaining fantasy-anime. One thing though, when you complain about the voice actors do you mean the English dub? because quite frankly complaining about the English dub in an anime is like complaining when you buy a super-cheap chinese knock-off that doesnt work properly.

Jan 19, 2016
Wow, I remember watching this about 20 years ago during the great anime boom of the 90's. It was a rather eccentric Japanese take on Western fantasy mixed with staple anime character tropes (which I knew little about at the time). I recall I really liked it, but if my memory serves, it was one of those series where the quality really dropped off in the later episodes and it ended up limping to the finish.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Asclepion said:
It's been said that Record of Lodoss War is what you wanted your D&D games to be, while Slayers is what they actually were.
So they were actually AWESOME? :)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Asclepion said:
Well that's distilled about three years worth of my tabletop experience down to a single sentence, well done :)