Recruitment Thread For Prohibited Spirits; A supernatural 1920s RP

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
[HEADING=2]Prohibited Spirits[/HEADING]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It's a Friday afternoon in Brooklyn, 1925. The city of New York is lively and many are enjoying the weekend in a true Roaring Twenties fashion, without letting the prohibition of alcohol keep them from doing so. Some locations go even further, Speakeasies providing their customers with what they have available.

The Pips & Suits club, a fine yet modern club is one of these. Fancied and supported by an infamous mafia family, it has a wide variety of guests. Anyone can enter, as long as they have the money and the password. It exists in a large locale with two floors, the entrance, and the club itself, and a long set of stairs dividing the two. With large shiny windows, a dark red floor and beautiful wallpaper, it provides entertainment, snacks and drinks. With its tasteful décor, a piano and a pool table, it is a place to enjoy oneself. Whatever your reason is to be here, be it as a member of the mafia, a regular or a curious soul, you take a break and live in the moment, as lively Jazz get played on the phonograph. The bartender comes over and offers you another drink, before serving the others.

"I just opened this one," he says. "Enjoy."

However, as this new batch of alcoholic beverage is being served, there is the sound of a glass breaking. A member of the mafia, gasps for air, as he turns to an inhumanely pale color. Those with keen senses can sense that there is something in the air, something not of this world. What follows is rather sudden, you find yourself involved with something you cannot escape.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, my name is DarkRawen, and this is the Recruitment Thread for a supernatural RP set in the Prohibition Era. The story will start as above, but it will go further, allowing characters to explore a more traditional form of magic and curses, as well as enjoy both good and bad sides of the Roaring Twenties.

Pips & Suits

Pips and Suits is both the club, as well as the name as its two owners. A brother and a sister who goes by their nicknames, they are friendly, charismatic and of a mysterious nature. Apart from the fact that they are siblings, and that.

Pips, the brother, usually works as the bartender, while Suits takes care of greeting and payment. If you want your character to be employed as a server or a doorman at the club, let me know and I'll consider it. The club will be a part of the setting, as well as a place for characters to rest and interact in a, normally, calmer environment.

The Pasticcino Family

While not one of the largest families around, it still holds enough power to have their say in the area. This Mafia family is the sole provider of alcohol to Pips and Suits, and has taken out quite a lot of other establishments in the area. Members of the family is very welcome in the club, and while it is not openly mentioned, their presence is clear.

If a player wants to have a character from this family, go ahead. If you're aiming for a different family, however, it has to be secret, as that is the only way they would manage to get in.

The Setting Itself

Since the setting is 1925, during the Prohibition in the US, it will be very much based on this. This means jazz, organized crime, "new" exciting technology, and some of the social aspects like women having more rights and possibilities. However, as there are some supernatural elements, there will obviously be artistic freedoms taken. That said, I do intend to keep the level of technology and the overall feel as accurate as I can.

Then, its the sheet. While I tend to have my own character sheet, I've opted to do something else this time, and decided to focus more on the player characters. I will have a character accompanying the PCs, but this more as a way to lead them, and this character will not be much more important than any other NPC.

Instead, I'll just give you this template;

Name: Should go without saying. Nicknames also go here.

Age: At least a rough estimate, if you do not want to give away too many details.

Appearance: Eye-color, hair-color, height, build, skin color, as well as what you're wearing.

Equipment: What do you own? How much money do you have?

Personality: This can be either the character's actual personality, or how they seem to others, as some might want to keep certain personality traits to themselves.

Skills: What you are capable of doing. If you want to know some magic, please do, but note that they're limited to weak abilities that won't do you much good in a straight fight, and that they are rare. Magic also requires quite the sacrifice; which can already be paid by the character, or be required each time it is used. I'd prefer that the sacrifice and magic are connected, and that there is a certain symbolic meaning, or a personal meaning to the character.

Background: Your history. While you can choose to leave it mostly off, I still want a paragraph, especially if you've chosen to have magic.

Other: If you have information that has not been covered about that you would like to share, this is where you'll do it.

Finally, there's rules, though they should be obvious by now;

Don't be a jerk to anyone else, don't make your character overpowered, posts should consist of something else than just dialogue, and it should be possible to read it. Finally, you should be able to post often enough for the RP not to die, because of obvious reasons.

Any interest and questions is encouraged, please let me know if there's anything that's seems iffy, and... that should be it.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, sorry, I tried to figure out a way to make the sheet work, but realized this was kind of a horrible idea for a party focused RP. Might submit something else if I get an idea.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Pappytech said:
Name: Albert Archambeault - AKA Barcino's Knife AKA John the Slasher

Appearance: Small and slim, Albert doesn't exactly stand out in a crowd. Just the opposite, in fact; he?s so painfully ordinary that most people simply look right on past him, rarely even registering his existence. Those that take the extra effort to notice him, however, will note that he stands at about 5'7" and couldn't possibly weigh more than some 140 lbs.

Albert's mop of straw-colored hair is rarely combed or styled, though he does cut it short enough that it won't get in his hazel eyes. His skin, already naturally pale, is nearly bone white from a lack of sun. When forced to go out into public, he wears a tailored suit, consisting of a light blue shirt, brown slacks and jacket, and leather shoes. He doesn't like hats.

Though it is normally covered by his clothes, Albert has a large tattoo etched onto his left arm, starting from his wrist and reaching across his left shoulder, a sprawling pattern of arcane sigils. Observant people might notice the scars lying beneath the ink, and a surgical examination would reveal additional symbols carved onto his very bones.

Equipment: Albert's mundane possessions consists of a few knives, a M1911, and his limited, though nicely kept, wardrobe.

His magical keepsakes, however, are a bit harder to quantify. Firstly, there is his atelier, an apartment he's dedicated to magical research. Overflowing with musty tomes and vials of strange concoctions, living space is kept to an absolute minimum, roughly sequestered into one small corner of the tenement.

Albert's work clothes also bear mentioning. Though cut in a similar style as his other suits, the garment is made out of black silk, with thousands upon thousands of arcane runes stitched in the cloth. Serving as a focus to his already potent abilities, the suit renders Albert all but undetectable, even to surveillance spells and supernatural creatures.

