Remake an old game with this gen's technology. What do you go for?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I think Oni could use a graphical update. Other than Halo: Reach, Oni was one of the more entertaining games Bungie has released. Can't think of anything good that could go well with this title; my imagination has withered to nearly nothing.

ExodusFlame

Jul 21, 2010
I think remake Desert Bus it would be......interesting to see all the sand and such in 3D :p That or the original Duke Nukem games :p.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
EOD Tech said:
number2301 said:
Khaiseri said:
EOD Tech said:
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Didn't it had a remake in 2004/2005?

OT: I cannot really think of anything, but maybe Blood Omen, American McGee's Alice and Soul Reaver.
It did, I've got it and it's pretty damn awesome :)
Since when? It's still the same game I remember. I just played through it again a couple months ago.
You are aware of the original Pirates on the Amiga and NES aren't you? The 2004ish version being the one I'm referring to as the remake.
Yes, I'm aware of both. My meaning was there are no good pirate games since this one (or the remake, whatever).
I'm confused. You're quite right, there haven't been any good pirate games since the Sid Meier remake, but no-one said there was. Someone asked about a remake, I confirmed that it had happened.
But it's hardly a remake with "this gen's technology," which was the original post's intent. So we're in agreement, I guess. Enough said.
Ahh fair enough, I didn't pick up on that bit. I guess 5-6 years old still counts as modern to me. It's sure as hell not hampered by graphics and when you get to that point I tend to think of things as modern.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
the first devil may cry
not the most deserving game but i sure as hell though whilst playing "imagen what it would be like with current gen graphics"

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
System Shock would be BAD ASSED if they did it up the right way. It would be hard to preserve its uniqueness and not have it come off like a clone of (insert franchise).

X-COM. Now here's the important part: do it like the Starcraft update, meaning do *NOT* try to reinvent X-COM, it was a better game than almost anything else then and it's a better game now. Instead give it menus that aren't painful, the ability to save equipment loadouts, maybe a few more technologies and items, let us decide who's in front when getting off the jet, etc. Still top-down, still turn-based, still with resource management, still the game we know and love, just less ugly and less painful to work with.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
Thought of another one.

Crystalis. Closest we got was a Game Boy Color port. The GBC port got great reviews for a ten year old game at the time. Now, twenty years later, even an upgrade to a DS/3DS version would be quite the improvement on an already fantastic game as long as they don't change much about the story and gameplay.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Seriously this was a brilliant game let down by some bugs and unfinished parts. Arguing marxist philosophy with an orc? Check. I'd want more of a sequel than a remake.

I'd make the game 1st person, this may seem a shock but bear with me, it would mean you played a completely different game as say a gnome compared to a half-troll. There'd be areas only smaller characters could reach, but as a down side you'd be well...small. Meanwhile a half-troll while huge and powerful, would have to duck in doorways and presents a bigger target for gun slingers.

Set it all in Tarant and make this immense sprawling organic city, with hawkers, beggers, markets, carriages and trains and the like. The combat would be first person like in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, with you wielding swords, bows, guns or casting spells depending on your character. You're skill would determine the nature and damage of your attacks, but you would have situations like Morrowind with constant misses or Oblvion and having to hits something one hundred times.

Dr.Fantastic

Aug 27, 2010
Punch out.You would train by playing minigames, a story added to it would be epic
Fuck this im gonna go play punch out right now.

TheWeis

May 20, 2009
FF7 with graphics but still no voice actors, text is superior

Ocarina of Time with much much better camera controls and some graphics updates

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I want a graphical update for either Chrono Trigger or Xenogears.

Chrono Trigger with Dragon Quest VIII graphics would be just incredible.

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
Pacman: Pac with a vengenace, in which the protagonists fractured psyche becomes more and more apparent as the player progresses through an increasingly surreal narrative, driven by the protagonists attempts to cope with his troubled past and mental issues(personified by the antagonists; Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Clyde).

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Estarc said:
I'd have to go with The Legend of Dragoon, a JRPG on the PS1 for those of you who haven't played it. It was overshadowed by the Final Fantasy series, but it is a great game and I'd love to see it remade and aggressively marketed this time.
I'd love to see this game re-vamped with new graphics. BUT ONLY IF THEY KEPT EVERYTHING EXACTLY THE SAME.
That game was perfect!

Now I just wish I could afford to buy the old version...so expensive!