Remake an old game with this gen's technology. What do you go for?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
No_Remainders said:
Final Fantasy 7 with a release for PC.

*crosses fingers*
Was the old Final Fantasy 7 PC release not good enough for you?

OT:X-Com:UFO Defense, or the AD&D Gold Box, or Menzobarenzan, or Fallout, or Fallout 2, or Fallout Tactics.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Proton Packmule said:
Caliostro said:
The wheel's been around for a while, but my car doesn't have stone discs on it, it's mesh and rubber. If someone made a hover car, would i use it? Bet your behind i would! Heck, if a hover skateboard existed, i'd forego driving altogether and take that. Until such a time, i'm happy with refining what already exists, as long as it improves it.
Those aren't remakes, those are new items... And you're talking practicality, not entertainment.

An F1 is constantly being "remade" with new pieces to improve performance... But this isn't really applicable to entertainment is it? Maybe with patches and updates... Neither of those are remakes.

The issue is that, while creating a new and better wheel gives you a specific improvement over your old wheel. You don't, I hope, watch your wheel for entertainment. You use it to drive from point A to point B. You get better sets of wheels to either get faster or safer to point B. You can't simply make a square wheel.

This isn't the same thing you do with entertainment. Sure, "the wheel gets better" in the sense that graphics and physics engines keep getting improved, but we're not really buying a wheel. It's more like buying a painting, or a book. Would you really benefit from the Mona Lisa if it was touched up by Photoshop? Or from the Raven if it was printed in really glossy paper with an extremely well done cover? It's still the Raven. It's still Edgar Allan Poe.

All it really takes to make new games is creativity. It's not technological advancement. You can't build "hovercars" because our technology simply doesn't allow it reliably yet. Not because someone simply decided "hey, we CAN build hovercars, or flying ships... But let's remake the car instead! Make it prettier!".

Elhueno

Jul 29, 2008
Freelancer. 1000000X freelancer. Imagine that game with todays graphics. Todays online systems....

That would make me so happy

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
SimuLord said:
Morrowind with Oblivion's graphical quality (a modder tried this but got cease-and-desisted out of existence by Bethesda's lawyers.)
I'm not sure which project you're talking about, but:
http://forums.encyclopediadramatica.com/showthread.php?p=321965

I'm running this right now. I have to say, since I bought Crysis on that Steam sale I'm not too impressed with it's visual quality. I think Morrowind looks better! I have the settings maxed at 1080p (minus some AA options) so it's not like I've set the game to look ugly or anything.

Really, this is what I came here to post anyway. I realized while I was playing it that it was exactly what I'd want to see in any other full "next-gen remake" of any other dated title.

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
Super Toast said:
Planescape: Torment. Refined old school gameplay with a new coat of paint. Glorious.
I was just thinking about exactly this today since I'm playing through the game after losing my old saves. The locations in Sigil are so rich. Brothel of Slaking Intellectual Lusts, anyone?

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
SilentRuss said:
Pirates of the Caribbean.

If that title confuses you, then look up what "Sea Dogs 2" became when Disney merged with Bethesda back in the day.

If you know and have played this game, you'll be with me on this one.
Sea Dogs was the best Pirate RPG I've ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtxJDvZOhbQ

Sid Meirs can go civ himself with his "Pirates!".
I remember that game. More specifically, I remember being terrible at it and raging because I was caught in a storm.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
No_Remainders said:
Final Fantasy 7 with a release for PC.

*crosses fingers*
Was the old Final Fantasy 7 PC release not good enough for you?

OT:X-Com:UFO Defense, or the AD&D Gold Box, or Menzobarenzan, or Fallout, or Fallout 2, or Fallout Tactics.
Apparently people didn't really understand what I said.

I am entirely aware that FF7 had a PC release. I'm also aware that it was a fairly shoddy port from a console.

My point is that if they do re-make FF7, chances are it will only be on consoles, which will not amuse me.

EOD Tech

Dec 30, 2010
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Didn't it had a remake in 2004/2005?

OT: I cannot really think of anything, but maybe Blood Omen, American McGee's Alice and Soul Reaver.
It did, I've got it and it's pretty damn awesome :)
Since when? It's still the same game I remember. I just played through it again a couple months ago.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

OT: I cannot really think of anything, but maybe Blood Omen, American McGee's Alice and Soul Reaver.
Since when? It's still the same game I remember. I just played through it again a couple months ago.
You are aware of the original Pirates on the Amiga and NES aren't you? The 2004ish version being the one I'm referring to as the remake.

EOD Tech

Dec 30, 2010
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

You are aware of the original Pirates on the Amiga and NES aren't you? The 2004ish version being the one I'm referring to as the remake.
Yes, I'm aware of both. My meaning was there are no good pirate games since this one (or the remake, whatever).

EOD Tech

Dec 30, 2010
I'll say again: North and South, because I loved playing as the South and kicking some Yankee ass.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Yes, I'm aware of both. My meaning was there are no good pirate games since this one (or the remake, whatever).
I'm confused. You're quite right, there haven't been any good pirate games since the Sid Meier remake, but no-one said there was. Someone asked about a remake, I confirmed that it had happened.

EOD Tech

Dec 30, 2010
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

I'm confused. You're quite right, there haven't been any good pirate games since the Sid Meier remake, but no-one said there was. Someone asked about a remake, I confirmed that it had happened.
But it's hardly a remake with "this gen's technology," which was the original post's intent. So we're in agreement, I guess. Enough said.