Finally, there is his tattoo, the Archambeault crest. The compilation of over ten generations worth of study and research, only the current head of the Archambeault family is allowed to possess it. It acts as both a repository of knowledge and focus for spells; using it, Albert can manifest spells his ancestors mastered without having to bother with incantations or rituals, though he still needs to power it with his own mana.

Personality: Albert is a sociopath, pure and simple, though whether this is due to his basic nature, his upbringing, or his natural magical abilities, or some combination thereof is up for debate. Regardless of the reason, the fact is that Albert can't empathize with other people, and consequently treats them more like tools than living people.

Though he has no problem with vocalizing his current mood (irritated more often than not), Albert's expression or tone rarely ever changes, leading some to believe that he's completely emotionless.

Skills: Albert's main magic revolves around blending into the background. He doesn't turn himself invisible or anything; rather, he exudes an aura of such ordinariness that people'll simply look right past him as though he was nothing more than some fixture on a wall. This effect is passive and impossible to completely overcome. Though he can weaken the effect temporarily, doing so for long periods leaves Albert exhausted and inflicts crippling migraines. As such, he generally doesn't bother to counter the effect, unless he's trying to talk to his bosses in the Barcino family.

Beyond this natural ability, Albert can also draw from his tattoo to cast other spells. The majority of these are meant to break through various wards and protective magics, though a few ranged wind spells are also included.

When it comes to mundane skills, Albert's experience as an assassin has taught him how to handle a knife and pistol, and he knows enough to avoid leaving incriminating evidence. He's also studied anatomy enough to easily pinpoint various vital spots, on humans at least.

Background: The Archambeault family, originally from France, immigrated to the States in the early 19th century, mistakenly believing that the rapidly growing country would be a good place to continue their research and spread their influence. Years of bad investments and refusals to adapt to the local culture crippled the family fortune, however, and by the time Albert was born the coffers were finally empty.

An only child, Albert's youth was far from pleasant. His father, while certainly adept at magic, refused to find a job to help earn the funds his research and family's survival so desperately needed, so the burden of breadwinner fell to Albert's mother. While she worked whatever odd jobs she could find, Albert's father began inducting his son into the secrets of magic. Though the lessons were unbearably harsh at times, the young boy learned quickly, and eventually his own research surpassed his father's works.

When he was in his late teens, Albert's mother finally worked herself to death. Without any funds coming in, it was apparent that the family and its years of history were about to be extinguished. Seeing that his father still refused to acknowledge the truth, Albert killed him, taking what materials he could and making his way to New York City. Unlike his father, the young man had adapted to current culture, and knew that he'd be able to find someone willing to pay him to use his abilities.

He found the Barcino family.

The crime family hired him on as an assassin, someone to go after and eliminate those who crossed the Barcinos. The work may not have been pleasant, but it fit Albert's skillset and it paid well, providing the mage with a steady income. It didn't take him long to settle into the rhythm of NYC.

Though he may not be a part of the Pasticcino family, Albert will occasionally frequent the Pips & Suits. The booze is decent, the atmosphere nice, and he can always slip in past the bouncer without too much trouble.

Alright, here's a submission from another crime family. Comments/criticism are welcome.
Let's see, having read through it and considered some things, I do have two things I want address.

Firstly, the magic is a bit too strong and a little too much. While the blending in ability works well, I'd like you to tone down the other. The wind magic appears to be too close to "combat" magic, which I was hoping to avoid, while the other spells, while okay, are not that defined. Basically; how long do they take to cast, and what effect would they have on Albert? It needs to be something that ensures that he'll hesitate before using them, as magic should be used carefully in the setting.

Secondly, this is more of a question than criticism, but what relationship does the Barcino's have with the Pasticcino? I'll be fine with anything apart from them being bitter enemies, I'd just like to know so that I can work with it.

Apart from that, I like the sheet, I just have to ensure that there's not too many pros and no cons to having magic, as it would conflict with how I intend to use magic in the setting.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Name: Lucy West Most close to her will call her by the short name Luce (Luse?)
Some know her as 'The Widowmaker', yet she doesn't enjoy the name due to her history.

Appearance: Light blue eyes which are usually quite squinted, medium length straight blonde hair, 5'6, athletic, white (slightly tanned), wearing a standard striped gangsters suit with a light bullet vest underneath, as well as a black bowler hat, and usually a lit cigar in the mouth.
She has many permanent scars from her years, most notably: A scar just below her right eye where she had been slashed with a knife, a stab wound centered in her left palm, a small patched bullet-wound scar on her right thigh, and quite a few slashes across her waist/back.

Equipment: Striped gangsters suit w tie + black bowler hat, light bullet vest, stab proof vest, heavy bullet vest, pack of cubans, Pasticcino emblem lighter, combat knife strapped near her right foot, 38 Pocket Pistol concealed by her right hip (always loaded and ready), trench gun (shotgun), and of course her best friend John - M1921 Thompson submachine gun - who can usually be found in two pieces in the left inner pocket of her suit (gun and magazine). (Obviously she isn't carrying all of these at once, she'll only ever have one vest on at a time depending on the expected situation, and she'll only ever have the trench gun on her if she's expecting a big fight.

Personality: Shoot first, ask questions later. She may be a lady but that doesn't mean she's ladylike, in the family she's 'one of the guys', and a tough one at that, both in attitude and physical prowess. However, she isn't beyond using her 'features' to her advantage.
Often in conversation she'll be straight to the point, and only has a laugh with those she respects, such as her fellow enforcers in the family.
She often speaks in a harsh tone and isn't afraid to tell people and demand what she wants.
However, she does have a soft spot for the don and his relatives, as well as most of the family, due to the way they've treated her.
Her only sensitive point that could be exploited would be her parents and early childhood (see background)
As for intelligence, she's very much street smarts over book smarts, by that I mean she's a quick thinker and pretty smart, but she can hardly read.

Skills: An enforcer in the family, she's very adapt in close combat and urban warfare, she has a quick draw as well as a knack of getting out of a tricky situation. An expert in picking locks (or rather blasting the door down) and reasonably able to keep quite in a stealth situation. Her aim is very good and her fighting skill is better than the average male enforcers (to make up the difference in strength). However, in a long range situation, a submachine gun is pretty limited.
Who needs magic when you can put a hole through someone's chest?

