Remains of the Day: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Best of the 3 said:
I mainly remember running around the basement / underground (I think (unless that was the kitchen) where that girl would keep running in front of you and shit would fall over. My favourite horror, when you're scared shitless but there's nothing there.
I find it amusing that you enter mansion being a supernatural monster, bloody hunter lurking in darkness, boogeyman yadda, yadda, yadda... And still you're like "man, that's creepy". :)
I noticed that as well. TBH, though, I thought it was a bit jarring at first. Darkly light spaces are a classic of frightening games, but I don't think it makes sense to use them to frighten people playing as vampires. Grout's mansion, for example was creepy while being well lit. And the museum part...before I lose my temper and it becomes an action level instead of a stealth level (unless I had one of the disciplines which makes people stand still and leave me alone).

JesterRaiin said:
thaluikhain said:
Also, Nosferatu, IMHO, should be allowed to use seduction sometimes. On other nosferatu, for example. The very first time you'll probably use seduction is on a female vampire that has been having it of with a nosferatu as a major plot point anyway.
In World of Darkness Nosferatus are an apex of horrendousness. There are only a few more repulsive beings - at least in Vampire branch. So no Mr "smooth" for you. ;)

As for a major plot you mentioned. That's pretty good explanation i guess :
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Mask_of_a_thousand_faces
I thought she was just into that sort of thing as a way of rebellion.

And surely another Nosferatu, that looks the same and is likewise shunned by everyone who isn't also a Nosferatu is going to be more open to being seduced by Nosferatu?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Though being able to name all the ghost powers being used probably helped (Embody, Outrage, Argos, and probably Phantasm or Pandemonium), since I've played Wraith: The Oblivion.
I neither liked nor played WoD's "ghosty" branch, so for me it was rather disturbing experience. I didn't know what ghosts are capable of and no Discipline i could use seemed to match circumstances.

Most of time i was just running and avoiding confrontation. ;)

thaluikhain said:
Darkly light spaces are a classic of frightening games, but I don't think it makes sense to use them to frighten people playing as vampires.
Truth - but only to some degree. Despite what vampire grandpas tell their grandchildren, vampires aren't at the top of foodchain. There's always something "faster, stronger, meaner", impervious to mind tricks and somehow undetectable. And it could be right behind you. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ! ;)

JesterRaiin said:
thaluikhain said:
I thought she was just into that sort of thing as a way of rebellion.
And surely another Nosferatu, that looks the same and is likewise shunned by everyone who isn't also a Nosferatu is going to be more open to being seduced by Nosferatu?
Hhhhhmmmm... You wake up some day (night actually) and realize that you're now nothing short of monster, a parody of human. I don't think it means that your standards are immediately lowered to the point you are willing to seduce other monsters. You're still yourself but now your appearance is that of horrible abomination.

And as for older Nosferatus - i think they don't even care about companionship. Then again - it's your World of Darkness.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
thaluikhain said:
Darkly light spaces are a classic of frightening games, but I don't think it makes sense to use them to frighten people playing as vampires.
Truth - but only to some degree. Despite what vampire grandpas tell their grandchildren, vampires aren't at the top of foodchain. There's always something "faster, stronger, meaner", impervious to mind tricks and somehow undetectable. And it could be right behind you. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ! ;)
I agree completely, there's all sorts of things vampires should be afraid of, just not the dark. IIRC, that was the only level to use poor lighting to make things scarier, instead of layout, creepy noise or fucked up dialogue ("little morsel" comes to mind).

[small]Though, for me, the creepiest bit was probably the end of the "Gone Fishin'" mission, which up till then was very wacky and silly...until you have the dialogue option "Wow! I bet you're glad that thing didn't have tentacles" totally changes the tone. "The monster that ate your family might have raped you, little underaged girl all alone in a foreign city, lol". Yeah...[/small]

JesterRaiin said:
Hhhhhmmmm... You wake up some day (night actually) and realize that you're now nothing short of monster, a parody of human. I don't think it means that your standards are immediately lowered to the point you are willing to seduce other monsters. You're still yourself but now your appearance is that of horrible abomination.

And as for older Nosferatus - i think they don't even care about companionship. Then again - it's your World of Darkness.
Fair enough, though I'd think once you adapted things would change.

[small]Also, in the game, Gary didn't looke that bad...he was very creepy (especially as it seems alot of his more fucked up dialogue is reserved for female characters...he doesn't just hate all non-Nosferatus or Camarilla, he hates you in particular for being a woman), but the model wasn't. Imalia was almost fetish fuel.[/small]

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Fair enough, though I'd think once you adapted things would change.
For some - no doubtly. Then again, it's all about personal vision.

Back in old days when Paul Beakley released his "Jail of Night" WoD/KULT crossover someone suggested that there are no accidental Embraces. During this process some traits were expanded, exposed, magnified but not acquired. Embrace was meant also to be some sort of wall halting all evolution of character. So, from his second birth a vampire was condemned to stay exactly the same as he/she was in life - only more extreme.

So, no, you shouldn't adapt and switch to hideousness after becoming Nosferatu. You either was quite kinky before, or you weren't and you don't become "troo fan" of bestiality. :)
Despite being flawed, i like this idea, since it explains problem of Vampires typicalness and low adaption to changing times. :)

...then again... ;)

thaluikhain said:
[small]Also, in the game, Gary didn't looke that bad...he was very creepy (especially as it seems alot of his more fucked up dialogue is reserved for female characters...he doesn't just hate all non-Nosferatus or Camarilla, he hates you in particular for being a woman), but the model wasn't. Imalia was almost fetish fuel.[/small]
Let's be blunt - at least one V:BL designer had to struggle with personal demons at times of creation. No doubtly, since sex, or rather "dark sex" is predominant in this little masterpiece. :)

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
I remember playing through this game a couple years back, a couple times. It was entirely entertaining and a lot of fun. I've been debating about picking it up again for nostalgia, but there's just so much new stuff that I'm not sure I would have time. I barely have time to actually go to any of my classes as it is, and the threat of D3, Skyrim and ToR before the end of the year is just terrifying.

Great game though, seriously, 100% recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

Feb 13, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
It's worth mentioning that a Malkavian is not ideal for an initial play through. I'm about three hours in with one and I'm having to restart because it's nigh on impossible to follow the story, it's bad enough even decoding your dialogue options!
NO, YOU STOP!

[sub]Malkavian is wonderful. You just have to think sideways :)[/sub]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't understand how you all find the Malk dialogue difficult to translate. It's all just WORDPLAY! It's like English English!
But I must say it's one of the best games I've ever played, and I go Malkavian everytime.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
JesterRaiin said:
I find it amusing that you enter mansion being a supernatural monster, bloody hunter lurking in darkness, boogeyman yadda, yadda, yadda... And still you're like "man, that's creepy". :)
My favourite moment was when I was raiding the crack den filled full of pseudo-zombies, I pulled out my shotgun and shot a bunch before retreating into a corner and firing my glock. As I ran dry on both, I was like "wait a minute...I'm a motherfreakin' Gangrel" and grew claws and tore them apart.