Reliable Source: Death to Dwarves

pitasgame

Sep 22, 2009
That was very entertaining and sooo funny!! I could picture it all so clearly.
I actually learned D&D from my father who still had game nights with his friends when I was 10 years old. I would sit quietly in the living room when I went to spend weekends at his house and listen to the wonderful, complex world that was being played out in the kitchen by the adults.
Eventually he taught me to play and I soon found my own groups to play in. Of course the first group I was in, I was the only girl and it always helped when the DM had a huge crush on me...amazing what I got away with ;)

Thanks for the memories your great narative brought back!

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
My dad introduced us to D&D when I was 9 years old. It was a friday night in 1986, not too long after my parents divorce, and he was looking for things for the three of us to do together. He'd pick us up from school and take us over to his place, a tiny one bedroom cabin deep in the woods. By day, my brother and I would have adventure in those woods, but after dinner, out would come the 8x11 red box.

My dad was the DM, and he always played a drunken Hobbit. I was the cleric and my brother was a fighter.

This is nostalgia week for me.

EDIT: holy shit, ninja'd! I can't believe it!

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
Doh! In one game when I Dmed for the family, one of my brothers threw the Dwarf of the party out of a tower window. Fortunately the party hadn't even gone up the stairs, so the Dwarf was thrown out the first floor window. Unfortunately Pops played the Dwarf...(What is it with dads and Dwarfs?) lets just say at the end that its been decades since we all played D&D together.

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
The article was funny, but I'm going to take it as fiction as it's far too fantastical (and filled with movie clichés) to be true.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
If this is all real and not a joke (Seriously marion please answer this) you sir have the most interesting life I've ever heard of. Greatly enjoyed the article, reminds me of when I was invited to my friends last week to play their own table top game. Which my friend's dad made with his friends in the late 80's (They pass it down now), it ended up with us burning down the entire north mountains, to find the quest item.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
*Martin* Sheen, no?

Anyway, that made me miss tabletop gaming. Yes, I played D&D with Dad one time too to prove it wasn't Satan worship. I'm pretty sure he was human fighter.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Pretty fun. Next time, you better let your dad play the role of the leader ;d

Visulth said:
Just a question about D&D; can you only die once, or is there a way to respawn?
Depends on the DM. If your party can afford to resurrect you (5 thousand gold pieces in diamond dust, a cleric who can cast Raise Dead, a scroll of Raise Dead which is more expensive and someone to read it, or a temple where priests can resurrect you for a fee, big fee), then yeah. But if the DM is nice, he may let you create another character to fill the gap.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
This campaign reminds me of a typical DnD night for my buddies and me. The innocents won't survive, something will always blow up or get burnt down, and everything that can be looted will be looted.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Man, your father kicks ass. I hope to never find myself on the other side of a table from him.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Apocalypse Now reference at the end = win.

I'm not all that fond of these Reliable Sources, though.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Your dad's awesome. Kudos to him for throwing in for something he's never done before, and for roleplaying to the hilt.

Also, ouch.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Visulth said:
Just a question about D&D; can you only die once, or is there a way to respawn?
There is a long complicated resurrection ritual that takes several days and you don't start out knowing it.

Otherwise, no you just die.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
hURR dURR dERP said:
Marion Cox said:
I suppose that next session I'll be playing Charlie Sheen the Elven ranger sent out to end his madness.
Wasnt it Marten Sheen in that movie?

OT: This was funny as hell, I take it you didnt invite him back for another game?

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
If Marion was referring to Charlie Sheen in the two Hot SHots movie, the great Topper Harley, then yeah, he was right.
Other than that, I don't see how it could be anything else than Martin Sheen...

And great story! I recently got back to playing an old pen and paper Lord of The Rings game with a bunch of friends... I was the rustiest DM you've ever seen, if there ever was one.

burntham77

Nov 19, 2009
"Eventually, he conned his into mother buying him the Dungeon Master's Guide, because it would enhance his reading comprehension skills."

Such are the mountain of half-truths we told our parents to get what we wanted.