Remastered Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Includes Lost Zone

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Remastered Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Includes Lost Zone

The new iOS and Android versions of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog 2 game will include the Hidden Palace Zone.

During development of Sega Genesis title Sonic the Hedgehog 2, a special bonus level named the Hidden Palace Zone was scrapped. The remastered iOS and Android versions, available today, will include the bonus level for the first time officially.

Hidden Palace Zone was originally a bonus level used after collecting the game's seven Chaos Emeralds, and Sonic would be able to transform into Super Sonic with the Chaos Emeralds. The level first appeared online in a prototype version [http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(Simon_Wai_prototype)] of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which was distributed as a ROM file. The whole level is, of course, not included because the level was never completed in development, but whatever was finished can be played through the prototype.

Sonic Retro members Simon Thomley and Christian Whitehead developed the mobile version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whitehead has incorporated previously cut content in his other Sonic ports, such as the Sonic the Hedgehog remake for iOS and Android, including items removed from the original.

Hidden Palace was used in pieces for other games. Its name was used in an unrelated level in Sonic and Knuckles, some of the background art was used in Sonic Spinball, and a few of its elements, such as glowing bridges and spheres, were used in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has already been released for iOS, so if you already own that version, you can download the new version as a free update. Android users wanting to play this remastered version will have to buy it as the game has not been released for Android before.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/11/remastered-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-hits-android-ios-tomorrow-with/]

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ahhh Sonic Retro. The unofficial-official segment of Sonic Team.

I both admire and are baffled by your continued dedication.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's worth noting that virtually none of the prototype's layout made it into the new version. The setpieces are all there, but laid out totally differently.

P.S. Thanks

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
This sounds rather cool, but I've already tried playing the 2D Sonic games on iOS but gave up on them out of sheer frustration thanks to the infernal virtual control pad and I'm not exactly in a rush to go through all that again. Who would have known Marble Zone could be such an ordeal?

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
MarsProbe said:
This sounds rather cool, but I've already tried playing the 2D Sonic games on iOS but gave up on them out of sheer frustration thanks to the infernal virtual control pad and I'm not exactly in a rush to go through all that again. Who would have known Marble Zone could be such an ordeal?
Have you played the improved Simon Thomley and Christian Whitehead port?

Because the old original iOS version had a terrible D-Pad, which made it almost impossible to play.
But after the update they fixed it and it got A LOT better. Still, it is a virtual D-Pad, so it is not perfect.
But IMHO it is the best virtual D-Pad I have used, and my brother in law said the same...
It is definetly worth a try.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
MarsProbe said:
That was my thought too, but it turns out they place rather nicely on Bluestacks with a keyboard or gamepad.

That said, I'm still waiting for their Sonic 1 remaster to get a PC release like Sonic CD did. I'm wondering if they might be waiting to stick 'em into a compilation of some sort.

P.S. Thanks

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
MarsProbe said:
Have you played the improved Simon Thomley and Christian Whitehead port?

Because the old original iOS version had a terrible D-Pad, which made it almost impossible to play.
But after the update they fixed it and it got A LOT better. Still, it is a virtual D-Pad, so it is not perfect.
But IMHO it is the best virtual D-Pad I have used, and my brother in law said the same...
It is definetly worth a try.
I've never tried that, may have to give it a shot. Anything that makes you less prone to sliding off into the lava countless times would be most welcome....