Reliable Source: Hardcore Gamer Nearly Killed by Casual Gaming

Marion Cox

Sep 29, 2009
Reliable Source: Hardcore Gamer Nearly Killed by Casual Gaming

Marion survives GDC, and has a few choice words about motion controllers.

Read Full Article

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Cleanthes said:
Marion Cox said:
scheunefreund
Do you mean schadenfreude? It means taking pleasure in someone else's pain/misfortune/failure. It fits the context, anyway.
Judging from the text around it, it's most likely the word he was looking for.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Irridium said:
If you do find Greg, video tape the fight and put it on youtube.

Please.
That would definetly put some hilarity into my day seeing that =D

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
entertaining read.

I hope you start doing some regular exercises Marion, sounds reads like you could use it (I know i could)

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
That was another amazing article, always look forward to reading these, definitely gave me something to laugh before I have to go to work

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
psrdirector said:
that article makes it seem you need to exersise some more.
No kidding. "I had a brief period of light physical activity, and then I blacked out."

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
So, um, casual games made you flail around like an idiot until you passed out and got shoved in a broom closet? Hmmm.

That reminds me, does anyone recall "Duck Hunt"? One of the earliest, more simplistic motion style game that was for the Super Nintendo. It was fun, because you weren't "flailing about" or trying to wave your arms in the air or some shit like that. It was a hunting game (a game with a gun, which is roughly 60% of games now-a-days) where you used a gun controller to shoot ducks and have your dog retrieve them *do NOT shoot the dog!*. We need more motion control systems trying to go that way, only advancing it with better graphics, better control of the character, and obviously, better enemies.

I guess I just realized the political fallout that would ensue if someone made a gun-shaped looking controller to use in a shooting game, in which games are portrayed as "children's toys". Fox News would immediately try to say that the video game companies are trying to teach children to use guns and train them to be serial killer or something like that.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
Well, at least they left you inside instead of shoving you out the nearest window. Maybe there were too many bodies out there already.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
So, um, casual games made you flail around like an idiot until you passed out and got shoved in a broom closet? Hmmm.

That reminds me, does anyone recall "Duck Hunt"? One of the earliest, more simplistic motion style game that was for the Super Nintendo. It was fun, because you weren't "flailing about" or trying to wave your arms in the air or some shit like that. It was a hunting game (a game with a gun, which is roughly 60% of games now-a-days) where you used a gun controller to shoot ducks and have your dog retrieve them *do NOT shoot the dog!*. We need more motion control systems trying to go that way, only advancing it with better graphics, better control of the character, and obviously, better enemies.

I guess I just realized the political fallout that would ensue if someone made a gun-shaped looking controller to use in a shooting game, in which games are portrayed as "children's toys". Fox News would immediately try to say that the video game companies are trying to teach children to use guns and train them to be serial killer or something like that.

Beyond that, I miss the light gun controller and the Point Blank games...