Background:
Born to a poor family in a poor -bad part of town- neighborhood, Lucy was forced to learn how to survive on the streets at a very young age. Moving from housing to housing, and living on the streets much of the time, her Father constantly working to give them what little he could, while her Mother would whore herself out to do the same. Life was hard, but there was one group that seemed to be looking out for her family, the Pasticcino Family, at least that's how it had always seemed to her.

Often times the Families would provide 'assistance' to the needy in return for favors, and so from a young age she became familiar with the Don from the meetings her father would have with his associates. However as she was young she wasn't aware exactly what her parents were doing for the gangsters. It was often small jobs, pretty crimes the mob needed done such as theft and small deals, however as it is with these Families, the opposition didn't enjoy her Father's actions to help the Pasticcino's.

She lost her Father at the age of 8, he was suppose to do a simple trade, however it was a trick from one of the opposing Families, and the last she saw of her Father was his body lying on the stretcher in the hospital, covered in stab wounds, she's still unsure if she should blame the hospital staff for not saving him, they often didn't care about poor street rats working for a mob, but was there really anything they could have done to save him?

But now he was gone, her Mother now the only one there to look after her and her younger brother of 4 years. Her Mother was a mess, a whore who quickly became addicted to drugs soon after her husbands passing, the money she earned was hardly enough to feed her children, and most of it went toward her habit. This forced them to become completely homeless, the rare bit of nutrition her Mother tried to provide did not suffice. Now at the age of 10, Lucy had to fend for herself, stealing food from the backs of restaurants, and taking anything of value she could from a passerby.

By the age of 14 she had learnt to fend for herself very well, she'd taken a few beatings in her time, taking from the wrong people, as well as a few run-ins with the police. She saw a group of men walking down the street ahead of her in high fashioned suits and hats, the outfit looked familiar to her, be she shoved the thought off as she observed the sparkle from their watches, they were walking in the same direction as her a little ahead, she picked one of them out and made her move. She rushed through them with the usual "Sorry sir!", as she quickly snatched one of the watches from a man's wrist, as she continued she could hear from behind her a loud "Watch it you little shit!".

Turning a corner and running down the alleyway she heard one of the men yell "That little ***** took my watch! Quick boys split up and find that urchin!". The chase was on, running through the back alleys and over various obstacles. One of the men caught up to her and went to grab her, she evaded him, quickly delivering a quick blow to his head, knocking him down, in a fit of anger she kicked the man in the chest, but then felt a tight embrace from behind. "You think you can steal from me and get away with it! Why I'll take off your hand and then..." Suddenly she and the man stopped as he faced her toward him, it was the same guy that had dealt with her Father years back.

"Oh man, you're West's kid ain't ya? I heard what happened to him, was a damn shame" Looking at Lucy he suddenly realized her situation, he couldn't blame her for what life she had been forced into and instead turned his attention to his friend "Ya know that's one big guy you took down there kid, and it took me a good ten seconds before I realized what ya'd done, what's say you come with us, I think the boss would like to hear this story" he said as he gave the guy on the ground a slap "Get up you idiot, taken down by a little girl, pfft, let's get back to the P&S" He looked back at the girl "I'll even buy ya some grub, it's got to be better than whatever your Mom's cooking up? Am I right?" Lucy took a few seconds before accepting his offer and following them down to Pips & Suits.

He took her through the exclusive entrance to the Don, after hearing about what she had done he was quite impressed and offered her a job, a way out of living on the streets, she worried however about what happened to her Father and how she would be able to help her brother, but upon being told she would be working directly for them, meaning protection and enough pay to keep her younger brother fed, she eagerly accepted the generous offer.

She started off with simpler jobs due to her age, working small heists and deals, but her ruthless attitude and skills were quickly noticed, anyone who demeaned her for any reason wether it be her sex, age, or upbringing, were quickly corrected personally by Lucy. By the age of 20 she had become an enforcer, the job gave her enough to give her brother some basic education and a reasonable place to sleep along with her Mother, but her Mother was still the same, still an addict and a whore, Lucy looked down upon her, her Mother disgusted her. The job trained her, making her very skilled in urban environments and situations, as well as being able to get what she wanted out of whoever she was told to ruffle up, but the best lessens are learnt by mistake, you don't go through a job like that unscaved.

At the age of 27 she is a greatly respected (and feared) member of the Pasticcino Family, her brother was able to land a job in law enforcement, she rarely sees him yet still loves him as a brother, he knows very little about what she does for the family, but he does know of the family she works for, and that she works for them, and she no longer communicates or supports her Mother, she doesn't want anything to do with her. Her actions bagged her the name of 'The Widowmaker' by some outside of the family, a joke on how she can easily deal with most Men as a Woman, yet anyone that calls her that will quickly regret it.

As usual, let me know what you think, especially if I made any mistakes.
(I always write my background way longer than it needs to be, I'm sorry xD)

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Random Fella said:
Some know her as 'The Widowmaker', yet she doesn't enjoy the name due to her history.

Appearance: Light blue eyes which are usually quite squinted, medium length straight blonde hair, 5'6, athletic, white (slightly tanned), wearing a standard striped gangsters suit with a light bullet vest underneath, as well as a black bowler hat, and usually a lit cigar in the mouth.
She has many permanent scars from her years, most notably: A scar just below her right eye where she had been slashed with a knife, a stab wound centered in her left palm, a small patched bullet-wound scar on her right thigh, and quite a few slashes across her waist/back.

Equipment: Striped gangsters suit w tie + black bowler hat, light bullet vest, stab proof vest, heavy bullet vest, pack of cubans, Pasticcino emblem lighter, combat knife strapped near her right foot, 38 Pocket Pistol concealed by her right hip (always loaded and ready), trench gun (shotgun), and of course her best friend John - M1921 Thompson submachine gun - who can usually be found in two pieces in the left inner pocket of her suit (gun and magazine). (Obviously she isn't carrying all of these at once, she'll only ever have one vest on at a time depending on the expected situation, and she'll only ever have the trench gun on her if she's expecting a big fight.

