Reliable Source: Guns Don?t Kill People, Violent Videogames Do

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
So much ridiculous stuff has been in these articles that I really don't know how much is true and how much is false. The title of the article series would lead me to believe its all bull but I keep thinking it must all be true because you can't lie on the internet, you'll get banned.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Naeo said:
Kalezian said:
technically, guns nor video games kill people, people that have guns and possibly have been drinking kill people.

beyond that, why not just set up a bear trap outside your door, next to it put a sign saying "bear trap is to keep bear inside apartment only!", that would screw with some would be thieves!
I'm gonna quibble on this and say it's actually bullets that kill people, not guns or people with guns.
Well then I'm going to quibble with this and say it's actually blood loss and trauma that kill people, not guns, people with guns, nor bullets.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
I'm all for a gun for home defence. Biggest thing is make sure its properly secured for exactly that reason.... Well I don't think you can assume that dad will try to kill you comming through the door, but the reasoning stands anyways

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Jaredin said:
AK-47...for all your defense needs lol
Gene-pool cleansing too!

*dons a bad moustache and an even worse accent.*

I have come to clean ze pool. With fire.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, Guns don't kill people, CRAZY people WITH guns kill people. Seriously, what does this have to do with videogamges? Less about them and more about crazy people with mental instability, in which case I must ask, why would you give said person a firearm? Secondly, again, what does that have to do with videogames exactly?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I remember a big fat commie that exploded and attracted other reds by the spray of his guts. War is hell, son, and a shotgun might be your only friend."
So just like insects commies are attracted by the smell of there dead?, You learn something new everyday!.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Marion Cox said:

Marion learns why games, guns, and crazy dads don?t mix.

Read Full Article
"Due to the draconic 24 hour waiting period, I couldn't bring it home with me that day."

I am sorry, but I am going to have to call BS on this one. You need a Firearm Owners Identification Document- or FOID for short- to own a gun in Illinois, period, no exceptions. It takes roughly 30 days or more to get one.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/09/17/illinois-state-police-unlawfully-delaying-firearms-owner-identification-foid-cards/

FYI, learnaboutguns.com is great in general for gun info.

Anyways, assuming you had never owned a gun before, you probably didn't have one, in which case, the wait for a FOID would far outstrip the actual waiting period to buy a gun. And of course, you would need a FOID before you could even *have* a gun at all.

Buying, selling, giving, loaning, or *possessing* a firearm without a FOID is a felony. In other words, it would have been a felony for him to give you a "loaner." Unless you had a FOID, which you probably didn't have if you never owned a gun before.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
RelexCryo said:
Marion Cox said:

Marion learns why games, guns, and crazy dads don?t mix.

Read Full Article
"Due to the draconic 24 hour waiting period, I couldn't bring it home with me that day."

I am sorry, but I am going to have to call BS on this one. You need a Firearm Owners Identification Document- or FOID for short- to own a gun in Illinois, period, no exceptions. It takes roughly 30 days or more to get one.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/09/17/illinois-state-police-unlawfully-delaying-firearms-owner-identification-foid-cards/

FYI, learnaboutguns.com is great in general for gun info.

Anyways, assuming you had never owned a gun before, you probably didn't have one, in which case, the wait for a FOID would far outstrip the actual waiting period to buy a gun. And of course, you would need a FOID before you could even *have* a gun at all.

Buying, selling, giving, loaning, or *possessing* a firearm without a FOID is a felony. In other words, it would have been a felony for him to give you a "loaner." Unless you had a FOID, which you probably didn't have if you never owned a gun before.
Yeah it BS. Cops would have been there in minutes.

That's BS to have to wait up to 30 days to buy a gun. Typical northern liberal commie state. Thank God I don't live there.

Hopefully the 2nd amendment gets incorporated so Illinois citizens can sue the hell out of those corrupted liberal politicians and get back their community from criminals.

I also wanted to add that gunshop don't loan firearms outside their property. They do loan firearms but only for use in their shooting range. You have to paid in full before leaving their property with a firearm.

It is true that most gunshop owners/clerks are jerks but they are far from racist. The vast majority of them are ex/current military or police officers and of different races.

There are quit a number of minority gun owners and that segment is growing at a rapid pace. For example: Ichiro Nagata a US Japanese American citizen teaching other Japanese how to shoot in his Texas ranch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Zaz28WE9M

Remember cops aren't bodyguards. You can't sue cops for failure to protect. In fact they don't have any obligation to protect you. They are there to maintain the general peace and enforce the law. Your own safety is by SCOTUS ruling in your own hands.

the_Butler

Apr 14, 2010
Marion Cox can be followed on Twitter, or if you prefer more traditional stalking methods, you can find him passed out drunk in The Public Library of Springfield every afternoon between 2 and 5pm.

I've been there three times this week! Which corner >.>

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
SnipErlite said:
May I quote?

"The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do," but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that." - Eddie Izzard

Also that was a great Reliable Source, the cleetus/banjo line cracked me up.
You can also run away from someone wielding a bat or a chair.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
benoitowns said:
If guns kill people, then its my 360 controller's fault Im not better at MW2.
AMEN.

OT: Great article, i love your style of writing, Marion. I read every column without fail

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
JonahNYC said:
SnipErlite said:
May I quote?

"The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do," but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that." - Eddie Izzard

Also that was a great Reliable Source, the cleetus/banjo line cracked me up.
You can also run away from someone wielding a bat or a chair.
Explain this to me: How does banning guns keep them out of the hands of criminals? Banning alchohol didn't work. Banning drugs hasn't worked. So how does banning guns keep them out of the hands of criminals? Gun control doesn't even increase the time criminals spend in jail, thanks to a practice called concurrent sentences. And if you did want to increase the amount of time criminals spend in jail, you could just increase the sentence for Armed robbery, assault, and murder, and get the same effect. Morever, you could combine that effect with the reduction in crime that comes from letting law abiding, sane adults own and carry guns.

In 2000, Michigan passed laws allowing citizens to carry guns in every city. the crime rate immediately fell, and it continued to get lower.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm

The Brady Campaign graded New England on gun control, awarding a high ranking to states that had lots of gun control, and a low ranking to states that had little gun control. But the actual crime rates were almost a total inversion of the rankings the Brady Campaign gave. Essentially, the states with the highest ranking had the worst crime.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=195&issue=011

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2010/02/26/bang-bang-youre-safe.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wizbang+%28Wizbang%29

lastly, the crime rate for the United States actually got lower after 2000- It got lower *despite* the recession- as more states let law abiding, sane adults own and carry guns. In 2008, the crime rate hit the lowest it had been in 28 years.

I agree with Liberals on many, many things. I support gay marriage, clean renewbale energy, throwing corrupt corporate executives in prison, and legalizing marijuana. But I don't support gun bans, as the math simply has not supported it.