Reliable Source: Hardcore Gamer Nearly Killed by Casual Gaming

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
[quote="Deathfish15" post="6.181985.5398243"
That reminds me, does anyone recall "Duck Hunt"? One of the earliest, more simplistic motion style game that was for the Super Nintendo. [/quote]

That was for the Regular NES. Nothing super about 8bit. Wasn't until 16bit did things go CRA-ZAY! ;)

fun-with-a-gun

Jul 30, 2009
Marion said:
Instead of Milo, Microsoft has been shilling a game called Breakout, where you smack balls into boxes. A less mature writer would probably make a joke there. I, however, will take the high road and just say that, as simple as it sounds, there is a certain amount of pleasure to be had from watching people flail around like an epileptic at a disco. I think the Germans have a word for that even, isn't it scheunefreund? [Ed. Note: Scheunefreund roughly translates into Barn Friend. I don't get it either.]
I think that Scheunefreund would be his attempt at making an immature joke... Knocking balls into boxes... "Barn Friend"... do I need to spell it out?

Banaticus

Jan 26, 2008
there is a certain amount of pleasure to be had from watching people flail around like an epileptic at a disco. I think the Germans have a word for that even, isn't it scheunefreund?
He must have meant schadenfreude -- joy in the misery of others.

Also, there are motion control guns being made. http://www.techchee.com/2008/01/09/cta-digitals-insane-wii-weapons/

HermantheGerman

Mar 21, 2010
Ok, let me clear up that blunder with the German word in the text.

You are indeed looking for "Schadenfreude".

Barn friend would be Scheunenfreund - mind the 'n'. Still doen't make sense in this context.

Or maybe you wanted to make a joke by willingly screwing up the reference? In this case ... well, I don't get it. ;-)

Bottom line: if you wanna leave it at that at least insert the 'n' and meticulous bastards like me with too much time on their hands can call it a day.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Scheunenfreude... Good one. It actually fits if you got the right shed and clumsy friends.
Great article though. 'Want a pez man?' cracked me up.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
And this is why my Wii is used for SSBB and nothing else. Hell, I haven't even opened the Wii Sports that came with it for fear of virtual sporting injury!

HermantheGerman

Mar 21, 2010
tzimize said:
hehe...the people trying to correct his german ARE missing out on a joke.
Am I missing out on a joke if I correct your English?

And I acknowledged that the wrong usage may be intended but even then the wrong word is spelled wrong. I guess the point is that the editor says that he doesn't get it either, implying that there's nothing to get while in fact there would be had the author used the right word. So I don't see how the joke works really.
(Would be grateful for an explanation though if I should be missing something.)

Greets

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
HermantheGerman said:
tzimize said:
hehe...the people trying to correct his german ARE missing out on a joke.
Am I missing out on a joke if I correct your English?

And I acknowledged that the wrong usage may be intended but even then the wrong word is spelled wrong. I guess the point is that the editor says that he doesn't get it either, implying that there's nothing to get while in fact there would be had the author used the right word. So I don't see how the joke works really.
(Would be grateful for an explanation though if I should be missing something.)

Greets
Marion misspells a word, the editor tries to take a stab at what he might be trying to get at and fails because Marion mangled his German so badly. The joke is that Marion Cox heard the word schadenfreude a while ago, can't remember the specifics because it's a foreign word and he's a drunk, and ends up spelling something that might be roughly translated as a badly-spelled nonsense word.

People then take the (admittedly weak) joke in an entirely farcical article as an honest mistake, and then try to offer spelling advice to a fictional character.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Archemetis said:
Beyond that, I miss the light gun controller and the Point Blank games...
I still go to the local arcade for Point Blank, always loved that game, always will.

The GEL

Mar 22, 2010
Gotta say, it makes me sad how much Nintendo utterly ruined the concept of Motion Control with the Wiimote. That thing is a poorly designed mess and flat-out NOT capable of actual motion control.

Motion Control is a good idea, one that could birth new genres, reinvent existing ones, and offer greater depth and complexity while simultaneously being quite intuitive. However, if anyone ever did it RIGHT, it would be much like the leap to 3D polygonal graphics. We need to remember that motion control has it's strengths as well as it's weaknesses and we can't forget that fact. Normal controllers should NEVER be phased out, but Motion Controls SHOULD be embraced.

But unfortunately, Nintendo fucked that all up with the Wiimote and now EVERYONE thinks THAT piece of shit is a Motion Controller. It's not. It's a Waggle controller. There's a difference. In Motion Control, HOW you move the controller alters in on-screen action. In Waggle control, the actions are pre-programmed and merely assigned to a motion. It's almost the OPPOSITE of motion control and...I'm sorry, I just don't have the energy right now to finish this. I've been screaming about how the Wii is the worst console Nintendo has ever made and has ruined Motion Control forever. Just know that I am sad. (Do note that the MotionPlus is another story and despite the Wii's gratuitous amounts of fail, it still manages to have afew good games on it)

That said, you can't entirely blame Motion Control for the fact that you fail! XD

HermantheGerman

Mar 21, 2010
Break said:
Marion misspells a word, the editor tries to take a stab at what he might be trying to get at and fails because Marion mangled his German so badly. The joke is that Marion Cox heard the word schadenfreude a while ago, can't remember the specifics because it's a foreign word and he's a drunk, and ends up spelling something that might be roughly translated as a badly-spelled nonsense word.

People then take the (admittedly weak) joke in an entirely farcical article as an honest mistake, and then try to offer spelling advice to a fictional character.
Mkay - I see what you're getting at.
Considering this explanation for the joke I think that the people who didn't get it and
offered spelling advice along with it tendered a testimony of their sanity.
Just saying. ;-)
Ok, moving along now. Thanks anyways.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
VanQQisH said:
Archemetis said:
Beyond that, I miss the light gun controller and the Point Blank games...
I still go to the local arcade for Point Blank, always loved that game, always will.
The last time I ever played it was when I was on holiday in Spain...
I must've been 13... Haven't seen it since...

hebdomad

May 21, 2008
I honestly don't think motion controllers will ever make any new genre of game. Unless the goal of the game is to make a complete fool of your self, but we have had DDR, and Singstar (karaoke) around for years before the Wii showed its ugly head.

Theses motion controllers are not for gamers, they are for the share holders and idiots...

If you want motion... go outside and kick a ball for real.

Jing the Bandit

Jan 4, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
So, um, casual games made you flail around like an idiot until you passed out and got shoved in a broom closet? Hmmm.

That reminds me, does anyone recall "Duck Hunt"? One of the earliest, more simplistic motion style game that was for the Super Nintendo. It was fun, because you weren't "flailing about" or trying to wave your arms in the air or some shit like that. It was a hunting game (a game with a gun, which is roughly 60% of games now-a-days) where you used a gun controller to shoot ducks and have your dog retrieve them *do NOT shoot the dog!*. We need more motion control systems trying to go that way, only advancing it with better graphics, better control of the character, and obviously, better enemies.

I guess I just realized the political fallout that would ensue if someone made a gun-shaped looking controller to use in a shooting game, in which games are portrayed as "children's toys". Fox News would immediately try to say that the video game companies are trying to teach children to use guns and train them to be serial killer or something like that.
DUCK HUNT IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE.
It was great with the gun controller.