Remake an old game with this gen's technology. What do you go for?

ahluka

Jan 1, 2010
Hmm. The original Syphon Filter on the PS1 is what popped into my head first for some reason, although on second thought it probably wouldn't be that good; it was pretty much just a bog-standard 3rd person shooter after all.

The rose-tinted glasses of youth ftw.

May 20, 2009
Horny Ico said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
I'm perfectly happy with the combat, it was one of my favorite things about the game, so I wouldn't want them to touch it. As for the story...short of removing Vaan altogether, there's nothing they could really do to improve it. It was fine. It certainly didn't seem "ruined", it was as good as any other FF story, which are all admittedly pretty bad anyway. But that's what I expect from a FF game, and a great story would feel out of place.

As for the Ico Collection, has it been confirmed for the US, and do we know how much tinkering they're doing with the graphics? Ico doesn't need work because it had a simple art style anyway, but SotC needs a ton of work.
Don't get me wrong, I called FF12's combat ground-breaking for a reason. But despite how dumb they are, Final Fanatics sometimes conjure legitimate complaints, like the lack of direct control. Ideally, Gambits would automatically be disabled for the party leader, no matter who you choose. That's really the only major flaw in that regard, though. As for the story, I'd feel the same as you if the lead director had a standard FF story in mind to begin with. But no, he was denied the chance to maintain his higher standards and that's just sad. Not that I like to dwell on what could have been, (Because FF12 upped the story standard anyway.) but I am a perfectionist.
ManueleunaM said:
Oh yeah those. But who said I wanted a remake of 2 and 3 in the crappy 4 engine?

The problem is that Gamecube isn't this gen's material. Also, I despise Resident Evil 4 and 5 and their crappy action game style so the remakes of 2 and 3 are gonna be trash for me. Thanks for the bad news -__-
Ever heard of optimism? Start thinking of it like this:
Jack Denman said:
Resident evil 2 would be a cool remake if they did it right: RE4 Gameplay More Horror Less Bullets ad fire power more zombies meaning...USE THE KNIFE YOU FOOLS!
I'm more in touch with reality and I am less affected by positive illusions of control and optimism bias. I'm not a negative person, it's just that reality isn't that great.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Spiderman 2. HD empire state building dives while catching little girls balloons.
Also Star Wars: Battlefront. And when i say Star Wars:Battlefront i mean just make Battlefront 3 already for the love of god.
Jurrassic Park Operation Genesis wouldn't go a miss either, i played that game to death.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
I want the System Shock games remade. System Shock was an interesting game hamstrung by its pre-WSAD key layout, and System Shock 2 has an inexplicable hatred of modern computers.
I second this so hard. I know people who are like "I know System Shock is supposed to be good, but argh the click-and-drag look-around interface, argh the graphics, argh the ancient interface."

If it had an engine/graphics upgrade, System Shock would scare the ever-loving bejeebers out of me, and SHODAN would be the most amazing thing since sliced bread, as if she isn't already. Can you see SS2's 4th-floor "hologram room" in full massive graphics? YES.

(This would probably end up with people complaining that "it's just BioShock with cyberpunk" because Darn Kids didn't learn about System Shock beforehand. But maybe it'd actually help drag the games out from under BioShock's retroactive shadow.)

I don't have a problem running SS2; it's just dated.

Also Jet Force Gemini, so it can get some actual love in this world; also Star Fox (Assault was a nice nostalgia trip but didn't cut it, and Command is a DS game for crying out loud).

Also Chrono Trigger. Freaking Squeenix won't let fan-game makers touch it, but they refuse to work on it. Make up your darn minds, Square.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
The Colony Wars or G-Police games. There is a distinct lack of those kind of titles around at the moment.

A new Freelancer would be good too.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Danceofmasks said:
Proton Packmule said:
GeorgW said:
Pong. Imagine the EPIC-nes!
I'm pretty sure there was a pong on ps1. Pretty fun if i remember rightly, but still got old a bit quickly! What would you do to ramp up the challenge? More to the point, would you include a story mode?
What about Andy Roddick vs Pong?
That was hilarious.
You guys ought to try out BIT.TRIP.BEAT. It's ..odd.

