Reliable Source: I Sometimes Shoplift From GameStop

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Ah, the ethical compass of youth appears to be spinning wildly, it seems.

Your mother was right, just in the wrong way....but I have read this is supposed to be fiction, and if so, then it's a well told tale, sir! If not...er....interesting.

EDIT: ma'am? He...she? I have read both above. Now quite confused.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I had a friend whose parents decided that Pokemon was the tool of the devil because of the whole evolution thing. So she gave all of her Pokemon stuff to me. Thank you, Satan.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Sonofadiddly said:
I had a friend whose parents decided that Pokemon was the tool of the devil because of the whole evolution thing. So she gave all of her Pokemon stuff to me. Thank you, Satan.
I had a friend in middle school that got Pokemon stuff the same way. I wonder how many similar stories like this exist? :)

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
SamElliot said:
Sonofadiddly said:
I had a friend in middle school that got Pokemon stuff the same way. I wonder how many similar stories like this exist? :)
Probably a lot wherever the Pentecostal community has settled in.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
I love parents who think any sort of media that doesn't directly reference Christ is developed and distributed by Satan. I've trolled online Christian support groups, reading horror stories about "evil" games written by oblivious parents and consisting mostly of poorly understood misinformation and hearsay. My favorite is the understanding that actual wands and ceremonial objects are used when playing Magic: The Gathering and the players must recite spells to invoke the power of demons whenever "summoning" a card into play. There are entire website dedicated to the evils of DnD.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/204/0204_10.asp

Favorite quote:

A retired police officer who lectures police groups on the occult said D & D is "...supposed to be a board game, but kids play it for life and death on the street."
Damn G, DnD straight gangsta, yo!

EDIT: I just found this too. It. Is. AWESOME.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Anterean

Feb 15, 2009
raunchysandwich said:
seems to me this article is a cry for help, because I can not begin to understand why she would steal MadWorld if she doesn't even have a Wii
But he has a Wii, a pink one [/articles/view/columns/reliable-source//7251-Reliable-Source-Being-a-Gamer-Gurrrl-is-hard]

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
The issue of how much parents should censor their children's media intake is ripe for debate, and I've thought about a lot, even now as I'm 26 and have no plans for children of my own. I grew up in the church, and most of the kids around me were closely monitored when it came to their entertainment. My parents weren't like that, though. My dad in particular always laughed at that. I remember when I was 16 he pointed out to me that the 2 most violent little boys we knew (they were 8) were also the ones most closely protected from watching anything violent by their parents.

I watched Friday the 13th and Pretty Woman when I was 7. I read a book meant for teenagers that was about sex when I was 9. My dad was the first to expose me to Mel Brooks, Monty Python and the Simpsons. None of that ever negatively affected me, so I'm not worried about kids playing "M" games (except that it means they get to invade Live chats!). That being said, I knew my mom disapproved of and worried about a lot of things I saw and read. When she found I had read that book about sex, she gave me a lecture and complained to the library. I think it is good for kids to know their parents care about what they're doing and seeing; it's one of those situations where a little parental resistance is good for kids. For example, I'm kind of appalled when I see parents bringing 7 or 8 year olds into R rated movies, but it wouldn't bother me a bit to know those kids watched that same movie on their own at home.

Anyway, funny, yet thought-provoking, article!

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
...You and your shoplifting are the reason my local stores don't keep games on the floor anymore.

Actually, I used to work at an Australian branch and (knowing my employers to be evil b*stards who condoned lying to nuns to make a sale) gleefully exposed my company's dubious ethics and practices to any customer who stood still long enough. Oddly, my sales stats went up because customers started seeking out 'the honest one'.

On the other hand, I had one woman yell 'Don't you dare judge me!' when I hesitated (with, I confess, raised eyebrows) as she came to buy GTA, Manhunt and The Suffering for her grotty little boy who didn't even reach my hip.

...it's tough working for evil. I'm convinced Gamestop is really Heaven's PR against Hell.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Sonofadiddly said:
SamElliot said:
Sonofadiddly said:
Probably a lot wherever the Pentecostal community has settled in.
Haha, great story about this for me. When I was younger, in 5 grade I think, this really religious lady at church gave my parents this cassette tape entitled "Pokemon Revealed".

I thought it was going to tell me all the secrets, and I'd be able to impress my friends at school. Turns out it was just some bullcrap about how Pokemon was the devil cause some could levitate...

I was disappointed to say the least, and luckily my parents also thought it was pretty dumb considering I went on to own Pokemon Yellow and then Silver.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Very good story. The part about running into someone you don't like and them asking you for advice is one of those priceless pieces of serendipity where you get a chance to get a little revenge for the past. I'm not for exposing kids to things they aren't old enough or mature enough for, but at least in Gil's case, the weight of responsibility falls squarely on his shoulders since he should have at least read the box. Good for you!

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
Pretty interesting, but what really bothered me is that you compared digital piracy to physically stealing something. When you download say, a video game, nobody nows you did it and nothing happened. All you did was take away a potential sale. Keyword potential.

Now, when you steal a physical copy of a game that means that you took it away from somebody else.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
stealing Madworld? Yeah, i guess you need to be really drunk to do just that.

I'm suprised the story didn't end with you stabbing your mother.

Professor Idle

Aug 21, 2009
raunchysandwich said:
she shoplifted from the bargain bin.

did you even read the article?
Ah, it's nice to see someone telling people off for not being observant enough, even when he fails to notice that Marion is a man.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Countless anonymous pirates steal games with a couple clicks.
But they don't, do they? Because theft is legally defined (here in Canada anyways) as depriving someone of their property. And piracy makes a copy; it doesn't take anything away.