Personality: Shoot first, ask questions later. She may be a lady but that doesn't mean she's ladylike, in the family she's 'one of the guys', and a tough one at that, both in attitude and physical prowess. However, she isn't beyond using her 'features' to her advantage.
Often in conversation she'll be straight to the point, and only has a laugh with those she respects, such as her fellow enforcers in the family.
She often speaks in a harsh tone and isn't afraid to tell people and demand what she wants.
However, she does have a soft spot for the don and his relatives, as well as most of the family, due to the way they've treated her.
Her only sensitive point that could be exploited would be her parents and early childhood (see background)
As for intelligence, she's very much street smarts over book smarts, by that I mean she's a quick thinker and pretty smart, but she can hardly read.

Skills: An enforcer in the family, she's very adapt in close combat and urban warfare, she has a quick draw as well as a knack of getting out of a tricky situation. An expert in picking locks (or rather blasting the door down) and reasonably able to keep quite in a stealth situation. Her aim is very good and her fighting skill is better than the average male enforcers (to make up the difference in strength). However, in a long range situation, a submachine gun is pretty limited.

Background:
Born to a poor family in a poor -bad part of town- neighborhood, Lucy was forced to learn how to survive on the streets at a very young age. Moving from housing to housing, and living on the streets much of the time, her Father constantly working to give them what little he could, while her Mother would whore herself out to do the same. Life was hard, but there was one group that seemed to be looking out for her family, the Pasticcino Family, at least that's how it had always seemed to her.

Often times the Families would provide 'assistance' to the needy in return for favors, and so from a young age she became familiar with the Don from the meetings her father would have with his associates. However as she was young she wasn't aware exactly what her parents were doing for the gangsters. It was often small jobs, pretty crimes the mob needed done such as theft and small deals, however as it is with these Families, the opposition didn't enjoy her Father's actions to help the Pasticcino's.

She lost her Father at the age of 8, he was suppose to do a simple trade, however it was a trick from one of the opposing Families, and the last she saw of her Father was his body lying on the stretcher in the hospital, covered in stab wounds, she's still unsure if she should blame the hospital staff for not saving him, they often didn't care about poor street rats working for a mob, but was there really anything they could have done to save him?

But now he was gone, her Mother now the only one there to look after her and her younger brother of 4 years. Her Mother was a mess, a whore who quickly became addicted to drugs soon after her husbands passing, the money she earned was hardly enough to feed her children, and most of it went toward her habit. This forced them to become completely homeless, the rare bit of nutrition her Mother tried to provide did not suffice. Now at the age of 10, Lucy had to fend for herself, stealing food from the backs of restaurants, and taking anything of value she could from a passerby.

By the age of 14 she had learnt to fend for herself very well, she'd taken a few beatings in her time, taking from the wrong people, as well as a few run-ins with the police. She saw a group of men walking down the street ahead of her in high fashioned suits and hats, the outfit looked familiar to her, be she shoved the thought off as she observed the sparkle from their watches, they were walking in the same direction as her a little ahead, she picked one of them out and made her move. She rushed through them with the usual "Sorry sir!", as she quickly snatched one of the watches from a man's wrist, as she continued she could hear from behind her a loud "Watch it you little shit!".

Turning a corner and running down the alleyway she heard one of the men yell "That little ***** took my watch! Quick boys split up and find that urchin!". The chase was on, running through the back alleys and over various obstacles. One of the men caught up to her and went to grab her, she evaded him, quickly delivering a quick blow to his head, knocking him down, in a fit of anger she kicked the man in the chest, but then felt a tight embrace from behind. "You think you can steal from me and get away with it! Why I'll take off your hand and then..." Suddenly she and the man stopped as he faced her toward him, it was the same guy that had dealt with her Father years back.

"Oh man, you're West's kid ain't ya? I heard what happened to him, was a damn shame" Looking at Lucy he suddenly realized her situation, he couldn't blame her for what life she had been forced into and instead turned his attention to his friend "Ya know that's one big guy you took down there kid, and it took me a good ten seconds before I realized what ya'd done, what's say you come with us, I think the boss would like to hear this story" he said as he gave the guy on the ground a slap "Get up you idiot, taken down by a little girl, pfft, let's get back to the P&S" He looked back at the girl "I'll even buy ya some grub, it's got to be better than whatever your Mom's cooking up? Am I right?" Lucy took a few seconds before accepting his offer and following them down to Pips & Suits.

He took her through the exclusive entrance to the Don, after hearing about what she had done he was quite impressed and offered her a job, a way out of living on the streets, she worried however about what happened to her Father and how she would be able to help her brother, but upon being told she would be working directly for them, meaning protection and enough pay to keep her younger brother fed, she eagerly accepted the generous offer.

She started off with simpler jobs due to her age, working small heists and deals, but her ruthless attitude and skills were quickly noticed, anyone who demeaned her for any reason wether it be her sex, age, or upbringing, were quickly corrected personally by Lucy. By the age of 20 she had become an enforcer, the job gave her enough to give her brother some basic education and a reasonable place to sleep along with her Mother, but her Mother was still the same, still an addict and a whore, Lucy looked down upon her, her Mother disgusted her. The job trained her, making her very skilled in urban environments and situations, as well as being able to get what she wanted out of whoever she was told to ruffle up, but the best lessens are learnt by mistake, you don't go through a job like that unscaved.

At the age of 27 she is a greatly respected (and feared) member of the Pasticcino Family, her brother was able to land a job in law enforcement, and she no longer communicates or supports her Mother, she doesn't want anything to do with her. Her actions bagged her the name of 'The Widowmaker' by some outside of the family, a joke on how she can easily deal with most Men as a Woman, yet anyone that calls her that will quickly regret it.

Background's good. Besides, as long as what is there is relevant to the character, I don't mind. Apart from what I would refer to minor writing things (capitalizing words that shouldn't be, mostly), I don't have much to point out. If you want to look through it to deal with that kind of thing, do, but it's not something I'll be strict with, as it's easily read and understood as it is.

