Red Faction: Guerilla

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Red Faction: Guerilla? Only thing I heard about that was the ostrich hammer.

I remember the first game as kind of decent atleast, definetly nothing childhood ruining atleast. The destroying walls gimmick was short lived but it still was alright.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I really enjoy these articles, it helps burn a good 3 minutes of my friday and I like reading them with an air of superiority as I speak aloud to myself.

"Yes Mr Yatzhee, guerilla warfare is a delightfully deadly practise that has yet to be encapsulated within the medium, and whilst I agree with your ideology, I also find the action genre to be shallow and pedantic".

And I'm also smoking a pipe as I say these things.
Just because.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I completely agree with the comments about Gurellia! About the only game I've ever played that allowed you to really act like a gurellia was Operation Flashpoint: Resistance; but that went too far into realism for me, and had the familar Operation Flashpoint bugs.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
A proper Guerilla Warfare game would be pretty fucking awesome. I'd like to see a Vietnam war game where you play as the Vietcong. Setting traps, escaping into tunnels, assimilating yourself into local villages, ambushing people - it would be pretty fun.

It'll never get done mind you, for the same reason why some Americans have a problem with a game based around the American Civil War (yet they have no problem gunning down Germans or Japanese). [http://blogs.chron.com/gamehacks/2009/07/racism_in_video_games_the_new.html#more]

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Woah..he reads the comments of the forums?

I'm kinda blown away here. I should watch my mouth.

Also, does anyone remember that fucking joke of a mission where they say you need to use stealth to destroy some planes? There was no way to go through without being detected because everyone has a wireless "alarm button" as if it was a life alert on their wrist, and you could only use your hammer (and you can't use the cover button with that) - so what did I do? I ran through planting the altimeter charges right in front of those idiots and they still got in the planes and died.

I'm almost certain that if I didn't already trigger the alert, my next objective would have been to cause an alert to get someone to fly the planes.
I remember that one, eventually I just got bored of the alarm dodging and just ran in, putting remote chargs on all the planes and watching the blow up in middair, good times

but I didnt like that the buildings didnt come back after being destroyed, I know that may be unrealistic but that was my favorite part of the game, blowing shit up and when there was no shit for blowing up I got bored

also the nano thingy needed more uses than just the rifle, mabye a nano bamb + the should of let us fly the planes

last thing, while I was blowing up the final base in the end with a walker, I was thinking, that they designed these nice buildings for nothing but rubble

(if anyone couldnt see the last part coming, with the base and everything, wow)

EDIT:

FightThePower said:
A proper Guerilla Warfare game would be pretty fucking awesome. I'd like to see a Vietnam war game where you play as the Vietcong. Setting traps, escaping into tunnels, assimilating yourself into local villages, ambushing people - it would be pretty fun.

It'll never get done mind you, for the same reason why some Americans have a problem with a game based around the American Civil War (yet they have no problem gunning down Germans or Japanese). [http://blogs.chron.com/gamehacks/2009/07/racism_in_video_games_the_new.html#more]

whoever wrote that article blog thing is an idiot, I still say the war originated because the south wanted a confederate government, not because of slaves (although that was a big reason, but not the biggest and definatly not the sole reason)

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Since his main problem is the gameplay not being stealthy.

Let me ask anyone who played the game this.

Would you have liked the game more if it was named something different?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
You should really put together a solid game pitch, one day, and send it out to some of your Developer friends, Yahtzee. It would be extremely fun to play a few of these ideas you've mentioned, and a gameplay mechanic that involves bad puns as part of the dialogue, but in a meaningful, dickish way would actually be interesting. We know you have at least sarcastic pull with a few teams, so why not exert a little bit of influence, and put forth something we could all get beind.

Drag0nWarri0r

Jul 24, 2009
I have been searching forums for Red Faction Guerrilla for a post I once wrote detailing exactly how I stealthed into a heavily guard enemy base and leveled a building before the alert even went above green, unfortunately I can't find it. It's a shame too, because it is a perfect retort to this Extra Punctuation article (as my post in the review's comments was to that).

Just because there aren't light/sound meters on the UI, or enemies with exclamation points over their heads, doesn't mean you can't play stealthy. Notice that alert level icon on the corner of the mini-map? Yeah, keep that in the green and your stealthing. Even if it goes to yellow, kill any guards that noticed without any others seeing and hide out for a minute. It will drop back down to green.

This is an open world game and yet it is getting criticized for having a difficult wanted meter, you know the 6 star meters alert levels in Saint's Row and GTA. It's guerrilla if you choose to play it guerrilla, and it is difficult to do so as attacking an overwhelmingly powerful force would be. Yes there are some missions that demand all out frontal assault, but many others can be stealthed from clever angles in the terrain and with the right weapons (Hammer and Nano Rifle).

