Red Faction: Guerilla

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
So is it more of an example of bad advertising? If the "guerrilla" was taken out of the title and replaced with... say... "revolution" (which sounds a bit cliche) would it have been more enjoyable?

I don't know, maybe the title and use of "guerrilla warfare" was what kept this game from being more of a Mercenaries clone?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Woah..he reads the comments of the forums?

I'm kinda blown away here. I should watch my mouth.

Also, does anyone remember that fucking joke of a mission where they say you need to use stealth to destroy some planes? There was no way to go through without being detected because everyone has a wireless "alarm button" as if it was a life alert on their wrist, and you could only use your hammer (and you can't use the cover button with that) - so what did I do? I ran through planting the altimeter charges right in front of those idiots and they still got in the planes and died.

I'm almost certain that if I didn't already trigger the alert, my next objective would have been to cause an alert to get someone to fly the planes.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
So this will be done regularly? Awesome. It's a fun little aside. And he is pretty right about the stuff he says.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Good article, these elaborations on the reviews are actually quite interesting.

The videos for Red Faction: Guerrilla were never that impressive to me.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
I'm really starting to like these articles, they make some nice points and are a good laugh.

LionsFist

Jul 20, 2009
Probably pointless, but just in case he is reading...

Felt a bit as though this weeks ZP was designed to be a two parter with this EP. The ZP alone didn't quite feel complete as the rest of them have. Could be that it's just me reading into it too much though.

Anyways, definitely agree with the argument and I'll expect an awesome stealth section when your game is released ;)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I still don't understand the whole Overlord is being a dick because he can arguement. It is Gnarl who is all bent on destroying the Empire because he is evil not The Overlord. The Overlord's motivation is simple revenge and he is gaining a profit to boot. Simple and straightforward. And if anyone had beat the first you would know Gnarl is a dick for the sake of being a dick. He is after all the wizard behind the curtain.

And we are doomed now that it has been revealed you read comments.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
He Always Reads comments and Questions, its his choice if he cares enough to answer, most cases he has better things to do then answer id wager

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Uh oh... he responded to a comment from the forums, the writings on the wall now...

Oh, and about your proposed game; I'd buy 8.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm going to agree this time (unlike last time, Fable sure, Overlord NOT)

Guerrilla is an incorrect term I suppose, but it could have been worse. They could have said it had stealth sections and other features (Assassin's Creed I'm looking at you!) and of course didn't. It still advertised what the game is about IE blowing s**t up!

And it did that well!

JesterOfPuppets

Jul 15, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Woah..he reads the comments of the forums?

I'm kinda blown away here. I should watch my mouth.

Also, does anyone remember that fucking joke of a mission where they say you need to use stealth to destroy some planes? There was no way to go through without being detected because everyone has a wireless "alarm button" as if it was a life alert on their wrist, and you could only use your hammer (and you can't use the cover button with that) - so what did I do? I ran through planting the altimeter charges right in front of those idiots and they still got in the planes and died.

I'm almost certain that if I didn't already trigger the alert, my next objective would have been to cause an alert to get someone to fly the planes.
I remember that mission. Although, for me it was less of a "plant bombs on the planes before they take off and watch them explode in the air" and more of a "fail to plant the bombs on the planes before they take off and then watch slightly amused as they crash into each other midair and careen into that machine gun nest, blowing it to hell and completing the mission."

Red Faction: Guerilla was awesome fun, but not very tactical at all. Steath would have been a good addition...even adopting the camouflage system from Mercenaries 2 wherin driving a faction's vehicle would disguise you as that faction would have been welcome. But no, all of the EDF forces have x-ray vision and can see right through solid sheetmetal.

On a side note: I actually havn't finished the game. I could stand the plot taking a shit dive after five seconds into the game. I could stand there being no visible difference in ANYTHING after the guerilla base is completely destroyed and you're supposed to be one of the few survivors. I could stand the hastily takked on subplot with the raiders. But the exceedingly long final mission with several thousand enemies armed with rocket launchers blowing your tank to hell, numerous sniper and machinegun nests, culminating in a boss fight, and then another rocket launcher gauntlet, with NO CHECKPOINTS at ANY point? Fuck you, Red Faction. I liked you better when you didn't challenge me.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
I had no problem with the game not being a stealth game. But then, outside of the worshipped-by-me Thief series, I find stealth games to be boring as whale poop. If I wanted to lie under a dumpster while idiots walk by saying the same things over and over, I'd go to a family reunion. I'm in games for fun.

But I can see his point.

What I can't get behind, however, is the casual tossing off of the first Red Faction being crap. I'm sorry but I loved that game. Yeah, I know it had issues, but here's some of my highlights:

1. The opening. You're a miner, you're mining. You take one too many biffs up the head from the supervisor, you smack the crap out of him with your pick, take his gun, and start the revolution. That is seriously one of the most immersive openings to a video game of all time.

2. Save anywhere on a console. Up until that point, all fps, in fact all games, I had ever played on a console were save point games. Red Faction allowed me to save anywhere. No more throwing the controller across the room when I messed up right before a totally arbitrarily placed save point. Sweet relief.

3. The variety of missions. I totally thought of this the first time I played Halo. And actually, is the thing I miss most in the new RF. It's funny that Yahtzee should complain about the lack of a stealth mechanic because that was one of my favorite moments in RF1. You steal an executive outfit and go through the offices. As long as you don't get to close to anyone you're fine. Reminded me (in a totally small way) of Thief. Plus, there were sniper moments, run for your life moments, etc.

4. Explosives and GeoMod. Oh sure, the destructible environments weren't quite as cool as they touted, but there were several times in that game that I avoided key card hunts by blowing holes around the doors. Oh god I wish I could do that in other fps.

Okay rant over. Yahtzee, you're the tops of your field, keep on shining you crazy foul-mouthed diamond.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Paulrus_Keaton said:
So is it more of an example of bad advertising? If the "guerrilla" was taken out of the title and replaced with... say... "revolution" (which sounds a bit cliche) would it have been more enjoyable?
Probably not more enjoyable but more truthful as for what to expect.

Overall though it was a decent sandbox game with a broken physics engine.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
this is the perfect case of a game where the advertising and labeling make it out to be "guerrilla", while the tv commercials just show shit blowing up and rampaging. id say they just threw guerrilla on the title to make it sound cool, without actually thinking that players would evaluate or read into the situation much

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Maybe they meant the "ambush/raid" & "small irregular army" part of guerrilla warfare, rather than the "covert" tactics guerrilla fighters use to accomplish the goal of ambushing and raiding.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Man, I really wish the game was like that. I really do. I was really excited for being sneaky super dick to the EDF, but I'm satisfied with just getting to tear down buildings with nothing but a sledgehammer. It's just annoying that the fun buildings always even a battalion of EDF shocktroops intent on introducing to their friends and their bright blue bullets, making it very, very difficult to have just tearing buildings down.