Reggie: Nintendo Doesn't Enjoy Making Mature Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Reggie: Nintendo Doesn't Enjoy Making Mature Games

Reggie Fils-Aime says Nintendon't make mature games because it has absolutely no desire to do so.

The Nintendo Wii has plenty of kid-friendly titles available that the entire family can enjoy for hours upon hours of arm-waggling fun, but why hasn't Nintendo embraced any segment of a more mature audience? Nintendo bigwig Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV that, despite wanting to appeal to as many consumers as possible, Nintendo simply doesn't do mature.

However, Reggie doesn't want anyone to think that Nintendo has no desire for the Wii to appeal to Mario fans and Madworld fans alike. "It's a priority for us bringing a range of entertainment," he said. "It's a priority for us to have a range of third-party licensees see success on the platform, and it's a priority for us to make sure that
every consumer has content that they're going to enjoy."

There is a snag when it comes to Nintendo actually creating mature content like one would easily find in triple-A form on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. "The challenge for us is that we ourselves, Nintendo, don't create that type of content. We're not experts at it, our developers don't particularly enjoy making that type of content. They probably could make stellar content if they chose to; we choose to do something else." It looks like the most violent game we'll ever see out of Nintendo will be Smash Bros.

Still, Nintendo encourages third-parties to make a niche for themselves on the Wii, if they can. "It really is up to the third party developer to create that great content and bring it to life on our platform. There have been some tremendous successes: Resident Evil and that franchise has done exceptionally well. I'd say that while there have also maybe not been commercial successes, the products have been stellar: Grand Theft Auto on the DS is an example."

To all the Wii owners out there that want more mature titles, Reggis has some advice: "What we want to do is continue to encourage that type of development, and candidly, also encourage those consumers who have been saying 'Hey, Nintendo, where is this content' to go out there and buy it and support it. I can lay out a tremendous amount of games that are of high quality that have gone largely ignored by the very consumers that are asking for them."

He's right, and the question I ask is: Why? Resident Evil sells because it's Resident Evil most likely, but why has virtually every other mature title gone ignored by Wii owners? For that matter, why do most unique Wii titles that aren't developed by Nintendo have trouble selling on the Wii? Are consumers afraid due to the glut of complete garbage that has saturated the Wii market, or is it something else?

Source: MTV [http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/494054/nintendo-prez-on-mature-titles.jhtml]

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Nintendo doesn't need to make ultra gore and sex games to survive in a market that practically demands it. That what makes the big N the greatest gaming company ever.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
The problem is most of the wii's games are garbage.

it does not matter the rating

Edit
Georgie_Leech said:
My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...
At least im not the only person who knows of that little gem from the gamecube. for mentioning it you get a cookie.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I would gladly buy more games for the Wii if I had the cash. I'd think most people who don't have one either think it's for kids (wrong) or the library is full of shovelware (not wrong). It's worth the decent amount good titles on the system, but most people probably don't care.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
What is with Mister Fils-Aime making these obvious comments recently?

Captain Obvious to the rescue, to make your day even more obvious.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
What is with Mister Fils-Aime making these obvious comments recently?

Captain Obvious to the rescue, to make your day even more obvious.
Actually I think the biggest shock is that the man is talking sense himself.

I don't think Nintendo should do mature, it'd be like Disney making a slasher movie. They're fine with what they do. Like the Mario & Luigi series. I'm currently playing it, and there's plenty of jokes for people my age and older. Like Fawful with his "badly translated" blurbs: "A winner is you!".

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
And I hope Nintendo never changes.

Because even without the blood, sex and ultra-graphics, Nintendo still makes some of the most fun games out there.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
Edit
Georgie_Leech said:
At least im not the only person who knows of that little gem from the gamecube. for mentioning it you get a cookie.
I'm pretty sure everyone on here will know it, particularly since it was mentioned in the Zero Punctuation review for Too Human... but yeah, my brother owned it (for my Gamecube, er, yeah.) and he loved it, but I never got around to playing it.

So... Reggie. Thanks for telling us what we already knew, I guess, but at least he's encouraging other developers to make them rather than just allowing it to be all family-friendly mulch.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I pretty much already knew that Nintendo as a company focused on games which can appeal to everyone, or are 'child friendly' (I should point out I feel this term doesn't quite fit with what I mean but is likely the closest approximation).

However it would have been nice too have mention of why Nintendo like making shovelware so much, I hate to be that guy but when I read this my mind tends to wander towards the increasing amount of shite I see being released.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I looked at my ps3 titles just now and noticed I only have 2-T games and only one E game. (Little Big Planet!)
I have lots of little nieces and nephews that like to come to Uncle Thor's house to play videogames (and d&d miniatures) pretty much the ONLY reason I've kept the wii is because of them and i can actually find decent games that are E or a 'soft' T fairly easily.

cmstewart87

Requirer of MORE Supply Depots
Feb 18, 2010
Georgie_Leech said:
Oh god yes. Eternal Darkness was and still is one of my favorite games of all time.

Interference

Feb 14, 2010
Games don't have to feature violence and sex to be mature. I'd be interested to see Nintendo make a mature game, namely one that an adult gets something from that kids don't. To use the movie industry as a comparison, if Nintendo made films I'd want a 2001: A Space Odyssey from them rather than an Aliens.

Feb 4, 2010
Booze Zombie said:
If they're not going to make "mature" games, they can enjoy a lack of "mature" customers.
I love what Nintendo makes. In fact they may well be my favorite developer in the business. I love "mature" games as much as anyone else but the only time that's the selling point is with games like God of War. The obsession with "mature" titles this generation really turned me off to gaming for a while; it's why I didn't get a current-gen system until last year.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
If they're not going to make "mature" games, they can enjoy a lack of "mature" customers.
because everyone knows that "Mature" means appropriate for "Mature" people.

I honestly enjoy Teen rated games more than Mature rated games. It's mostly kids that are more attached to that little M on the box. M doesn't stand for quality ya know.

Sony has it right: in house they have God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. They make quality games for both "Teen" and "Mature" audiences.

but they also have the advantage of having Third party developers wanting to make games for them. devs seem to not really enjoy making games for Wii...

I'd love a Q rating. Rated Q for quality.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
I love what Nintendo makes. In fact they may well be my favorite developer in the business. I love "mature" games as much as anyone else but the only time that's the selling point is with games like God of War. The obsession with "mature" titles this generation really turned me off to gaming for a while; it's why I didn't get a current-gen system until last year.
I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo game in a good long while.
It's all very stale to me.

orangeapples said:
Sony has it right: in house they have God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. They make quality games for both "Teen" and "Mature" audiences.

but they also have the advantage of having Third party developers wanting to make games for them. devs seem to not really enjoy making games for Wii...

I'd love a Q rating. Rated Q for quality.
That's what I mean, though, if Nintendo will not support a market then they will not have that market.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Nintendo has not cowtowed to the hardcore crowd whining about "lack of blood and titties" in their library of games and that has brought them major success over the years and that's what they should stick to.