I have one question, since it wasn't mentioned above (Unless I missed it, obviously); but does she keep in touch with her brother? Mostly for curiosities sake, but it would help me out if I know.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
DarkRawen said:
Random Fella said:

Background:

At the age of 27 she is a greatly respected (and feared) member of the Pasticcino Family, her brother was able to land a job in law enforcement, and she no longer communicates or supports her Mother, she doesn't want anything to do with her. Her actions bagged her the name of 'The Widowmaker' by some outside of the family, a joke on how she can easily deal with most Men as a Woman, yet anyone that calls her that will quickly regret it.

Background's good. Besides, as long as what is there is relevant to the character, I don't mind. Apart from what I would refer to minor writing things (capitalizing words that shouldn't be, mostly), I don't have much to point out. If you want to look through it to deal with that kind of thing, do, but it's not something I'll be strict with, as it's easily read and understood as it is.

I have one question, since it wasn't mentioned above (Unless I missed it, obviously); but does she keep in touch with her brother? Mostly for curiosities sake, but it would help me out if I know.
I meant mistakes as in items or ideals that wouldn't exist during that time :p
and yeah I should have touched on that, I'll edit it now, she rarely sees him as she spends most of her time with the family, but she still loves him as a brother, and he knows very little about what she does, but he knows of the family she works for
I thought having him become a law enforcer might make for some interesting scenarios later on

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Random Fella said:
DarkRawen said:
Random Fella said:
snip
I meant mistakes as in items or ideals that wouldn't exist during that time :p
and yeah I should have touched on that, I'll edit it now, she rarely sees him as she spends most of her time with the family, but she still loves him as a brother, and he knows very little about what she does, but he knows of the family she works for
I thought having him become a law enforcer might make for some interesting scenarios later on
Well, I was just looking at the sheet and commenting on what I would have commented on either way. :p And the thing with the brother sounds good.

Since I figure you might want more details on what you did ask, I haven't noticed any items that didn't exist at the time. Pips and Suits were just starting out at the time, doing somewhat more legitimate business and being in their early twenties, but the place itself exists due to the Family's influence, so that's not wrong either, it just wouldn't be that well known at the time (but members of the family would likely know of it). So, basically; I can't see anything that's very wrong, the lighter is a pass (so, okay) because there were lighters invented at the time, just not very good ones.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Name: Cynthia Hart

Appearance: Cynthia has blue eyes, fair skin, and dark brown hair often kept fairly short in a bob cut. She's of about average height and somewhat slim build though she is fairly fit and she usually wears a dress typical of flappers of the time (skirt going to just below the knees, sleeveless, straight and loose). She also tends to wear a fair amount of make up and usually has a jacket and hat on when not at a speakeasy. She does have more 'acceptable' clothing for when she isn't out enjoying herself but she's usually not seen in it.

Equipment: Cynthia comes from a fairly well off family and so carries a decent amount of money on her person at all times, though the actual amount varies depending on how much she's been gambling or drinking. Other than that she always carries some make up with her as well as a single shot derringer for her personal protection though she's never had to fire it. She also carries a pack of cigarettes, though she doesn't usually smoke.

Personality: Cynthia is very outgoing and friendly, loving nothing more than to spend a night drinking, gambling, listening to jazz and dancing. She's very free willed and adventurous, eager to try new things and see where life takes her though this can often mean that she doesn't think ahead very well. She is well educated though, and more intelligent than it often seems, and while she is prone to getting in over her head her parents money generally manages to get her out of trouble.

Skills: Cynthia can be quite persuasive when she puts her mind to it, and while she's certainly not an Olympian she's in pretty good shape. Other than that she has attended college ostensibly to become a nurse, and so has some knowledge about medicine, chemistry, and other such things. Finally she is an excellent driver, even when a bit tipsy, though inebriation does not improve her skills.

Background: Cynthia is the eldest daughter of a fairly well off family, raised by very doting parents (perhaps oppressively so at times) she feels that she has only really been able to come into her own upon reaching college. While ostensibly working to get an education she quickly found a place among the subculture of Flappers, independent young women who rejected a number of societal norms including style of dress, driving, and various forms of recreation including drinking. She embraced the Flapper lifestyle wholeheartedly, and has found her adventures readily funded by her unquestioning parents.

While this has led to her spending a fair amount of time in places of questionable legality, particularly speakeasies, Cynthia has little knowledge or involvement of the organized crime families though she is something of a romantic on the subject and considers them exciting. That said she's likely been unknowingly in their employ by degrees at some point or another, having periodically worked at speakeasies, most often as a dancer or bartender, though such jobs rarely lasted terribly long.

She's been active in her adventures for around a year and a half now, and has a number of friends who haunt the same locales as she does, though most are merely casual acquaintances. Perhaps more importantly her adventures have led to her gaining a number of skills, including her talents for driving and dancing. Mostly though they've just been greatly enjoyable for her, and in spite of the horror of it all she can't help but find the incident at Pips and Suits terribly exciting.

Other: Cynthia's family is fairly well off, but not located in the city so most people likely don't know much about them.

Sorry if the background is a little short, Cynthia hasn't had a lot of life changing events up til now, though hopefully that will change over the course of the RP.

PlastikThief

Jun 15, 2014
Name: Rosa Marie Asta

Appearance: Rosa is tall, 6?1, not including her I?ll look-at-me-and-I?ll-stab-you heels. A natural brunette, she detests the flapper?s bob and keeps her hair long and luscious, the style varies day to day. Her face is doll-like, the picture of a perfect submissive 1920?s housewife, but her eyes, it?s her cold blue eyes that send men of powerful families running back to their mothers. Usually seen in dresses or pantsuits as depending on the weather, she dresses up for almost every occasion, and is not afraid of flaunting her sexuality.

Equipment: Rosa carries a derringer in her purse, and a small knife strapped to her thigh when in a suitable dress, but most of her equipment is of the magical sort. An enchanted tube of lipstick that can, when applied to the lips of anyone other than Rosa compels truth speaking. She also wears a pearl necklace that has a basic charm on it, as well as a few rings that have the same spell, but of differing intensities depending on how close she wants her mark to get to her.

Personality: To others, Rosa is the intimidating daughter of some old foreign family, sent to the states as a kind of scout. She is calm, collected, and charming at all times, always good company, as a host or guest, and will often dazzle those who are suspicious of her into a haze of susceptibility. Most men want her, most women want to be her, and she rides it all, aloft on their admiration and jealousy.

