Redundant sidequests

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Tell me, what is the most meaningless sidequest you've done in a game, that you still do just for kicks? Mine has to be in Final Fantasy VII when Cloud has to dress up as a girl to get into Don Corneo's mansion. I always get the extra items so Don chooses him. It's just so damn hilarious!

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
CrazyHaircut94 said:
Final Fantasy VII when Cloud has to dress up as a girl
Oh, so he just walks into the place without doing anything?

*Rimshot*

There aren't a whole lot of funny sidequests, most are just useless time-wasters.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Mr.Wiggles said:
On fable there was Beardy Baldy who tried to get you to look like an idiot for his daughter.There was the Space Monkeys in Mass effect.There are actually a lot of funny ones if you look hard enough!
Both of those are games I don't have. Point taken, though.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Some of the stuff Borderlands made you do was just plain weird. You want me to shoot bird shit of a wind turbine? Why?

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
The most annoying side-quest I've ever done is the one that I couldn't make out. Like that Ghost Pirate's Treasure at fable 1. What the f- is a "jetty", by the way?

Silly pirates. Can't talk straight.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
starfox444 said:
iLikeHippos said:
The most annoying side-quest I've ever done is the one that I couldn't make out. Like that Ghost Pirate's Treasure at fable 1. What the f- is a "jetty", by the way?

Silly pirates. Can't talk straight.
"A jetty is a structure extending into a body of water, which protects a harbor or coastline from the effects of currents and tides."

Don't call pirates silly when you have a smaller vocabulary than them, good sir.
Yeah, we vikings often don't get to learn exactly the names of coast-line protection constructions at school. So I thank you for the information.

Still, that quest seems fail to me, because I don't feel like entering the domains of wikipedia to learn how to beat that side-quest. And I think the cheat sites are creepy. So people like me are naturally screwed.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
The Wonder Chef sidequest in Tales of Symphonia.

All throughout the game, you could examine out of place objects, and a mysterious man would appear, calling himself 'the Mysterious Gourmet, the Wonder Chef'. He apparently appears to a lot of people, as his legend is spoken in many places. He would give you food recipes which you used to heal your dudes. If you found all of them, you could train in them, and upgrade your level of cooking them. Once you'd trained all of them to max with a specific character, having collected them all, you could find the Wonder Chef in a plaza in one of the cities, and challenge him to a cook off. You win, and get the title; "Wonder Chef", for the specific character. With some amusing dialogue besides.

Allstar309

Apr 19, 2009
I love the one in Oblivion when your locked in a house with all these people looking for hidden gold. And you kill them all and then they start accusing each other. The best part is if you do it right, you can get them to kill each other.

I replayed the quest like 4 times.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
would have to be the ones on assassins creed 2.
there is no reason to do them but I do anyway just because.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Sephychu said:

All throughout the game, you could examine out of place objects, and a mysterious man would appear, calling himself 'the Mysterious Gourmet, the Wonder Chef'. He apparently appears to a lot of people, as his legend is spoken in many places. He would give you food recipes which you used to heal your dudes. If you found all of them, you could train in them, and upgrade your level of cooking them. Once you'd trained all of them to max with a specific character, having collected them all, you could find the Wonder Chef in a plaza in one of the cities, and challenge him to a cook off. You win, and get the title; "Wonder Chef", for the specific character. With some amusing dialogue besides.
His girl version in Legendia, The wonder baker is just as weird, you find her and watch her cock things up and some how that teaches you the recipe for muffins.

OT:Speaking of Tales games Smyphonia's dog naming quest is just plain tedious. As Collete you must name every dog in the world. She does give them odd ball names so it's not too bad.

Also Persona 3 FES had Elizbeth's requests, the best being her dates where she just acts as odd as possible then you go to the MC's dorm and check out her compendium(wow that line was lame).

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Allstar309 said:
I love the one in Oblivion when your locked in a house with all these people looking for hidden gold. And you kill them all and then they start accusing each other. The best part is if you do it right, you can get them to kill each other.

I had a special save just for that quest.

As a good buddy of mine once said, "If there are 5 people in a house that all begin to slowly disappear, and the survivors can't figure out that the guy in Dadric armor is behind it, they deserve to die."

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
YoUnG205 said:
would have to be the ones on assassins creed 2.
there is no reason to do them but I do anyway just because.
That and Mass Effect. Just so awful.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
UncleUlty said:
Sephychu said:

OT:Speaking of Tales games Smyphonia's dog naming quest is just plain tedious. As Collete you must name every dog in the world. She does give them odd ball names so it's not too bad.
And then half of them die when you get halfway through the game! That pissed me off.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Allstar309 said:

Man, I had totally forgotten that one. It's freaking awesome!

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Lol, when I went back and did T.K.'s Borderlands quest and got the shotgun, which was like a third of the power of the shotgun I already had.

Also, insert Mass Effect surveying side quests.

WillSimplyBe

Mar 16, 2009
Mr.Wiggles said:
lwm3398 said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
Final Fantasy VII when Cloud has to dress up as a girl
Oh, so he just walks into the place without doing anything?

*Rimshot*

There aren't a whole lot of funny sidequests, most are just useless time-wasters.
On fable there was Beardy Baldy who tried to get you to look like an idiot for his daughter.There was the Space Monkeys in Mass effect.There are actually a lot of funny ones if you look hard enough!
Beardy Baldy filled me with SO MUCH RAGE. I took out my bow and shot at him as he ran away giggling.... bastard.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
any sandbox games racing sub games, such as Assassin's Creed or Crackdown's race's.

"yeah I know your supposed to be out murdering gangster's and actually changing the lives of the oppressed masses, but why don't you take time off and if you beat me on this course I'll give you 50 dollars!"

I'm pretty certain thats how Colenel Mustard had his shit fucked up
"Mustard, the Native Indians are coming!"
"can't you see I'm busy having a race?"