Remedy: Next-Gen is a "Quantum Leap"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Remedy: Next-Gen is a "Quantum Leap"

Alan Wake developer, Remedy, is already working on an unannounced next-gen title.

"Currently, we are working with a relatively small team on a next-gen project," Remedy's head of franchise development, Oskari Häkkinen, told GamesIndustry International. "One question you always ask yourself in this phase is: can the upcoming consoles really be so much better compared to the current gen? I can rest assure you, they are. It's a quantum leap."

Remedy currently has a team of twenty working on an unannounced next-gen title, and is currently eying a larger office in its home turf of Espoo, Finland. Known mostly for its PC titles, including the first two installments of the Max Payne series, the developer is looking to branch out into mobile platforms. The company released a remake of its 1996 MS-DOS title, Death Rally, for Windows and iOS last year.

"Death Rally was a title, which was kind of a test drive for us how games on iOS are working," Häkkinen continued. "From a business perspective, it is pretty obvious that we should do a sequel, keeping the unexpected success of the title in mind. But we are a creative company. We want to create new topics and franchises. So we are still in discussion, what we will do next [on iOS and Android]."

While Remedy's last new IP, Alan Wake is often, perhaps unfairly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.354103-Alan-Wake-Sells-Two-Million], labeled a commercial failure, it did end with a big juicy sequel hook. While the early days of a console's lifespan are generally considered the best time to introduce a new IP, I personally wouldn't turn down another chance to visit Bright Falls.

Source: GamesIndustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-23-remedy-calls-next-gen-a-quantum-leap]

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Quantum means small. He just unintentionally insulted the next generation. It is cool that it is a big difference though, assuming that is what he meant.

soldierk3

Sep 29, 2008
Why does no one understand that a "quantum leap" is not a significant measurement?

Quantum means "as small as physically possible"

A "quantum leap" in video game technology would make it completely unnoticeably better.

It DOES NOT mean huge, or large, or gigantic, or anything even remotely larger than things we cannot see with a microscope. It is a discrete, tiny tiny difference.

/end phyiscs rage

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Hilarious unintentional irony aside, I do wish them luck on their new project.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Uh, I think in colloquial use quantum leap refers to quantum tunneling - going from one place to another while skipping the barriers in between. It's not a reference to scale.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Pyrian said:
Uh, I think in colloquial use quantum leap refers to quantum tunneling - going from one place to another while skipping the barriers in between. It's not a reference to scale.
Nope, a quantum leap is this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_electron_transition
You're probably thinking about the tv series.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
I hate it when i get ninja'd by the article, i mean it me minding my own business then i see an news article with the word quantum leap in the title and i think "hey maybe i can get a Sam Beckett joke in" but no, my dreams were dashed when Grey Carter put in a picture of Scott Bakula in the article. And all I have to say now is well played sir, things shall be different next time and one day you shall come to curse my name.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not so sure things will turn out to be such a massive leap. It may be in terms of technology, given how long it's been since we got new consoles and Moore's law, but I'm doubtful whether we will actually be able to see a difference in terms of graphics. I think graphical quality has gotten so good it's starting to plateau. If you take a look at the very best looking PC games right now, they are noticeably better than the best consoles can muster, but it's far from an entire console generation away. The gap isn't a "quantum leap" by any stretch of the imagination. Oh well, maybe once developers get used to the new technology more things will start to look better.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009

With that out of the way, I look forwards to the next wave of consoles, to bad I'm starting university, otherwise I'd have the money to get them >.>

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Scrustle said:
I'm not so sure things will turn out to be such a massive leap. It may be in terms of technology, given how long it's been since we got new consoles and Moore's law, but I'm doubtful whether we will actually be able to see a difference in terms of graphics. I think graphical quality has gotten so good it's starting to plateau. If you take a look at the very best looking PC games right now, they are noticeably better than the best consoles can muster, but it's far from an entire console generation away. The gap isn't a "quantum leap" by any stretch of the imagination. Oh well, maybe once developers get used to the new technology more things will start to look better.
So... you could say the change will be a "quantum leap"?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"One question you always ask yourself in this phase is: can the upcoming consoles really be so much better compared to the current gen? I can rest assure you, they are. It's a quantum leap."
I love how everyone jumped on "quantum leap" and completely missed "I can rest assure you". As a followup I hope he can don't worry them.

That said, I quite like that he said it's so much better without saying HOW. Not even in the vaguest sense. It's just... so much better. I'll be over here with my grain of salt.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Absolutionis said:
Scrustle said:
So... you could say the change will be a "quantum leap"?
What do you mean? From the end of this console cycle to the end of the next one? Maybe. But like I said, I think the advancement of graphical quality is starting to slow down. If you take a look at videos of the new engines coming out they don't look such a huge step up. The changes are all things that you wouldn't really notice unless you look really really close.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, a quantum leap? Really? Does that mean that the WiiU will be 2 generations ahead of the next PS and xBox?

It's always funny when people want to say "a huge advance" yet use the term quantum leap.

Grey Carter said:
"I can rest assure you."
And there it is. We have our winrar.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Scrustle said:
part of it imo is the engine technology, everything is still running in a dx9 world with Unreal3.5, source, and detuned cryengine 3. Once the next gen is out and devs finally have something to support unreal 4, and full featured cryengine 3 that is when you should see a more drastic shift.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I can't wait for the amazing new technologies in FLUID and CLOTH and GRAIN and SHADING and POLYGONS!

Oh wait I don't give a flying fuck about those. What I can't wait is for the current materialistic, technofetishistic, graphics-obsessed clusterfuck of a gaming industry to die so I can play more games that are actually interesting.

Now excuse me while I go play Thirty Flights of Loving.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
A quantum leap in prices is probably more apt.

Consoles and games have gotten too expensive, without adding greatly to the amount of actual in-game content. Unless this next generation is something spectacular *besides* looking pretty, I gotta wonder when we finally reach the point where people stop putting down more and more money for prettier graphics with the same or less content behind them.

Graphics are a double-edged sword. Used wisely they can make a memorable gaming experience. However, if you use them frivolously, all you're doing is taking away money, staff and development time that could have been better used on other aspects of your game. Just because you *can* make something look nearly photo-realistic doesn't mean that you should.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
People get so hung up on the next generation of consoles being all about graphic fidelity when they should be looking forward to the massive increase in RAM that is going open up gaming possibilities, especially in AI. The specs of that MS dev kit weren't that impressive graphics wise, however it had it where it counts CPU and RAM.

There are remarkable improvements to be made in graphics, sure, just look at a Frostbite 2 game on a Gaming PC and compare it to the 360. There are game engines out there already well suited to the next gen, so all that devs need to do is develop for PC and strip the games back for consoles.

Kesimir

Jan 22, 2011
Lectori Salutem said:
Pyrian said:
Nope, a quantum leap is this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_electron_transition
You're probably thinking about the tv series.
Quoth the wiki, "It appears discontinuous as the electron "jumps" from one energy level to another in a few nanoseconds or less. It is also known as atomic transition, quantum jump, or quantum leap."

In other words a quantum leap is a discontinuous change with no smooth transition from one state to another with the implication, based on context, that the new energy state is higher (i.e. more impressive).Pyrian is correct that Oskari is using the term accurately to indicate that the next gen consoles are significantly different from the previous in such a way that, hyperbolically speaking, we won't know how they got there from current technology. Somewhat reminiscent of Arthur C. Clark's third law: the new consoles will run on magic.