To herself, Rosa is a woman on a mission, and no matter the casualties she will get her way. A history of poor interpersonal relationships have made her jaded as to the legitimacy of any type of monogamous relations, and she routinely exercises her power in sexual freedom. No man or woman can hold her, not anymore. She is in New York to exact revenge, to perform her duty.

Skills: Rosa is a skilled dancer, singer and piano player; she also has a rudimentary knowledge of sewing and general gun maintenance. But most of her ability lies in her magical and non-magical methods of gathering information. She is an expert at casting glamours and charms to suit her needs, setting them up in a few minutes each morning and re-powering them every 6 hours or so. The only offensive type spells she knows are paralysis cantrips that she has sewn into hems of most of her purses, and a single use mass stun tattoo on her upper left arm. She channels a bit of energy through them, direct the power at a single target, and let loose. The purses need to be re-sown afterwards, and repeated use strains the fabric. The sacrifice that she made for her powers was in a ritual that denied her the use of her uterus and ensured that she would never have long-term, meaningful relationship with anyone. She went into this pact willingly. The stun lasts about 15 minutes.

Background: Rosa Marie Asta as born in Florence, Italy, and lived the life of a sheltered young woman. Her beloved father provided everything she wanted and more, horses, gowns, a knowledge of presentation and honour that would stick with her through her lifetime. The best thing he provided for her was a husband by the time she was 17. He was beautiful, passionate, a fighter and a lover and a poet all rolled into one he was everything Rosa had always dreamed of. But, dreams are never quite as they would seem.
On the surface, her husband was a kind, compassionate man, but behind closed doors he dealt with Rosa the same way a schoolteacher would deal with an impudent child. Rosa lacked the strength to fight back, and for years she was buried under the weight of her oppressive husband, fighting back pleas for help every time she saw her father.

In was on the eve of her twenty third birthday when she finally escaped, her husband had drunk himself into a stupor, and Rosa, armed with the knowledge that she would never be at peace until she was free of him, stuck him seven times with a silver letter openers, and used his blood and body as the initial power source for her own magical pact. She returned to her father, told him the story, and he sent her to New York, after preparing her for a year or so on how to operate there. He knew his daughter had changed, a pact such as hers could truly only be done in cold blood, and he respected her strength of character. And now here she is, purveyor of information for the right price, and for her own intentions. While not strictly affiliated with any local families, the pull of her father?s name is enough to get her partially noticed, and then she does the rest.
Allll righty here is my fancy femme fatale whose gonna come on in a mess with your business,

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
IFS said:
snip

Sorry if the background is a little short, Cynthia hasn't had a lot of life changing events up til now, though hopefully that will change over the course of the RP.
Ah, no, that's fine. I can't see any issue, though I did notice that the first sentence of the appearance isn't supposed to be there, but you should already know that I'm a nitpick when it comes to that.

More seriously, looks good, clearly she needs to meet the mafia and get involved with this mess. :p

PlastikThief said:
snip
Allll righty here is my fancy femme fatale whose gonna come on in a mess with your business,
I quite like this one, and the magic definitely have enough of a price. The only question I can think of is how long does the stun last?

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
DarkRawen said:
IFS said:
snip

Ah, no, that's fine. I can't see any issue, though I did notice that the first sentence of the appearance isn't supposed to be there, but you should already know that I'm a nitpick when it comes to that.

More seriously, looks good, clearly she needs to meet the mafia and get involved with this mess. :p
Whoops, left that there to remind myself what all to include then forgot to remove it afterwards. Fixed now.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Name: Dana Adler

Appearance: In a word: stately. From her hazel, shoulder-length hair to her slightly short stature to her well cared-for hands, Dana?s appearance is tailored to compel respect from others. Bear in mind that Dana does not care for her appearance in a vain attempt to extract validation she does not deserve. She dresses and carries herself in such a manner as to ensure the proper respect from even those who don?t know who she is. If she still had eyes, I?m sure they?d be just as imposing as the rest of her.

She carries a cane to help her navigate spaces when she doesn't have someone else on hand, and she doesn't usually wear glasses to cover her eyes/lack thereof; she just keeps them closed. Dana never bought into the flapper trends otherwise sweeping the globe, instead preferring fine dresses and gowns that firmly have their roots in Victorian fashion.

Equipment: Dana rarely carries anything of value or importance on her person for security reasons, and instead keeps it locked up in a safe in her office. In her home she keeps bookshelves packed with tomes she inherited, although a few more relevant ones are kept in her offices for ease of access.

Personality: Dana values responsibility and perspective above all else. According to her, everyone has a place and everyone has a perspective. Success is knowing your place and knowing other's perspectives. These values define how Dana interacts with others. Her respect for others is directly proportional to their ability (capacity to inflict change on the world), but she reserves her cruelty and disdain for personal matters. To her, details are of the utmost importance, because that is where weakness lie. She isn't as much a person who does things "by the book" as much as she does things "by the system" if that makes any sense. Lastly, Dana isn't one to rock the boat anymore, at least not until the boat is sinking.

Skills: Dana is a pretty wizard lawyer and adjudicator (pun intended) and she uses these mundane talents almost as frequently as her magical ones. All of her supernatural talent is derived from the sheer weight the Adler name once carried with it, and since Dana is the final Adler she taps this power more often than she should, as liberal usage of such power tends to attract attention (of both sentient beings and universal forces). Dana typically uses this to lend weight to contracts and agreements she feels are important enough to deserve it (although she splurges occasionally), and renders anyone bound by the agreement unable to break it, intentionally or no.

Also since being blind has its downsides, to circumvent them Dana had a series of inscriptions marked where her eyes used to be (yes it was painful). From this Dana can see through the eyes of others within twenty feet of her (unless warded). As usual, this is sustained by tapping Dana's heritage.

Background: The history of the Adler Family is long and prestigious, even though the line dwindled to only Dana when she became thirty. Ever since Dana's birth in 1884 she has been an active and willing participant in the field of magic, marrying a nice business leader by the name of Terrence when she was twenty-four and providing invaluable assistance to his endeavors from behind the scenes. Less than a decade later, after her son Paul was born, her ancestral legacy and eagerness to explore new ideas saw her begin an ambitious project from a great idea: instead of merely invoking previous human establishments to supplement her pacts, alien powers could (in theory) be just as, if not more, powerful while being easier to arrange and more flexible to enforce.