Rkiver

High King of Tara
Mar 30, 2010
Alandoril said:
The Colony Wars or G-Police games. There is a distinct lack of those kind of titles around at the moment.

A new Freelancer would be good too.
Yes yes and more yes.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
The Neverhood.

Or a proper 3D PS3 version of FF6.
(If that game gets remade, it deserves proper treatment, (though with the state Squarenix is in at the mo' I don't know if they could ever do it justice).

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
Halo: Combat Evolved with some new weapons/vehicles, updated graphics, a more modern, more realistic game and physics engine and fully destructible environments. Keep the lame new Flood crap out of it, keep it as the gritty horror sort of feel it was meant to be. In fact, if I made a modern original Halo, the whole thing would be a survival/horror FPS.

I also wholly agree with a revamped KOTOR.

EDIT: How could I forget, a modern re-make of the original Warcraft games.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Wing Commander or Mechwarrior.

And no, neither of those franchises will be resurrected thanks to so the incredible pricks firstly at EA and then at Harmony Gold.

Proton Packmule

Oct 29, 2010
Canid117 said:
Well seeing as how there are not enough new IPs as it is I am hesitant about this whole "Lets remake everything" attitude. Remember what happened to Hollywood?
Valid point, but hollywood remakes things after 5 years, when a camera is still a camera and actors are still actors. Our tech is well above that; and if games keep the same story, experience etc why can't they be overhauled to keep current and maybe reach a new generation?

Proton Packmule

Oct 29, 2010
Caliostro said:
Christ... KOTOR is old for you? What do you call Goldeneye, or Quake II? Or god forbid, Wolfenstein 3D, Beneath a Steel Sky or previous games? Ancient?
As opposed to new? Absolutely. And anyway, say what you will about gamers, but many of us flit between fond memories of great games past, and wanting our money's worth from the big box by the monitor, we appreciate technology, we appreciate our old favourites, why not combine them?

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Pac-Man. You could play online and the ghosts would knife-lunge you from a few feet away. It'd make for happy, stress-free gaming.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Proton Packmule said:
Caliostro said:
Christ... KOTOR is old for you? What do you call Goldeneye, or Quake II? Or god forbid, Wolfenstein 3D, Beneath a Steel Sky or previous games? Ancient?
As opposed to new? Absolutely. And anyway, say what you will about gamers, but many of us flit between fond memories of great games past, and wanting our money's worth from the big box by the monitor, we appreciate technology, we appreciate our old favourites, why not combine them?
Because we've already played them?

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Beneath a Steel Sky. To me, it's still one of the greatest examples of adventure games ever made, and that includes all the 3D games they've made since (and I'm a big fan of 3D>2D). However, what would it really improve to remake it? Even using the CryEngine 3, and the most absurdly overbudgeted graphic department in history... It's the same fucking game.

Sequels are generally bad enough, but, can work, as Fallout 3 demonstrated. Remakes are simply bloody stupid. It's like the people who say "WHO GOD TFC WAS SOO MUCH BETTER THAN TF2", or "Battlefield 2 IS SOO MUCH BETTER THAN BAD COMPANY 2!". Then why aren't you playing them?! The games exist. They're still available. Go play them.

Good games are a product of a specific time and technology as much as of good writing and designing. They can become immortal through themselves (like Beneath a Steel Sky, or Counter Strike), but what, honestly, would a remake accomplish? They generally just become misplaced... Imagine Counter Strike remade on the latest graphics and physics engine. It would be horribly misplaced. What would remaking FF VII into FULL-4xAA-HIGH DEF TEXTURES AND MODELS really accomplish? It would look prettier... And nothing else. The resources would be better spent making a GOOD new game instead. Hell, even a sequel is generally preferable to a remake.

Proton Packmule

Oct 29, 2010
Caliostro said:
The wheel's been around for a while, but my car doesn't have stone discs on it, it's mesh and rubber. If someone made a hover car, would i use it? Bet your behind i would! Heck, if a hover skateboard existed, i'd forego driving altogether and take that. Until such a time, i'm happy with refining what already exists, as long as it improves it.