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Also, does anyone remember that fucking joke of a mission where they say you need to use stealth to destroy some planes? There was no way to go through without being detected because everyone has a wireless "alarm button" as if it was a life alert on their wrist, and you could only use your hammer (and you can't use the cover button with that)...
False. I stealthed that mission quite easily. I snuck in from the mountains to the east, I then killed every soldier in the visible area one at a time, making sure to do so when no other guard would see. And of course, I used silent weapons like the Hammer and Nano Rifle. Of course using a Rail Gun or Assault Rifle would alert guards, they're loud.

pimppeter2 said:
Since his main problem is {his inability to play the game stealthy with any degree of success}...

Let me ask anyone who played the game this.

Would you have liked the game more if it was named something different?
First let me just say I fixed your statement with what's within the {}.

Now for you question, it could have been named "Farmer John Rapes a Cow" and it still wouldn't change the fact that this is one of the most pure fun games I have played in a long time (something Volition is great at, as Yahtzee even noted in the Saint's Row 2 review), and my favorite open-world sandbox game to date. This is finally some of that emmergent gameplay that was so hyped up for this generation of game consoles prior to their release.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Well that clarifies the inconsistency, and I thank Yahtzee for answering the question without making fun of me too much. I maintain my belief that dickishness simulators have a place in our pantheon of gaming genres. It was Overlord's poor implementation of the concept rather than the concept itself that caused it to be such a mediocre game.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Woah..he reads the comments of the forums?

I'm kinda blown away here. I should watch my mouth.

Also, does anyone remember that fucking joke of a mission where they say you need to use stealth to destroy some planes? There was no way to go through without being detected because everyone has a wireless "alarm button" as if it was a life alert on their wrist, and you could only use your hammer (and you can't use the cover button with that) - so what did I do? I ran through planting the altimeter charges right in front of those idiots and they still got in the planes and died.

I'm almost certain that if I didn't already trigger the alert, my next objective would have been to cause an alert to get someone to fly the planes.
Oh I fucking hated that mission. All the fucking planes flew off for me after first few bombs. Just took the piss.

Ironpanda

Apr 15, 2009
i didn't even bother going past the demo on the game i could see a shitty mercinaries wanna be with more destroyable terrain in the demo alone. also i agree with Yahtzee i want to see a game with TRUE guerrila warfare

diablomaki

Jul 17, 2009
i remember playing Red Faction multiplayer back when that meant other people in your house, besides the mislabeling did the new game have a fun variety of guns? multi payer value? a crazy cluster sticky grenade shooter thingy? i dunno i feel like me and my friend's(and others like us) over-play of the 1st one caused this sequel, if its as sad as you make it sound, i am sad now as well

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
One of the reasons I value Yahtzee's opinion on games (rather than just finding him to be a funny reviewer) is that his likes and mine tend to align a good percentage of the time. We're both Thief aficionadoes; we both enjoy stalking up behind a clueless guard and giving them a good thwack on the bonce (I love that word, bonce. Bonce bonce bonce). There's a beauty in using tactics and careful maneuvering to place one's self in proper position to finish an objective.

I have to agree with his argument here, as well. I haven't played Red Faction: Guerilla (in fact, I only ever played the demo for the original), but the widespread view of guerilla warfare is of infiltration, sneak attacks and hit-and-run, jabrwock's ultimately correct definition notwithstanding. Games that force you into their own method of combat by letting the enemy automagically know where you are at any given moment are bad enough (there's a reason that almost all games these days have at least some sort of "where did he go" AI routines for its enemies), but when it blows the expected premise out of the water that thoroughly, I could see where it would be doubly disappointing.

hathfallen

Nov 7, 2007
Yahtzee's game idea would be really fun to play, but I don't think anyone has the stones to make what people would undoubtedly call a terrorist simulator.

Except maybe Rockstar.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
These articles are really interesting, I think I have an unopened copy of Red Faction Guerrilla somewhere. I am not sure why I bought it when I already have Prototype.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
At first I agreed with this idea of "its not fun because they say its ok", but what happens when I apply this idea to Sains Row 2?
This game isn't like GTAIV, you're suppost to be an arsehole who blows up nuclear power plans for shits and giggles, yet I still had fun in doing so.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
lumpenprole said:
I had no problem with the game not being a stealth game. But then, outside of the worshipped-by-me Thief series, I find stealth games to be boring as whale poop. If I wanted to lie under a dumpster while idiots walk by saying the same things over and over, I'd go to a family reunion. I'm in games for fun.
Have you perchance played Hitman: Blood Money? If not I'd give it a go, because it's the most enjoyable stealth game I've played. Sneaking in itself is rarely fun, but the idea of hiding in plain sight and just having to properly sneak in certain places were you're not supposed to be keeps it at just the right level.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
I was thinking about trying this awhile back...I played the first one and disliked it. Now I am unsure...maybe I will give it a rent...if I can ever find it lol.