Using ancient summoning techniques that were expensive to procure she contacted Kith, an infernal being of warped justice and ruthless force. Kith believed that he would be conjured into Dana's realm with autonomy in exchange for favors at regular intervals. Instead, Dana bound him in a box so she could hijack his legacy and influence to fuel shamanistic magic. The good part about this is that it mostly worked. The bad part is that it only mostly worked.

It took two days for Kith to exploit the phrasing of Dana's bindings to free himself and it took him even less than that to find her. Because of Dana's deceptions about their arrangement, Kith stripped her of the ability to speak falsehoods, regardless of whether or not she thought they were true. Because she had taken him from his home and his family he took from her Paul and Terrence, removing them from existence as if they were never born. And because he was still feeling spiteful, Kith took her eyes as he left to find his way back home.

After this Dana used whatever she could salvage from her previous life to establish a law firm. Most of her business comes from her contacts in the practitioner community, although the firm can sustain itself through mundane clients looking for assistance with legally binding documents.

Other: -The three prices she paid for her carelessness are carefully guarded secrets, especially with regards to their origin. The next few notes will go into these in more detail.

-Dana's blindness is obvious, but her sight copying is not. It would be possible for others to infer what is going on if they are particularly attentive and interact with her frequently, but unless they are very discreet and talented they couldn't get any hard evidence to show others.

-People occasionally notice Dana's inability to lie, but she explains it as an ethical decision and best for her magic.

-Dana is unable to tell others about her husband and son. Since she cannot lie, Dana can't say anything like "I used to have a husband and son" because after Kith they never existed.
I'm hoping this isn't too far from the tone you are going for, but I've had this character in my head for a while and this seems like a good excuse to use her.

PlastikThief

Jun 15, 2014
DarkRawen said:
IFS said:
I quite like this one, and the magic definitely have enough of a price. The only question I can think of is how long does the stun last?
Ahh, i'll edit it in, probs like 15 mins, at best, its like a ace in the hole deal. she wouldn't do it under any normal circumstances

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
deathbydeath said:
Name: Dana Adler

Appearance: In a word: stately. From her hazel, shoulder-length hair to her slightly short stature to her well cared-for hands, Dana?s appearance is tailored to compel respect from others. Bear in mind that Dana does not care for her appearance in a vain attempt to extract validation she does not deserve. She dresses and carries herself in such a manner as to ensure the proper respect from even those who don?t know who she is. If she still had eyes, I?m sure they?d be just as imposing as the rest of her.

She carries a cane to help her navigate spaces when she doesn't have someone else on hand, and she doesn't usually wear glasses to cover her eyes/lack thereof; she just keeps them closed. Dana never bought into the flapper trends otherwise sweeping the globe, instead preferring fine dresses and gowns that firmly have their roots in Victorian fashion.

Equipment: Dana rarely carries anything of value or importance on her person for security reasons, and instead keeps it locked up in a safe in her office. In her home she keeps bookshelves packed with tomes she inherited, although a few more relevant ones are kept in her offices for ease of access.

Personality: Dana values responsibility and perspective above all else. According to her, everyone has a place and everyone has a perspective. Success is knowing your place and knowing other's perspectives. These values define how Dana interacts with others. Her respect for others is directly proportional to their ability (capacity to inflict change on the world), but she reserves her cruelty and disdain for personal matters. To her, details are of the utmost importance, because that is where weakness lie. She isn't as much a person who does things "by the book" as much as she does things "by the system" if that makes any sense. Lastly, Dana isn't one to rock the boat anymore, at least not until the boat is sinking.

Skills: Dana is a pretty wizard lawyer and adjudicator (pun intended) and she uses these mundane talents almost as frequently as her magical ones. All of her supernatural talent is derived from the sheer weight the Adler name once carried with it, and since Dana is the final Adler she taps this power more often than she should, as liberal usage of such power tends to attract attention (of both sentient beings and universal forces). Dana typically uses this to lend weight to contracts and agreements she feels are important enough to deserve it (although she splurges occasionally), and renders anyone bound by the agreement unable to break it, intentionally or no.

Also since being blind has its downsides, to circumvent them Dana had a series of inscriptions marked where her eyes used to be (yes it was painful). From this Dana can see through the eyes of others within twenty feet of her (unless warded). As usual, this is sustained by tapping Dana's heritage.

Background: The history of the Adler Family is long and prestigious, even though the line dwindled to only Dana when she became thirty. Ever since Dana's birth in 1884 she has been an active and willing participant in the field of magic, marrying a nice business leader by the name of Terrence when she was twenty-four and providing invaluable assistance to his endeavors from behind the scenes. Less than a decade later, after her son Paul was born, her ancestral legacy and eagerness to explore new ideas saw her begin an ambitious project from a great idea: instead of merely invoking previous human establishments to supplement her pacts, alien powers could (in theory) be just as, if not more, powerful while being easier to arrange and more flexible to enforce.

Using ancient summoning techniques that were expensive to procure she contacted Kith, an infernal being of warped justice and ruthless force. Kith believed that he would be conjured into Dana's realm with autonomy in exchange for favors at regular intervals. Instead, Dana bound him in a box so she could hijack his legacy and influence to fuel shamanistic magic. The good part about this is that it mostly worked. The bad part is that it only mostly worked.

It took two days for Kith to exploit the phrasing of Dana's bindings to free himself and it took him even less than that to find her. Because of Dana's deceptions about their arrangement, Kith stripped her of the ability to speak falsehoods, regardless of whether or not she thought they were true. Because she had taken him from his home and his family he took from her Paul and Terrence, removing them from existence as if they were never born. And because he was still feeling spiteful, Kith took her eyes as he left to find his way back home.

After this Dana used whatever she could salvage from her previous life to establish a law firm. Most of her business comes from her contacts in the practitioner community, although the firm can sustain itself through mundane clients looking for assistance with legally binding documents.

Other: -The three prices she paid for her carelessness are carefully guarded secrets, especially with regards to their origin. The next few notes will go into these in more detail.

