Red Ring Of Death Whisteblower Gets Canned

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Ring Of Death Whisteblower Gets Canned

A Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] contract employee who spoke on record in Dean Takahashi's in-depth look at the red ring of death fiasco has, shockingly, been fired.

Robert Delaware was a game and hardware tester at VMC, a Microsoft contractor. In 2006, he found a crash bug that could be duplicated on every game he tested. "If you coordinated the music player with the dashboard, you could get almost every 360 to lock up," he said in the Xbox Live [http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/] dashboard update embedded in the game, and that the practice of including dashboard updates in games was also responsible for other hardware failures.

Takahashi wrote that Delaware was aware of the risks he faced in speaking on record, and he ran headlong into those risks on September 10 when he was informed that he was being let go because of the article. Delaware told [http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/12/microsoft-fires-game-test-contractor-who-talked-to-venturebeat/] VentureBeat that he also expected to face civil charges from VMC and Microsoft, presumably for breaking the non-disclosure agreement he was almost certainly subject to, but nonetheless says he doesn't regret speaking up, calling it "the moral thing to do." Of the potential civil action, he added, "I'll fight it. If they want to come after me, bring it on."

Moral it may be, but going on record with his comments was practically begging VMC to fire him. Non-disclosure agreements are legally binding contracts, and companies like Microsoft don't put them in place just because their lawyers have families to feed. It's difficult to fathom his motivation to tempt fate like this, as it would have been just as easy for him to speak anonymously, as several other sources did. Regardless of whether he felt an attributable source would carry more weight or he just wanted his 15 minutes, he blatantly broke the terms of his NDA, and if Microsoft wants such agreements to be taken seriously in the future, it's obligated to do something about it. If he's lucky, he'll be fired, the whole thing will blow over and a few months down the road he'll get a job testing for EA; if he's unlucky, Microsoft will decide to make an example of him, and pursue the matter to its most punitive conclusion. "Bring it on" is a great sound bite, but as recent history has shown, not always the best choice of words for an uncertain future.

(image [http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/12/microsoft-fires-game-test-contractor-who-talked-to-venturebeat/])

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
He wants to come out looking like the heroic David facing the Goliath that is Microsoft... instead he ends up like a rat challenging a python.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
It's interesting what he said though. I hadn't even realised that DR came with a Dashboard update (which unsurprisingly enough could have caused failures).

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Well... big businesses bite back, it seems. He knew of the risks when he did this, and he'll live with the consequences.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.71602.730362 said:
Retarded fool. As they said, go anonymous.
Agreed, leaking it around /v/ would have been a surefire way of finding it on hundreds of YouTube videos, plus snitch inserts in gaming magazines and so on.

Yet it's interesting to know that these dahsboard updates can cause crashes, because I think something similar did happen with some xboxes (original ones), right ?

Calabi

Dec 4, 2007
Well whatever reasons he's doing it for it proves one thing, you cannot hide things or close peoples lips, with words and NDA's.

It may cause a lessening of corporations arrogant, roughshod attitude, although I doubt it.

At least, They may take all his money, but they'll never take his Freedom.

Mimble

Sep 19, 2007
I admire his courage, but I wonder how prepared he really is for the fallout.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
It was a good thing to do, but... Why? Was it seriously just for fame? If it's an easily-duplicable crash bug, then people could've just tried it, if they wanted confirmation... Weird... And, y'know, illegal. This makes no sense.

Mistah Kurtz

Jul 6, 2008
If he didn't want to keep quiet about a company's questionable dealings then he shouldn't have signed a non-disclosure agreement. Sure it was the right thing to do, but it was also the wrong thing to do to violate his agreement. The rats who snitched on their bosses in the mafia were called rats for a reason - they were rats.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Calabi post=7.71602.732987 said:
Well whatever reasons he's doing it for it proves one thing, you cannot hide things or close peoples lips, with words and NDA's.

It may cause a lessening of corporations arrogant, roughshod attitude, although I doubt it.

At least, They may take all his money, but they'll never take his Freedom.
Keep telling yourself that once he's jailed...

Smells Like Muff

Sep 17, 2008
Imagine his next interview...

"It will be great to have you on board here at ! Here are some paperwork to fill out and you can start monday once you sign this non-disclosure agreement.
Awww wait. Nevermind."

hehe

Morality through anonymity methinks was the way to go on this one.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Considering how little temp testers get paid, he really had nothing to lose and was probably hoping they would fire him over this.

Go for broke or go home.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
aren't they supposed to come clean on these types of things anyways? guess he'll get sued for being honest and upfront and at the worst have nda's made illegal or at least in some instances