Record of the Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth comes out Saturday.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So more people should know about this awesome looking metroidvania called 'see title'.

The developers behind this game already have a good track record with their release of Touhou Luna nights.
Which was a short but absolutely killer metroidvania with fantastic pixel art and superb gameplay.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Talk about striking while the iron is ice-cold. I don't think Record of Lodoss War has been in my headspace for more than a decade. They did nail the art style and Deedlit's appearance, though (although she's basically a clone of the Elf from the Dungeons & Dragons arcade game).

...but seriously, what's up with that UI?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Talk about striking while the iron is ice-cold. I don't think Record of Lodoss War has been in my headspace for more than a decade. They did nail the art style and Deedlit's appearance, though (although she's basically a clone of the Elf from the Dungeons & Dragons arcade game).

...but seriously, what's up with that UI?
Yeah, I remember watching that like 20 years ago and barely remember it. I haven't even heard it mentioned in like forever.

So if you wanted a Lodoss War game then great, you're getting one. So hooray?

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It was a 30th anniversary thing. They also rereleased the tabletop RPG and had a new light novel come out.

But localization takes time and Lodoss War was always more popular over there than in the west.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Huh... I did have an interest in manga in the mid 90s. Lodoss war was one that I remember thinking of checking out but never did. No way in hell I'm touching that game, but I might track down the anime if it doesn't cost me anything.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The lodoss manga is more like LotR whereas the anime feels more like a DnD campaign, if that makes sense.

Lodoss is one of those early day anime fan makers, it was digestible enough for westerners and had a very high quality of animation for its time as well as being generally good too. Deed is kinda like a proto-waifu, since she came before evangelion even, but she's still super popular like Lum from Urusei Yatsura (you may not know who that is but you likely have seen cosplays of a green haired girl in a tiger print bikini, that's her lol) so this game being a thing doesn't surprise me in the least.

Also even without it being tied to Lodoss it just looks like a fun game, which is what I kinda want with my anime-based games nowadays. Too many musou cashgrabs are coming out sadly.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Never read or watched it, but yes, I remember Lum for yurisei yatsura, rumiko Takahashi, same as ranma iirc. I have a far greater memory of old 80s/90s manga than I usually care to admit šŸ˜‚

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ain't better nobody diss my girl Lum. She's my sweetheart.
She's definitely been influential in establishing the trope of "somehow the hero ends up living with this wacky hot girl and crazy antics ensue" that tons of romance and harem shows carry. Some even pay homage to it directly too, such as for example Tsugumomo having this shinto priestess with a gargantuan appetite despite her pretty looks.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
One of those rare examples where it can put you off before you even finish reading the title. šŸ˜‰
I feel a bit like it's asking me to step into a complex and detailed world that I'm already supposed to know about. Otherwise, it just makes me think someone's throwing a load of stupid fantasy names at me as if from a fantasy title generator. Secondly, the slightly clumsy phrasing makes me think of a ton of bargain basement productions from the Far East where no-one could be bothered paying a proper translator.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I feel a bit like it's asking me to step into a complex and detailed world that I'm already supposed to know about. Otherwise, it just makes me think someone's throwing a load of stupid fantasy names at me as if from a fantasy title generator. Secondly, the slightly clumsy phrasing makes me think of a ton of bargain basement productions from the Far East where no-one could be bothered paying a proper translator.
The gameplay is really good and so far the text work is great, no weird artifacts of using machine translation. But it does expect you to have some knowledge of the characters that are showing up cause it sure as hell doesn't explain it. Granted it seems like the way they do the plot of the game works around it nicely, but I kinda hated the anime so I only barely know who any of these characters are.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Actually the more likely case is that this is english aimed at sounding cool to Japanese people with poor grasp of english, as opposed to something translated for overseas use. It's like how some western made stuff have some vaguely oriental terms like "Kai" thrown in which just sounds exotic and cool without people really even understanding what it means.

But yeah Deed is short for Deedlit, the elf spirit mage girl, think of playing a sidescroller as a summoner/light fencer build on a DnD style world and you know all you need to to enjoy this game.