Red Baron Kickstarter Canceled

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Baron Kickstarter Canceled

Red Baron creator Damon Slye admits that the Kickstarter for a remake of the game hasn't gone as well as he'd hoped.

It was a happy day last week when Damon Slye of Dynamix fame announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128923-Red-Baron-Flies-the-Kickstarter-Skies] plans to bring the great First World War flight sim Red Baron back to life through his new indie startup Mad Otter Games, with help from Kickstarter. Things aren't quite so happy today, however, as the tepid response has forced the team to pull the plug.

"As some of you have noticed and mentioned, the Kickstarter for Red Baron hasn't been quite as successful as we had hoped. We are a new to crowdfunding, and in turn the Red Baron campaign didn't quite reach as many ears as we needed," Slye wrote in a Kickstarter update. "That being said, we are going to cancel the Kickstarter campaign... for now. We will still be moving forward with Red Baron with the plans to relaunch the campaign early next year."

Slye said Mad Otter will spend the next few months "honing our message and vision," and improving the game based on the feedback it has received so far. He also encouraged fans to get the word out and to stay active on Mad Otter's Red Baron forums, and as a "thank you" to supporters, he said that all forum members and everyone who follows the studio on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Tumblr and has pledged at the minimum purchase tier of $15 or more will be given alpha access to the game.

It's an unfortunate development for old-time joystick jockeys (like me) but my hope is that with some lessons learned and a greater sense of urgency among those who want to see Red Baron return, Slye and the family Otter can return next year and make this thing happen.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron/posts/646132]

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
...Well I didn't even know this existed, so I can see what he means by it not reaching enough ears... hopefully the next time he tries it will be more successful.

Aug 1, 2010
Furioso said:
...Well I didn't even know this existed, so I can see what he means by it not reaching enough ears... hopefully the next time he tries it will be more successful.
This.

I absolutely adore Red Baron and I would have loved to back this project.

I really hope he can get some more support together for it.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Furioso said:
This.

I absolutely adore Red Baron and I would have loved to back this project.

I really hope he can get some more support together for it.
I'm with you on this one, Mr. Bond, I loved that game and would have thrown money at this Kickstarter had I ever heard of it. Well, here's hoping the whole thing puts itself together for when they reopen to contributions.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
To be honest, the reason I didn't back it was that it looked too arcadey. Red Baron always struck a sweet balance between arcade and simulation, but this one looked like the Wind Waker of combat flight sims, with unrealistically sloped and compressed-looking terrain being the thing that annoyed me most about it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm... I might have kicked some money into it had I heard about it. I do find Baron von Richthofen an interesting individual. Hopefully the momentum will swing their way next time.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A pity. I quite liked the original game, back in the day.

...That said, I wasn't in a hurry to pony up. I'm in on quite enough KS campaigns right now.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Callate said:
A pity. I quite liked the original game, back in the day.

...That said, I wasn't in a hurry to pony up. I'm in on quite enough KS campaigns right now.
And isn't that kinda the problem? There's that many kickstarts for classic games, that make you go "ohh, I like the original... my childhood nostalgia is kicking in... give them money!"