-Dana's blindness is obvious, but her sight copying is not. It would be possible for others to infer what is going on if they are particularly attentive and interact with her frequently, but unless they are very discreet and talented they couldn't get any hard evidence to show others.

-People occasionally notice Dana's inability to lie, but she explains it as an ethical decision and best for her magic.

-Dana is unable to tell others about her husband and son. Since she cannot lie, Dana can't say anything like "I used to have a husband and son" because after Kith they never existed.
I'm hoping this isn't too far from the tone you are going for, but I've had this character in my head for a while and this seems like a good excuse to use her.
Okay, well, sadly there's a couple of things with this sheet that needs to be fixed. Firstly, the personality section seems to focus on what she does and what opinions she has rather than her actual personality, which makes her hard to grasp. While what's there is fine, I would prefer that you add more to it, if simply so that I can look at how the character would interact with others.

Secondly, the magic is a bit of an issue. While I like the core idea of the magic (the adding weight to deals and such), I'm a little worried by the "usually" in it, because that tends to mean that she has tricks up her sleeve I need to know about. As for the downsides to it, while the initial cost of her magic is quite the sacrifice, the blindness seems to be mostly a detail thing, as the ability to see through the eyes of most people 20 feet within her means that it's not really going to come up a lot. If you do want to make it more of a weakness, I'd advice you to cut that by at least half.

Finally, I'll have to admit that I don't know what to do about the backstory, and since it's the core of your character, I'll have to give it more of a consideration. The issue I have with it is that I don't know how I feel about you introducing a supernatural being that seems to be extremely powerful. I'm not telling you to change it, since I don't think you could without scrapping the character entirely, but I'll have to consider with other sheets and so on in mind. I'll let you know if I make a decision before the end of recruitment.

MortifiedPenguin said:
Expressing interest.

Well, depending on schedule. I am a busy penguin after all.
That's fair. I'll give you a while to figure that stuff out, and if you're too busy, please let me know.

PlastikThief said:
Ahh, i'll edit it in, probs like 15 mins, at best, its like a ace in the hole deal. she wouldn't do it under any normal circumstances
That's fine, 15 minutes sound good.

Also, if anyone is wondering, I'll keep the recruitment thread up for at least another 4 days (or as long as I need to). I'm looking for about 7-8 players, and will choose people a day after I close recruitment so that people get the chance to do ensure that their sheets are okay.

MortifiedPenguin

Not So Despicable
Jun 8, 2012
I may have missed it in the OP, but I'll ask anyway.

Is magic known to the general public or is a secret within the community?

Also, do only those that have magic or are connected to it go to Pips and Suits? Or is it an open to all speak easy as long as you meet the prerequisites mentioned in the OP?

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
MortifiedPenguin said:
I may have missed it in the OP, but I'll ask anyway.

Is magic known to the general public or is a secret within the community?

Also, do only those that have magic or are connected to it go to Pips and Suits? Or is it an open to all speak easy as long as you meet the prerequisites mentioned in the OP?
Right, I hadn't put that in the OP, but magic is mostly a secret, not really kept to one community, but rather different communities/cultures. This includes part of the mafia families, individuals, a small number of the cops, and so on.

Pips and Suits is an open to all speakeasy, and few of those who do come there know about magic, though some seems to be drawn to it for that reason.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
MortifiedPenguin said:
DarkRawen said:
Alrighty! Also, just because it pertains to my idea, what kind of ratio in Pips and Suits know about magic?
That would depend on the character sheets, but apart from that... about 15-20 percent, which is far higher than average, though most would only be vaguely aware of it. The number of people who know about magic in the situation at the start of the RP mostly depends on the sheets, though several of the NPCs already there know about it, including both owners.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
DarkRawen said:
Okay, well, sadly there's a couple of things with this sheet that needs to be fixed. Firstly, the personality section seems to focus on what she does and what opinions she has rather than her actual personality, which makes her hard to grasp. While what's there is fine, I would prefer that you add more to it, if simply so that I can look at how the character would interact with others.

Secondly, the magic is a bit of an issue. While I like the core idea of the magic (the adding weight to deals and such), I'm a little worried by the "usually" in it, because that tends to mean that she has tricks up her sleeve I need to know about. As for the downsides to it, while the initial cost of her magic is quite the sacrifice, the blindness seems to be mostly a detail thing, as the ability to see through the eyes of most people 20 feet within her means that it's not really going to come up a lot. If you do want to make it more of a weakness, I'd advice you to cut that by at least half.

Finally, I'll have to admit that I don't know what to do about the backstory, and since it's the core of your character, I'll have to give it more of a consideration. The issue I have with it is that I don't know how I feel about you introducing a supernatural being that seems to be extremely powerful. I'm not telling you to change it, since I don't think you could without scrapping the character entirely, but I'll have to consider with other sheets and so on in mind. I'll let you know if I make a decision before the end of recruitment.
You bring up a number of good points, but because the next few days will be busy for me I'll probably just wait for your decision before I delve deep into editing. That being said, I'd like to provide a few short responses to some of your points to clarify some things.

A) The "usually" is an attempt on my part to keep Dana relevant throughout the RP. The purpose of it isn't to sneak in a Super Saiyan mode without your knowing, but because I'm afraid she'll be completely useless if the action ever heats up or her knowledge has nothing to offer.

B) I was actually planning on Dana having terrible coordination, depth perception, and navigation. I've never been in this sort of situation but I figure trying to pick up a glass at a table without seeing through your own eyes would be quite hard. I'll be fine with halving the distance, though. Also, I intended for Dana's primary price/weakness to be her inability to lie. And yes that is me giving you permission to exploit that as much as possible and I won't get mad.

C) I will confess the background is where I thought the sheet would be the most tonally dissonant. The purpose of Kith is to provide a suitable reason for why Dana is so cautious and prudent in an age of carelessness and whim.

I never meant for Kith to be a malicious devil out to flex with humankind, but instead an uncomfortable outsider who was screwed by an overreaching upstart. Towards the end of the bio I stated he left Dana looking for a way back home and I was working under the assumption that he was successful in leaving Earth, so I don't think there would be any problem with just leaving him alone (unless there's an organization in the setting that would learn about him and try to drag him back).