Remains of the Day: Dead Space 2

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany

The game picks up three years after the catastrophic events of the first game which has left our hero, Isaac Clarke, unhinged. The game starts with a guy checking up on you seconds before transforming into a Necromorph before your eyes in a gory fashion. With a strait jacket strapped on, there's nothing you can do but run. This is a rather nice start to a game which promises to give scare and shocks.

[img_inline align="left" Caption="Ah Necros. As clingy as ever." width=250 height=150]http://thisismyjoystick.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dead_space_2-kid-necro1277071931.jpg[/img_inline]

But here's the thing, it's not horror. It's not your over-the-top horror which is reminiscent of Resident Evil 4. This game tries to be serious and at times it succeeds. More particularly when you're short on ammo and med-packs and a wave of Necromorphs is awaiting you. The sound issue is fixed this time around as a violin screech doesn't come on every single time a Necro decides to display itself, obscenely. They still haven't dropped the habit of dancing while coming at you. Although it's more traumatizing this time around. And with a introduction of some new types of Necros,the game ups the ante and forces you to move a little bit faster every time.

When you are killed by the Necros, the game does an animation sequence which shows how a Necro executes its victims. And it's rather disgusting to watch. So, your arsenal better be well equipped every time. And med-packs.[footnote]DO NOT FORGET TEH MED-PACKS![/footnote]

[img_inline width=250 height=150 align="right" Caption="Clever girl."]http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/thumb/0/04/Dead_Space_2_Necro_Stalker.jpg/350px-Dead_Space_2_Necro_Stalker.jpg[/img_inline]

The graphics are pretty good to look at. Here's the thing about this game, it uses the "shock&awe" mechanic. And here's another thing, after a while, shock gets to you and it becomes boring. But I am always at awe of the graphics. Specifically, the lighting effects. I'm never too objective about a video game's graphics but this game was really enjoyable to look at as well as play. But the hi-light of the horror/action show are the suits. They go Iron-Man style by having a helmet which packs itself neatly if Isaac ever feels the need to feel the breeze. Although, he does sometimes pick the wrong moments for such an action, one of which leads to a heart-thumping quick time event.

Objectively, this game is gorier this time around. The game takes advantage of the improved graphics engine, making blood as red as ever. And the damage done to the Necros satisfying to watch and the killing of Isaac[footnote]NOT A SPOILER I ASSURE YOU.[/footnote] done by the Necros as disgusting as ever.

The locations! Ah, the lovely locations of Dead Space 2. Ever so lovingly crafted to give you chills no matter at what time of day you happen to play! In all seriousness, the levels are vast this time around and it's a nice changes of pace from the claustrophobic corridors of the first game. The game map has also improved quite a lot. It's now a whole lot easier to keep track of where in the name of Altman you are running of to. This game occasionally employs Quick Time Events. They are smartly implemented and are fun to do. This mechanic doesn't over-stay it's welcome and makes for a good way to proceed forward in the game.

[img_inline align="left" width=350 height="200" Caption="I seeeee chuuu!!"]http://www.techolive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/dead-space3.jpg[/img_inline]

I, like many Dead Space players at the time, was sceptical when EA announced that Isaac Clarke, the protagonist of the Dead Space universe, will be allocated a voice. This seemed like a bad decision at the time 'cause I had grown fond of the grunting engineer turned mutant ass kicker. But I digress, 'cause the end result was a marvellous sequel with a tormented character which provided much-needed dialogue to the game and in turn, tension.

CONCLUSION:

One of the best examples of a sequel. And easily one my most favourite games to date. It excels in every situation and doesn't disappoint. It's either that or I had low expectations to begin with. In either case: APPROVED!

[sub]Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Remains-of-the-Day] for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it![/sub]

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
As always mDox, a very well done review.
Aside from the odd minor grammatical error, its very professional.

However, I have to disagree about the QTE's. Partly because my copy isn't behaving itself when it hits them, but mainly because I don't feel they add much if anything to the overall experience.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Eico said:
I always love reading the little bits of text with the images.

What?

>_>
With this I assume that captions are fun to read? 'cause otherwise you lost me. =P