Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
1337mokro said:
thaluikhain said:
1337mokro said:
Sneezeguard said:
I wonder if people lived there or if there's any historical records of them if they did that now's been taken for myth or legend.
No. It's estimated that it existed over 85 MILLION years ago. No humans were around then. No civilization was around at the time. The only thing that might be found there are rocks and possible a number of rare fossils if any.
Well, no humans people :)

Like how the Mediterranean drying up a few times 50 million years ago is supposedly the inspiration for Atlantis or whatever. According to someone.
Yes and that someone probably fell on their head because nobody knew about that until modern times and the legend of Atlantis is over 2000 years old written by Plato in 360 BC, who took inspiration from an older story by Solon in roughly 600 BC.
And isn't that what the lizard people would want you to think?

Seriously, though, IIRC Plato specifies the age of the city of Atlantis as some 50,000 years before he was writing, about 40,000 years before the first city was built anyway

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
thaluikhain said:
1337mokro said:
thaluikhain said:
1337mokro said:
Sneezeguard said:
I wonder if people lived there or if there's any historical records of them if they did that now's been taken for myth or legend.
No. It's estimated that it existed over 85 MILLION years ago. No humans were around then. No civilization was around at the time. The only thing that might be found there are rocks and possible a number of rare fossils if any.
Well, no humans people :)

Like how the Mediterranean drying up a few times 50 million years ago is supposedly the inspiration for Atlantis or whatever. According to someone.
Yes and that someone probably fell on their head because nobody knew about that until modern times and the legend of Atlantis is over 2000 years old written by Plato in 360 BC, who took inspiration from an older story by Solon in roughly 600 BC.
And isn't that what the lizard people would want you to think?

Seriously, though, IIRC Plato specifies the age of the city of Atlantis as some 50,000 years before he was writing, about 40,000 years before the first city was built anyway
Not lizard people, Dinosaur people. Big difference.

Dinosaur people would not stoop to such methods.

Also your argument is 50'000 years. The continent sank 85'000'000 years ago. Unless Plato left out that they were all merfolk they gonna have a hard time breathing.

Also the first city of what? Of which nation? Of which tribe? Of which civilization.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
1337mokro said:
Also your argument is 50'000 years. The continent sank 85'000'000 years ago. Unless Plato left out that they were all merfolk they gonna have a hard time breathing.
That was my point (well, was talking about the Med drying up, the last time being about 50 million years ago).

1337mokro said:
Also the first city of what? Of which nation? Of which tribe? Of which civilization.
IIRC, the first city ever to be built by humans was in the fertile crescent (maybe in Mesopotamia?) in what is now the Middle East, about 13,000BC. Depending on your definition of city, though.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
As a Mauritian (from Mauritius ;)), I'm a proud that my country is kinda being represented here, although I suppose as the bastard child (-cough- Island got formed thanks to some active (now dormant) volcano) of some now drowned micro continent.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
1337mokro said:
viranimus said:
In before ITS ATLANTIS!!!...
It's Atlant.... oh why did you go and ruin everyone's fun.

Sneezeguard said:
What part of "between 2,000 and 85 million years ago" did you read as "over 85 million years ago"?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
AC10 said:
At what point does an island become a microcontinent? Let's be honest, 3 times the size of Crete isn't very big. Crete is 8,336 square kilometers, three times that is 25,008 square kilometers. Roughly 1/4th the size of Cuba (109,884 square km), which doesn't hold "microcontient" status.
According to Wiki: "Continental crustal fragments, partially synonymous with microcontinents,[1] are fragments of continents that have been broken off from main continental masses forming distinct islands, often several hundred kilometers from their place of origin."

Oh, and funnily enough:

"Other microcontinents:

Barbados
Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and other granitic Caribbean islands
Kerguelen Plateau"
Ohhhh, that's kind of neat! So Cuba IS a microcontinent after all!
Castro, you sly devil!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
viranimus said:
ANNNNNND

The internet ninja hivemind strikes again.

I love the error bars.

