Remedy: No Alan Wake on PC Unless Microsoft Says So

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Remedy: No Alan Wake on PC Unless Microsoft Says So


More bad news for PC gamers: Microsoft [http://www.remedygames.com/] elects to proceed with it at a future date.

The news went out last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92975-Remedy-Focusing-on-Xbox-360-Version-of-Alan-Wake] that Remedy is "focusing all its efforts on the 360 version" of Alan Wake and that as a result, the PC release would be delayed. A Remedy representative wrote on the Alan Wake forums that the company would comment further on the status of the PC version at some point in the future.

The future is now, apparently, and PC gamers aren't going to like what they hear: Alan Wake on the PC is essentially dead unless Microsoft says otherwise.

"Thank you for your continued interest in Alan Wake. It is accurate that we are currently working exclusively on the BrightFalls.net [http://www.xbox.com]. "PC plans are currently open, and therefore it's safe to say that at least a simultaneous launch with the Xbox version will not happen at this late stage. Remedy has a deep heritage in PC gaming and would love to see a PC version available to its PC followers, ultimately however this decision lies with our publisher."

And that, as they say, is that. I still think it's unlikely that the PC release will be canceled outright but Microsoft is clearly going to leverage the title as an Xbox 360 exclusive as much as it possibly can. Can't really blame the company for that - all's fair in the console wars - but it does cast a certain doubt on their professed commitment to PC gaming.

We've contacted Remedy for more details and will update when we can.


Permalink
 

ElArabDeMagnifico

New member
Dec 20, 2007
3,775
0
0
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
 

bue519

New member
Oct 3, 2007
913
0
0
I'd like to say I'm disappointed, but from the showing at E3 I'm not really missing much. Remedy should really just go and work on the next Max Payne game.
 

HardRockSamurai

New member
May 28, 2008
3,122
0
0
Keep in mind folks that it took four years of development for this game to arrive. FOUR YEARS just for a generic hybrid of Resident Evil 4 and Luigi's Mansion?

Hell, I don't even want this game on the Xbox 360. Make Max Payne you bastards!
 

bue519

New member
Oct 3, 2007
913
0
0
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
I would have to guess that they had to add more console exclusives because two recycled Halo games wasn't enough.
 

Royas

New member
Apr 25, 2008
539
0
0
The PC is potentially the most powerful gaming platform in existence, yet it continues to get treated like the redheaded stepchild of the gaming world. Never mind that the PC is where the modern gaming trend really started and where it lived for years.
 

ElArabDeMagnifico

New member
Dec 20, 2007
3,775
0
0
bue519 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
I would have to guess that they had to add more console exclusives because two recycled Halo games wasn't enough.
Well, a friend of mine replied to me in a previous thread about this:

*flashback to 1 week ago*

KDR_11k said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I heard MS say something on shacknews along the lines of "if this gets released on both the 360 and PC simultaneously in Europe, they will buy the PC version 9 times out of 10."
PC version: 50€. 360 version: 70€. What could POSSIBLY make people prefer the PC version...
 

calelogan

New member
Jun 15, 2008
221
0
0
I think it'll eventually come out for PC, but even if I don't like it, it makes sense that Microsoft is favoring the Xbox release.

Still...Remedy has a history with PCs and I've played Max Payne 2 mods until recently. It's hard to imagine the guys who developed Max Payne won't be able to release their game on the PC.
 

Kollega

New member
Jun 5, 2009
5,161
0
0
Fuckers. They always hate PC,don't they. I know all that money that they get from going exclusive is tasty and shit,but what about me and others like me? I don't have spare money to buy Xbox 360 or PS3,and i don't have HDTV to play on,but there's less and less decent games on PC. How about SHARING THE LOVE FOR ONCE?

Sigh. If,say,Ratchet & Clank series or Gears of War 2 or Madworld were ported on PC,i'd buy them. But who wants reasonable amount of my money? No-one,that's who. Everyone wants me to fork over embarrasing amounts of dosh just to play said games,and i'll rather spend that cash on something more important,or save it up for later.
 

Credge

New member
Apr 12, 2008
1,042
0
0
I'm kind of upset. I don't think it's smart of Microsoft to do this as it isn't exactly a major title. If this were, say, Halo 3 and it was going to have a PC and 360 release then it would be very smart to just have it on 360 instead.

This, though, not so much.

I would have bought the game because I like the developer. Now, I won't have the ability to support the developer because I don't own a 360 and this game is not a system seller.

So... I don't really understand.
 

Awesometown

New member
Jul 14, 2009
152
0
0
360 has a wider audience i.e more money, Microsoft is a business it doesn't care that much about Pc gamers over the moneymaking 360
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
bue519 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
I would have to guess that they had to add more console exclusives because two recycled Halo games wasn't enough.
Well, a friend of mine replied to me in a previous thread about this:

*flashback to 1 week ago*

KDR_11k said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I heard MS say something on shacknews along the lines of "if this gets released on both the 360 and PC simultaneously in Europe, they will buy the PC version 9 times out of 10."
PC version: 50€. 360 version: 70€. What could POSSIBLY make people prefer the PC version...
They're going to regret this in 5 years when everyone migrates away from PC gaming because of the spotty support; less people will have windows if it has nothing to do with gaming any more.

What are they thinking,? Alan Wake on the 360 will make me say "hey, I know the 360 melts like a chocolate bar in a fat man's pocket but if it has that game, I'll take the risk."
Try harder MS, try making a machine that works.
 

Credge

New member
Apr 12, 2008
1,042
0
0
Awesometown said:
360 has a wider audience i.e more money, Microsoft is a business it doesn't care that much about Pc gamers over the moneymaking 360
Wider audience? Not by a long shot.