Red Dead Redemption Comes to Xbox One (Via BC)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Red Dead Redemption Comes to Xbox One (Via BC)

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1273/1273315.jpg
One of the most celebrated titles of last-gen has hit Xbox One's backwards compatibility list.

Rockstar Game's award winning 2010 classic: Red Dead Rdemption, will be the latest title to join Xbox One's backwards compatibility list, NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180698] has discovered. The game appears to be available to download, but is unsearchable, meaning you have to do a little digging to find the download link.

In the NeoGAF thread, user "rockohoward" suggests searching for his gamertag, where he has posted a download link on his profile. This has been confirmed to work by multiple sources.

At the moment, it looks like the backwards compatibility only works if you have purchased the digital version of Red Dead Redemption on Xbox 360. We are assuming that support for physical copies will come in the future, similarly to all of the other Xbox One backwards compatible titles.

[gallery=5651]

This is obliviously a goof on Microsoft's part, as several other as-of-yet-unannounced titles have also been made backwards compatible in a similar way, including Left 4 Dead 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180698]

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
On one side, hurray! My cousin has this and an Xbox 360, while I traded my old for the new and it's the first game we thought of when backwards compatibility was announced.
On the other side, RDR is $49.95 in my region on the Xbox store, so I'm waiting for disc compatibility.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Awesome news - one of the classics of last gen, and typically the one major game I've been hoping will make the BC list. I've more or less retired my 360 with its random attitude to ejecting the disc tray, so I look forward to the disc DL update and a first replay in years.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I am glad that this game is getting a slight resurgence, the price seems a tad high for a 360 game, my main concern is how well the game would play. There have been a few games that have been almost unplayable, from what I have read. This is why I am happy with my PS4, while we are getting ps2 games we have to pay for, at a slower pace, the price is smaller, and each game has been touched up with HD graphics, achievement support, and they even patch some of the older games. So, good luck to all Xbox One owners who will shell out $50 for RDR.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
While I am glad that this game is getting a slight resurgence, the price seems a tad high for a 360 game, my main concern is how well the game would play. There have been a few games that have been almost unplayable, from what I have read. This is why I am happy with my PS4, while we are getting ps2 games we have to pay for, at a slower pace, the price is smaller, and each game has been touched up with HD graphics, achievement support, and they even patch some of the older games. So, good luck to all Xbox One owners who will shell out $50 for RDR.
Huh, bought the game from the online store and it was 29$
Anyway, looks like they've fixed it. If you try to download RDR through the steps provided, it'll download, but when you start it up its actually just Hexic HD...
Looking forward to the official release though, I never had a chance to play the original back in the day and a PC release is probably not gonna happen.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Meanwhile the on-disk 360 version can be bought for 5 pounds (why the hell doesn't the pound symbol work on here?? Whateverz!). Yeah, a bit cheeky to charge that much, M$. But I guess there will always be people with no sense of value and willing to pay lip-service to any supplier offering hints of past joys. This lack of backwards compatibility is turning out to be quite a profitable evolution in gaming.
What is Rockstar even working on now? GTA online was ages ago and they have always been pretty reliable for interesting stories, characters and humour.

Steven Bogos said:
This is obliviously a goof on Microsoft's part
This typo is bothering me a lot more than it has any right to be. Strange.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sigh. no, its not. The Xbox BC is basically an emulator of Xbox 360, so in theory it will work with any 360 game barring additional DRM not breaking it. Thats about all there is to this and other such "goofs".

DarklordKyo said:
Cool, can PC users have it now?
No, we cannot. This is because Rockstar has lost the source code for RDR and would have to rebuild then entire game from scratch to port it to any device.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Strazdas said:
Sigh. no, its not. The Xbox BC is basically an emulator of Xbox 360, so in theory it will work with any 360 game barring additional DRM not breaking it. Thats about all there is to this and other such "goofs".

No, we cannot. This is because Rockstar has lost the source code for RDR and would have to rebuild then entire game from scratch to port it to any device.
Wouldn't it be worth it on their part for the extra cash?, particularly considering how well-received it is.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
DarklordKyo said:
Strazdas said:

Wouldn't it be worth it on their part for the extra cash?, particularly considering how well-received it is.
I guess we will never know. I personally think the answer is no, there wouldnt be enough people buying to be worthy rebuilding an entire game from scratch. then you will of course meet people who will get angry with you for changing anything if you tweak things at all.

I also dont recall where, but i think a few years ago i read in an interview with rockstart that they prefer to "focus on developing new games" than to recycle old ones, even if it was profitable.

So dont hold your breath on that one.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
yeah but how bout
you make the game

for the PC
thats a good idea

do that Rockstar

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
Given the current trend in gaming, it would just be a crappy console port, unopimised for PCs.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
008Zulu said:
Strazdas said:
Given the current trend in gaming, it would just be a crappy console port, unopimised for PCs.
Well, Rockstars last two games - Max Payne 3 and GTA 5 were well optimized for PC. Though RDR came around the time of GTA4 which was one of the worst ports and actually held the title of worst port ever till Unity came along.