"oh yeah it was totally above water 2000-85000000 years ago."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it was actually between 2,000,000,000 - 85,000,000 years ago

zzkill

Nov 12, 2012
Antonio Torrente said:
Oh great another conspiracy fuel for Hysteria Channel's Ancient Aliens. Wonder what kind of insane explanation they will use?
Aliens crashed there and the island sank? And the zircons are a byproduct of the impact, of course. Also, they might have tried to bring it back up to repair their mistake (or recover the ship, not too sure here), but it sank again, thus the legend of Atlantis. If you think about it, it's logical. If you really think about it, you'll go to sleep and forget this crap.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
1337mokro said:
viranimus said:

Sneezeguard said:
DINOSAUR PEOPLE. It was in fact a giant elevator built by dinosaurs, that used it to escape the meteor and make an underground society... Now we await, the journey to the centre of the earth!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
AC10 said:
At what point does an island become a microcontinent? Let's be honest, 3 times the size of Crete isn't very big. Crete is 8,336 square kilometers, three times that is 25,008 square kilometers. Roughly 1/4th the size of Cuba (109,884 square km), which doesn't hold "microcontient" status.
I thought that it was defined by tectonic plates or something like that rather than size. I'm talking out of my arse, so take that with a continent of salt.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
thaluikhain said:
1337mokro said:
That was my point (well, was talking about the Med drying up, the last time being about 50 million years ago).

1337mokro said:
IIRC, the first city ever to be built by humans was in the fertile crescent (maybe in Mesopotamia?) in what is now the Middle East, about 13,000BC. Depending on your definition of city, though.
I think you mean 5 million years ago. The Messinian Salinity Crisis. The Zanclean (I know awesome name right?) flood that eventually happened when the Gibraltar strait opened again roughly 5 mil years ago?

I was asking because you weren't specific. You could have been talking sci-fi for all I knew :D

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
LiMaSaRe said:
1337mokro said:
viranimus said:

Sneezeguard said:
What part of "between 2,000 and 85 million years ago" did you read as "over 85 million years ago"?
That is 2000 Million. You always put the Earliest date then the most Recent date. That is not intended to be 2000 years ago. So yes Over 85 million years, meaning between 85 million and 2 billion years ago.

Now yes the escapist fucked up and didn't just say 1.97 Billion like it did in the ACTUAL article that is linked in the escapist article.

Elate said:
1337mokro said:
viranimus said:

Sneezeguard said:
DINOSAUR PEOPLE. It was in fact a giant elevator built by dinosaurs, that used it to escape the meteor and make an underground society... Now we await, the journey to the centre of the earth!
Easy just press B1 on that dinosaur space elevator.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
zzkill said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Oh great another conspiracy fuel for Hysteria Channel's Ancient Aliens. Wonder what kind of insane explanation they will use?
Aliens crashed there and the island sank? And the zircons are a byproduct of the impact, of course. Also, they might have tried to bring it back up to repair their mistake (or recover the ship, not too sure here), but it sank again, thus the legend of Atlantis. If you think about it, it's logical. If you really think about it, you'll go to sleep and forget this crap.
You know I wouldn't be surprised if HC decided to hire you as one of their fanfic writers for the show.
Because that explanation makes some sense in Ancient Aliens kind of way.
Bonus points if Anime Hair guy uses your explanation enthusiastically.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Bet the Prince of Orange never expected him being honoured with an tiny island namesake would lead to an ancient continent being named after him as well, albeit a tiny one.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
uzo said:
Squilookle said:
You think anyone stood up and yelled in triumph:

AHA! ZIRCONS! I KNEW IT!
(OoO) *gasp*

Why would anyone celebrate the victory of the cruel Zircons over the peace-loving Mauritians, culminating in the destruction of their very land they walked ?

Wait ... wait ...

... you mean Zircons aren't aliens? Well shit who the hell named `em that. Don't go calling little hunks of rocks something that sounds like an intergalactic empire, damnit! I'm easily excitable !
Good idea.
I'll be adding Zircon to the list of possible names for my intergallactic empire.