Regarding a certain popular theory about Jon Snow. (Possible Spoilers)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Angelous Wang said:
Cersei also hates Tyrion because of the witches prophecy that she was going to die by the hand of her little brother. Which she always assumed was Tyrion, though technically even though they are twins Cersei came out first, so Jamie is also her little brother (that part of the prophecy was not shown in the TV show though).
That and the phrasing is "the Valonqar (little brother" not "your Valonqar". So many readers speculated as to any little brother it could be ( Rickon, Sandor Clegane etc).

Then for an added twist some Valyrian words are gender neutral. Aemon said the "Prince Who Was Promised" could refer to a princess, e.g. Daenarys.

So if Valonqar is gender neutral than a "little sister" might kill Cersei. Like Arya who has her on her list.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Your only evidence are the actors they chose to play them in the show and fan art?

The books specifically say that Jon looks more like a Stark than any of his siblings besides Arya (in fact, this makes Catlyn hate him more) AND, furthermore, Arya is said to be the spitting image of Lyanna, and also that she looks like a female Jon. So, if J=A and A=L, than J=L. Meaning that Jon looks like Lyanna.

Everything else, every fan's interpretation, every casting choice made by the showrunners, is ultimately invalid in the face of what GRRM wrote about the characters.

In the books, Jon looks like a male Lyanna. Which means it is definitely possible she is his son.

As for why he has no Targaryean features, those features are very seldom passed on. Fun fact: the Baratheon line is descended from a cadet branch of the Targaryeans. How many of them had silver hair?

By the way: Lyanna has shown up in the show. And she had dark hair and dark eyes.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
But is Lyanna Stark described to have Blue eyes? All the images of Lyanna showcases she does.

And Rhaegar obviously has blue eyes aswell.

But Jon's are Dark Brown/Black. Unless again something to do with Dominance and Recessivness?
Typical Stark eye colour is grey not dark brown or blue and I'm pretty sure that Ned, Jon, Lyanna and Arya all have grey eyes (though Jon's are a very dark grey) and other typical stark features like long serious-looking faces and dark shaggy hair. Reddish-brown hair is a Tully feature not a Stark one.

Don't base how characters are supposed to look on the show's casting choices, it's really unreasonable to expect a TV show to cast people who resemble each other exactly as they should do in the source material, though they could have put a bit more effort into hair dying and coloured contact lenses (Daenerys should really be wearing purple contact lenses).

The main reason for the Targaryen incest is to maintain the Valyrian look down the family line. More than half of the Targaryen Kings seemed to have married their own sisters and many of those who didn't married married cousins or other distant Valyrian descendants (like the Velaryons or ancient noble houses from the free cities) so it's not that surprising that all of them had silver/white hair and purple eyes even if those aren't very genetically dominant. It's also possible that they secretly discarded some babies that didn't have the right features and passed it off as a still birth or an illness in infancy... it's never been mentioned but I certainly wouldn't put it past those crazy fuckers.

The "seed is strong" referred specifically to the dominance of Baratheon features in general for Robert and specifically over Lannister ones in history. I don't believe that any of the Targaryens have married Starks before so we can't really draw any conclusion over the likelihood of Targaryen/Stark offspring taking after either side of the family. Plus if Jon had white hair it would make the mystery an incredibly shit and obvious one.

Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers had black hair and a Targaryen father so there's some precedent, there may well be other examples but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
K12 said:
Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers had black hair and a Targaryen father so there's some precedent, there may well be other examples but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Baelor Breakspear. Dornish mother. Black hair with white streaking
Valarr Targaryn (Son of Baelor). Dondarrion Mother. Brown hair with a gold streak.
Daeron Targaryan (Son of Maekar). Dornish Grandmother. Dayne mother. Sandy blonde hair.
Duncan the Small/Prince of Dragonflies (Son of Aegon V). Blackwood mother. Black hair.

Most of these Targaryans had siblings or family that retained the Targ pure white hair. So it's sort of hit and miss.

Maekar for example had white hair, but a Dornish mother. His son Daeron had brown hair. But other sons Aerion and Aegon had the white silver hair.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Again you are referring to their book incarnations right because Robb and Bran Stark has Dark Brown hair in the show. Rickon is brighter colored but its not reddish.
I wouldn't factor any of the apperance factors in to the show, given that in the book Ned is 35 (Old sir Bean is never going to look 35 even on his best day) Dany is 13 (which adds a whole new a slightly worrying meaning to the way the show intros her) and Rickon is 3 (saying that he may have had a better chance of avoiding those arrows then the guy who decided to just run in a straight line)

From the shows point of view hair colour and appearance are nothing more than a passing guideline you can only go with whatever is telepgraphied to the viwer (i.e the whole bit with Ned reading the Baratheon lineage and hair colour)

The books on the other hand you can put a lot more stock in the physical appearances as described. Mind you it would be quite funny if just for shits and giggles John turned out not to be the off spring of Lyanna and Rheagar.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
We recently got answers with the season finale

Yeah they didn't flat out say it, but they might as well have. Jon is half Targaryen.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BloatedGuppy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But is Lyanna Stark described to have Blue eyes? All the images of Lyanna showcases she does.

And Rhaegar obviously has blue eyes aswell.

But Jon's are Dark Brown/Black. Unless again something to do with Dominance and Recessivness?
There are virtually no 'official' artwork representations of Lyanna Stark anywhere. The closest you're likely to get is the Game of Thrones graphic novel, which was okayed by Martin. This was her representation there:

She's also (barely) visible in the stands at Harrenhall before her selection as Queen of Love and Beauty by Rhaegar. She has dark brown hair there, as well. Her eyes are not visible.
Well say hello to Lyanna Stark (adult) in the show: