Refurbished 3DS Now Available From Nintendo's Official Store

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Refurbished 3DS Now Available From Nintendo's Official Store

All DSi and 3DS purchases come with a one-year warranty, and can only be bought directly from Nintendo.

Taking a leaf out of Apple's book, which has been selling certified refurbished products for years, Nintendo has made a range of "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products" available on its official US online store [https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&currency=USD&ignoreCrumbs=Y&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C3%88%C3%89%C3%87&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=&searchText=&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=&categoryId=70706&lastAction=CategoryDisplay&orderTotal=null&tranId=0&jktranid=&rpComment=&dropOff=]. Several variants of the 3DS and DSi XL systems are available for purchase. They come with a 1 year warranty (the same warranty you'll get on a brand new system) and can only be purchased directly from Nintendo. A list of the systems available and their price is as follows:

Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.98
Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.99
Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.99
Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.98

According to Nintendo, "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products are the only refurbished products in the market that have been cleaned, tested, and inspected to meet Nintendo's high standards." They are guaranteed to be fully functional, but may have minor cosmetic blemishes.

The current RRP for a brand new 3DS is $169.99, and the DSi XL retails for $129.99, meaning the refurbished systems will save you about $30. Many videogame outlets such as Gamestop already offer deals on used "refurbished" systems, but buying from Nintendo seems to offer you a bigger discount, the promise of a 1 year warranty, and a bigger assurance that the thing will actually work properly.

Source: Nintendo Online Store [https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&currency=USD&ignoreCrumbs=Y&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C3%88%C3%89%C3%87&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=&searchText=&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=&categoryId=70706&lastAction=CategoryDisplay&orderTotal=null&tranId=0&jktranid=&rpComment=&dropOff=]

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
So about all I really took away from this article is that the 3DS comes in purple.
So I looked online for a purple 3DS-XL and found this picture:
And now I'm sad that I can't have one...

Anyway: It's cool to see official DSi-XLs being sold at under $100, it's old hardware by now but there's an impressive library and that's a very good price.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SoulSalmon said:
So about all I really took away from this article is that the 3DS comes in purple.
I thought that was a regular 3DS. Though Zelda or not, I'd kill for a purple XL.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Damn, these are sweet deals even against eBay. I might actually consider buying one.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
See the problem with this is that it requires me to do business with Nintendo, and I much prefer the smug satisfaction I can get from buying at GS and knowing that my money goes to a company that hasn't been flipping me the bird for the past two console generations. Besides I manged to get one of these: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542 which is way nicer looking than anything on Nintendo's list.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
major_chaos said:
See the problem with this is that it requires me to do business with Nintendo, and I much prefer the smug satisfaction I can get from buying at GS and knowing that my money goes to a company that hasn't been flipping me the bird for the past two console generations. Besides I manged to get one of these: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542 which is way nicer looking than anything on Nintendo's list.
Uh, if Nintendo has been flipping you the bird the last two generations, why do you want to buy their consoles anyway?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
oh god fucking damn it >.<

NOW they release a purple one, bastards ....

why couldn't they have done that sooner, like when I was getting mine >.<

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Does anyone know if they do something like this in the UK? Or would you need to import? Because this is a pretty sweet offer, and was planning on buying a 3DS XL anyway soon, for the new Pokemon games.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
That reminds me, I need to send my 3DS in to get refurbished... Damn L button has worn out and only responds intermittently.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
UNF... DAT PURPLE 3DS D:<

That is actually a pretty nifty deal. I wonder if Nintendo of Europe will do something like this too and with the 3DS XL. I kinda want to upgrade but don't have the money right now (kinda saving up for the Wii U when it'll eventually get some games). A refurbished one that's a chunk cheaper would definitely tempt me.

SoulSalmon said:
And now I'm sad that I can't have one...

Anyway: It's cool to see official DSi-XLs being sold at under $100, it's old hardware by now but there's an impressive library and that's a very good price.
oh yeah, the Majora's Mask photoshop... I know it's only a fantasy but it made me drool.
Still, who would still buy a DSi-XL when the entire DS library can be played on the 3DS anyway?

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I thought that was a regular 3DS. Though Zelda or not, I'd kill for a purple XL.
Well the pic in the article is a regular 3DS, the picture I posted was an XL. The XL has rounded edges and much softer corners.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
I want that purple 3DS! D:< The colour actually reminded me a little of the original GBA and purple GBCs. Gah, if only I didn't already have one... /firstworldproblems

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
major_chaos said:
Uh, if Nintendo has been flipping you the bird the last two generations, why do you want to buy their consoles anyway?
Because his irrational hate for Nintendo prevents him from rationally thinking. Just read all his posts in any Nintendo thread. He even implies that Gamestop is better.
Anyways, OT:
I want that Midnight Purple so badly... it's the sexiest piece of hardware I've ever seen. Why do black and shiny purple go so well together? But I'm currently not in the financial situation to get one.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Shipping to Canada?

I'd be a little worried about screen scratches. I don't care if it's got other blemishes, but screen scratches really fuck with me.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Wait a damn minute! When did Purple 3DS XLs become a thing? Damn it, I just shelled out for an XL, I had no idea I could get them in purple!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'll wait for a cheaper 3DS XL and hopefully be able to save some money for it... if only for the version of Brawl that they're making for it and the new Pokemon.