Reggie Fils-Aime Sure Seems Quiet These Days?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I remember when the Wii was around, and riding up to the launch of the Wii U, Reggie Fils-Aime seemed to be boasting about how good a position Nintendo were in, but now that the Wii U isn't doing so well, I've noted I don't see so many news features regarding him anymore. Is it just me, or is he not as outspoken as before?

In fact, the last time I remember reading anything from him was a feature on this site where he challenged Microsoft and Sony to give it all they've got to compete with Nintendo's then apparent juggernaut, the Wii U, or something to that nature.

Is the guy still making regular public comments regarding the Wii U and its competitors, or is he genuinely starting to be less outspoken against the competition?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Then I hope both Sony and Microsoft's spokes peolpe will kindly follow his lead.

Nothing good ever comes from these people opening their mouths.

I also think there's not much new things to discuss regarding the Wii-U. There's no new big games out, no new features or peripherals, and no conventions. Sony and Microsoft are ready to launch so obviously they're a bit more in the sweet talking mood.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Nintendo should be happy, October's numbers are not out yet, but they should easily have the #1 and #2 games on the best selling list, with 5 or 6 games in the top 10 and the best selling console in North America 6 months in a row.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Baldr said:
Nintendo should be happy, October's numbers are not out yet, but they should easily have the #1 and #2 games on the best selling list, with 5 or 6 games in the top 10 and the best selling console in North America 6 months in a row.
Wii U is the best selling console in the US at the moment? Pretty astonishing as it's the worst selling in native Japan.

Still, considering the PS4 and X1 are right round the corner, you'd hope Reggie and his minions would be doing more to sway more to buy into the Wii U before it's completely overshadowed. When the uproar of the X1 caused a sudden rising in Wii U sales, you'd have Reggie would've jumped at the chance, but they still remained very quiet during the whole period.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Terramax said:
Baldr said:
Wii U is the best selling console in the US at the moment? Pretty astonishing as it's the worst selling in native Japan.
I think he's referring to the 3DS, which has been selling a metric shitton of units, especially after Pokemon came out. Even with the WiiU not doing all that hot, their sales with the 3DS is more than enough for them to turn a profit.

Look, it's easy to say things are all doom and gloom for Nintendo when you look at WiiU sales, but then you're missing out on the whole picture. Nintendo has always made tons of money off of handhelds, and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
ohnoitsabear said:
Look, it's easy to say things are all doom and gloom for Nintendo when you look at WiiU sales, but then you're missing out on the whole picture. Nintendo has always made tons of money off of handhelds, and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.
Not to mention that Nintendo is hardly even trying with the WiiU at the moment, but, then again, they really didn't do much with the Wii either after 2008.

OT: If I remember correctly, Reggie wasn't the best when it came to PR. His boasting and comments tended to get the better of him, sometimes even leading to insulting Nintendo's own products (as he did with Super Mario Sunshine in implying it wasn't a real Mario game). It's probably something Nintendo has done to avoid any more bad publicity coming from him. If you notice, he's not the only one who's become unusually quiet the last couple of years. Bobby Kotick doesn't get anywhere near as much publicity as he used to, and I can't imagine that isn't due to how horrible reactions to him were.

Then again, journalists likely get bored after a while of reporting the same stuff over and over again. Maybe Reggie just isn't as newsworthy as he used to be, so anything he has to say doesn't get to us as much as it used to. Knowing him, I doubt he's not at least using Twitter to make his voice heard (don't follow Twitter so I wouldn't know how active he is).

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
ohnoitsabear said:
Terramax said:
Baldr said:
I think he's referring to the 3DS, which has been selling a metric shitton of units, especially after Pokemon came out. Even with the WiiU not doing all that hot, their sales with the 3DS is more than enough for them to turn a profit.

I'm not missing the full picture. I'm fully aware of how well the 3DS is doing. Actually, you're not seeing the full picture here. Not all of us live in the US, so we don't all know precisely what console you're talking about when you mentioned the best selling.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Desert Punk said:
ohnoitsabear said:
Terramax said:
Baldr said:

Didnt they post a overall loss even with how well the 3ds is doing just recently?

But yeah, they are really a much better handheld company, it is really quite surprising to me that they havent packed it in on the first party console hardware, seems like they could post much better profits just selling their console games on other consoles without the loss they sell their consoles at, while churning out the handhelds that they dominate the market with.

Edit; good. Ol Reggie always struck me as an idiot.
iirc their previous quarter they posted a loss but are still running a profit for the year so far.