Remains of the Day: Freedom Fighters

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I *love* this game. *ahem* Moving on!

The game is set in an alternate timeline in which the Soviet Union ends the WWII by dropping the first Atomic Bomb on Berlin. As a consequence, the USSR never collapses, but in fact proceeded to become the world superpower. Most of Asia, Middle East and South America came under the communist bloc. Now, they've sent an army to 'liberate' America from Capitalism.

Our protagonist is a plumber[footnote]Plumbers... plumbers everywhere. 0.0[/footnote] Christopher Stone. He and his brother, Troy, are travelling to meet their next client, an Anti-Communist activist, Isabella Angelina. When they arrive, they find the house abandoned. A few moments later, Soviet soldiers raid the place, led by General Tatarin, they seize Troy for being a suspect. Soon after the incident, the Soviet begins its attack on New York City. Chris escapes the building with the aid of a man named Mr. Jones and a resistance member, Phil. Soon after, they plan to rescue Isabella and succeed in doing so after raiding the police station and post office. Months later, Chris becomes known as the Freedom Phantom. The story, probably, at this point is clichéd with all Russian invasion trend and can be attributed to games like Modern Warfare 2 and Homefront for overdoing it. But believe me, this game wins in the story department. With it having an ending which offers a perfect close to the game and still leaving a place for a sequel.

[img_inline width=200 height=300 Caption="Chris! You look kinda pissed! o.o"]http://ui26.gamespot.com/1241/ffff_2.jpg[/img_inline]

Freedom Fighters is a third person shooter game, in which the player navigates the roads of New York, working along with fellow resistance members to sabotage key Soviet locations. The game is focused around squad-based mechanics, employing a charisma meter. Basically, the higher the charisma, the more people will follow under your command and fight beside you. In order to earn charisma, the player has to do perform deeds such as destroying a vital supply line or sabotaging key locations. You can have a maximum of 12 people under your command. Speaking of which, there are three commands you can give out to any of the recruits. "Follow", "attack", and "defend", but in most situations, they take care of themselves. Which is good, 'cause given the terrain of the levels, it's hard to keep track of all of 'em. However, in case they get injured, it's advisable to heal them with a first aid kit. Every man/woman is vital for victory.

The graphics? Well it's a game released in 2003. What do you think? In terms of that year and release, the graphics are amazing and even now, they've aged well enough for anyone to pick up and enjoy it. And soundtrack of the game is amazing. Composed by none other than Jesper Kyd, of Hitman and Assassins' Creed series fame, the songs are beautifully composed and they fit the mood really well. If you can find the soundtrack anywhere, do buy it. It's unbelievably good.

Speaking of which, the voice acting is also amazing. Kudos to IO Interactive for such a believable cast of villains and heroes.

Conclusion: In a dignified manner, I tell you that Freedom Fighters is an amazing shooter which should not be missed by anyone who even has the remotest interest in third person shooters. APPROVED.

[sub]Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Remains-of-the-Day] for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it![/sub]

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Remember split-screening this at my mates house when I was a kid, great fun 4 player!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I love you almost as much as I love this game. However I do think the review could have touched upon a few more points. For example, the map system that has many locations where the actions in one area affect the others surrounding it (destroying the main bridge in one area cuts off reinforcements, and blowing up the helipad stops you from getting peppered from copters in other areas) which are all navigated through the sewer system. Also, the multi-player component.

And, as re-playable as the game is (I've completed it like 8 or 9 times now, and after staring at the case while I type this, I might play it again) it's quite short. Though I guess this review is more about convincing people to play it, which is good because the game is amazing. This is the first of your reviews that I've seen.

I wish I got to play the multi-player with someone though. My friends weren't interested in the game and wanted to play other things. I'd play it over Hamachi on the PC if three other people were interested. :/

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Remember split-screening this at my mates house when I was a kid, great fun 4 player!
Boo! I'm actually jealous! I couldn't get anyone to play it with me then, and I definitely can't now! T_T

Makes you wonder why IO wasted their time with two Kane & Lynch games when they could have made a damn FF sequel. :<

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
I actually played Freedom Fighters earlier this year. It sucked ass. The gameplay is clunky and awkward and the story is forgettable nonsense.

By the way, why is it that the US fucking military can't beat the invaders, but a bunch of sewer-dwelling civilians can?

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
ChromeAlchemist said:
I love you almost as much as I love this game. However I do think the review could have touched upon a few more points. For example, the map system that has many locations where the actions in one area affect the others surrounding it (destroying the main bridge in one area cuts off reinforcements, and blowing up the helipad stops you from getting peppered from copters in other areas) which are all navigated through the sewer system. Also, the multi-player component.

And, as re-playable as the game is (I've completed it like 8 or 9 times now, and after staring at the case while I type this, I might play it again) it's quite short. Though I guess this review is more about convincing people to play it, which is good because the game is amazing. This is the first of your reviews that I've seen.

I wish I got to play the multi-player with someone though. My friends weren't interested in the game and wanted to play other things. I'd play it over Hamachi on the PC if three other people were interested. :/
A) True. I could've mentioned the maps. Infact... I should've! I'll get right on that!

B) I've been on a review hiatus for about 3 months now. I had lost the spark so to speak. =p

C) I didn't get to play multiplayer either. T.T You're not alone.
StealthMonkey43 said:
Very in-depth review, good job.
*bows* Thank you.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
andreas3K said:
I actually played Freedom Fighters earlier this year. It sucked ass. The gameplay is clunky and awkward and the story is forgettable nonsense.

By the way, why is it that the US fucking military can't beat the invaders, but a bunch of sewer-dwelling civilians can?
They aren't just any sewer-dwelling civilians. They're protagonists.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Valkyrie101 said:
They aren't just any sewer-dwelling civilians. They're protagonists.
Protagonists who have awesome fashion sense no doubt. =p

Plus, the Phantom look Chris later sports is awesome.