Reliable Source: Internet addiction and Michael Bay

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
That was brilliant.
I loved the dark humor in the first part the most.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Page 3 does bring up a good point

What if "Platnuim Games" get mixed up with "Platnuim Hits"

I can smell the lawsuits :p

lewiswhitling

May 18, 2009
joe_dracos said:
"American scientists are already looking at FBT as a cure for other deviant childhood behavior such as hyperactivity (ADD), depression,..."

Huh... Its funny that the Escapist would risk a sever Defamation Lawsuit by publishing this statement.

1. ADD and Depression are not childhood ailments.
2. They are also not "Deviant behaviour", they are mood disorders.
3. While Clinical depression is a milder form of mood disorder, ADD can seriously effect a persons life if not treated. ADD can also cause a far worse mood disorder called Bipolar disorder (which is considered a fatal desease by most countries with proper medicare).

It is extremely prejugdicial (which is also considered illegal in most countries) to make such a claim in jest. Its like publishing racial slurs and expecting it to be "OK".

Would a fatal beating cure MS? Cause these deseases have WAY more incommon with MS then behavioral problems such as stealing or gang affiliation (which yes can point to behavioral problems).

I find it entirely offensive.
The whole thing is meant to be a humerous take on the way many people look at ailments such as gaming addiction and such.. of course depression isn't a behavioral disorder, but the fun of the article is meant to be about how people often perceive such ailments.

And no one is going to risk any kind of legal action with this. I think it's kinda taking reasonable complaining a little far.

Toasty

Aug 18, 2008
AeroZeppelinSevenfold said:
Just when I thought the Escapist couldn't get any better.

You guys throw this gem out at me. Great job.
Impressive!
Fatal Beating Therapy' was appreciated....:D

joe_dracos

Aug 8, 2009
lewiswhitling said:
The whole thing is meant to be a humerous take on the way many people look at ailments such as gaming addiction and such.. of course depression isn't a behavioral disorder, but the fun of the article is meant to be about how people often perceive such ailments.

And no one is going to risk any kind of legal action with this. I think it's kinda taking reasonable complaining a little far.
my complaint isn't about the entire article... though I am getting sick of hearing "Micheal Bay sucks" but thats something I tend to ignore. My problem is with the one line. That is the focus of my complaint. And while I'm not threatening legal action I know several people in the health community that will not take it as lightly as I have. I'm not suggesting that I consider this reaction light, its just 1 in 5 of the escapists readers are going to be afflicted with a mood disorder (it PLAGUES my family), while most will be minor and temporary, there still is several that are serious such as those I have mentioned.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Bullshit, it's well known the next Michael Bay movie will be ALF: Revenge of the Kittens.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Aside from his movie projects, Michael Bay has been contracted to ruin other more personal experiences like your first kiss and that time you and your dad went out fishing and he gave you your first beer.
"Um... Dad? I don't remember the tackle box exploding when we did that."

"No, but it would've been AWESOME!"

"Yeah, you're right! Hey, pass me a beer."

"Sure."

KABOOM

This has been a Michael Bay production.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Yeah, definitely checking this every time it comes out now. Well done wilson.

Although I still spend most days hoping against hope for another addition of Crazy Moderator Theatre.

tehroc said:
The scene: Early morning, quiet lake. Me and grampa in his boat, he shows me how to bait the hook. I look in awe as he makes a mighty cast, it sails through the air in slow motion. It hits the water with a violent explosion, water and flaming fish fly into the skies. Two Megan Fox's climb into the boat in slowmotion, specks of water glisten in their awesome cleavage, and begin to seduce gramps. A motorcycle jumps over the boat. The End.
No fighter planes involved?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Is this a new feature? I want to see more.

Armitage Shanks said:
Yeah, definitely checking this every time it comes out now. Well done wilson.

Although I still spend most days hoping against hope for another addition of Crazy Moderator Theatre.

tehroc said:
The scene: Early morning, quiet lake. Me and grampa in his boat, he shows me how to bait the hook. I look in awe as he makes a mighty cast, it sails through the air in slow motion. It hits the water with a violent explosion, water and flaming fish fly into the skies. Two Megan Fox's climb into the boat in slowmotion, specks of water glisten in their awesome cleavage, and begin to seduce gramps. A motorcycle jumps over the boat. The End.
No fighter planes involved?
You've got to save something for the sequel.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
joe_dracos said:
my complaint isn't about the entire article... though I am getting sick of hearing "Micheal Bay sucks" but thats something I tend to ignore. My problem is with the one line. That is the focus of my complaint. And while I'm not threatening legal action I know several people in the health community that will not take it as lightly as I have. I'm not suggesting that I consider this reaction light, its just 1 in 5 of the escapists readers are going to be afflicted with a mood disorder (it PLAGUES my family), while most will be minor and temporary, there still is several that are serious such as those I have mentioned.
I think you missed the point of this. This is slanted humor, it is parody. This is like The Escapist version of 'The Onion'. I think you are reading into this too much. It is not real news, it is done in jest.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I thought this was brilliant and I hope to see more of this. Also thanks for the tips on how to get women over to play Halo, and other Platinum Hits! (That's sarcasm, really...)

messy

Dec 3, 2008
That was genius, the line dead rising in an article in a game featuring erotic Japanese games did cause me to shudder just a little bit

joe_dracos

Aug 8, 2009
Monshroud said:
I think you missed the point of this. This is slanted humor, it is parody. This is like The Escapist version of 'The Onion'. I think you are reading into this too much. It is not real news, it is done in jest.
Or perhaps I didn't miss the point. I understand parody, unfortunately it is a popular belief that the deseas ADD and other mood disorders are behavioural disorders that can be cured that way. I just don't find it funny.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
joe_dracos said:
Monshroud said:
Or perhaps I didn't miss the point. I understand parody, unfortunately it is a popular belief that the deseas ADD and other mood disorders are behavioural disorders that can be cured that way. I just don't find it funny.
That's what is funny about this, is the fact that we know things like this can't be cured that way. No. . . I think you missed the point entirely, especially when you tell a publication that they could be risking a defamation lawsuit. Defation for what exactly? If you don't find humor in something like this, that is fine. Don't read it. Just don't go telling people they are wrong for laughing at it.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Well done, sir! That article was impressively humorous. I was, as the kids would say, "lolling".

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
joe_dracos said:
"American scientists are already looking at FBT as a cure for other deviant childhood behavior such as hyperactivity (ADD), depression,..."

Huh... Its funny that the Escapist would risk a sever Defamation Lawsuit by publishing this statement.

I find it entirely offensive.
Defamation: a communication from one person to at least one other that lowers or harms the reputation of an identifiable third person, where the communicator (the publisher) has no legal defence.

Key word highlighted for your convenience =]