Remedy Releases Alan Wake: Building the Thriller Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remedy Releases Alan Wake: Building the Thriller Video

Alan Wake [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76175] has gone gold after five years in development and to mark the moment, Remedy has released a very cool inside look at the game called Alan Wake: Building the Thriller.

We don't do "gone gold" announcements very often but I'm making an exception in this case. Not just because it's been a long half-decade since Remedy announced that it was leaving Max Payne [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/] behind to work on the "psychological thriller" Alan Wake, but because of the unusual documentary-style video Remedy has put out in the run-up to its release.

Building the Thriller lays out the story behind the game, which should be familiar to most of us by now: Best-selling author Alan Wake, afflicted with writer's block, takes a vacation with his wife to the idyllic town of Bright Falls. But instead of a relaxing escape, Wake finds himself trapped in a nightmare, battling a mysterious evil while trying to understand the mystery behind the pages of a manuscript he doesn't remember writing.

The video provides a closer look at the "light and dark" gameplay mechanic, which will be a crucial component of the game. Some of Wake's most vital tools will be flashlights, road flares and even massive military searchlights which he will need to "burn away the darkness," but along with the unusual combat, Remedy [http://www.remedygames.com/] also focused on developing a strong cast of supporting characters and mixed an original score with licensed music to create "strong atmosphere." To keep the action flowing, Alan Wake monitors player performance and adjusts difficulty on the fly to maintain a "sweet spot" that provides constant challenge without overwhelming players.

Remedy has set some lofty goals for Alan Wake; if this video is any indication, it might just manage to pull it off. We'll find out soon enough: The game comes out on May 14 in Europe and May 18 in North America.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Cant wait for this. I've got the special edition preordered, and really, really want it to be time to pick it up already :D

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
GamerLuck said:
Cant wait for this. I've got the special edition preordered, and really, really want it to be time to pick it up already :D
Ditto. I managed to get the Spec Ed for £35 and I'm absolutely dying to play it. I'll probably do an all-nighter!

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
someboredguy said:
I know this is a really stupid question, but what does "gone gold" mean?
If I'm not mistaken, it means that the game has completed development and has been sent off to manufacturers to be pressed onto discs.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
someboredguy said:
I know this is a really stupid question, but what does "gone gold" mean?
That a "gold master" version of the disc has been sent to the manufacturers for "glass master" and then "full production" runs.

The "gold master" is a full, data-layout optimized version of the disc, the "final cut" so-to-speak.

They don't actually use real glass masters for anything but audio anymore, IIRC, but they still make a physical negative, and this is still called the "glass master". This is the "stamp" used to "punch" the lands and pits onto the final media, in the "final production" run.

I know all this because I produced more than one gold master for CD-Rom shovelware on a Meridian Data system in the early 90's. The writeable discs used for this step were actually gold tinted, thus the term "going gold". The terms from this era are still in use today.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
josemlopes said:
ZeLunarian said:
Does the story behind this remind anyone of Secret Window with Johnny Depp? D:
A bit, yes
I got that vibe too.

None the less I am expecting great things from the game, it looks really impressive so far

soulmonarch

Oct 17, 2008
Awwww... I was totally expecting zombies dancing to Michael Jackson music. ><

That said, I'm looking forward to this game soooo much.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
sinclose said:
Once again, the comments section on youtube are filled with retards debating the list of PS3 exclusives vs X360 exclusives.
Funniest comment:"Sony fanboys like to delude themselves they have more exclusives than the X360 lol" Yeah right, don't own either, but PS3 has more real exclusives.

OT:Don't own an Xbox, REALLY hope they release it to PC in the future...
You do realize that you've just done exactly what you called the youtube commentators retards for, don't you?

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
sinclose said:
BloodSquirrel said:
sinclose said:
Once again, the comments section on youtube are filled with retards debating the list of PS3 exclusives vs X360 exclusives.
Funniest comment:"Sony fanboys like to delude themselves they have more exclusives than the X360 lol" Yeah right, don't own either, but PS3 has more real exclusives.

You do realize that you've just done exactly what you called the youtube commentators retards for, don't you?
Actually it was an afterthought but it's a fact when you look at the numbers. And also, I didn't do it with any intention of starting a flame war, instead of saying stuff like 'all microsoft fans are gay lololololoooll'
But yeah, I slipped up there. :-(
Seriously though, most X360 exclusives come to PC which is a good thing, both for gamers and company profits, and I think Sony should do it to. Just because I think PS3 has more exclusives doesn't mean I believe it's a good thing.
Yeah. Having exclusives is not a good thing. Since I don't own both the consoles I think it sucks. When thinking about it; it's as stupid to require different gaming consoles for different games as it it would be to demand different DVD players for movies from Universal and Fox movies.

To add to the topic, however, I'll definitely be buying this game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
sinclose said:
BloodSquirrel said:
sinclose said:

Actually it was an afterthought but it's a fact when you look at the numbers. And also, I didn't do it with any intention of starting a flame war, instead of saying stuff like 'all microsoft fans are gay lololololoooll'
But yeah, I slipped up there. :-(
Seriously though, most X360 exclusives come to PC which is a good thing, both for gamers and company profits, and I think Sony should do it to. Just because I think PS3 has more exclusives doesn't mean I believe it's a good thing.
"real" games are all opinions. So, its not a fact looking at the numbers.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Microsoft... why the fuck did you kill the PC release?

It's a first party game, releasing the game for PC is MONEY IN THE BANK, make it a Steam exclusive even. What the hell is this bait and switch bullshit, Remedy have always been PC developers, their biggest fans are hardcore PC gamers so what the hell?

I'm sorry but a game like this deserves a hell of a lot better than 720p resolution, only PC can offer 1080p with high frame rate, and worst of all is technically there is absolutely nothing sopping Microsoft just giving thee go ahead to begin printing DVD-ROM.

Just pick up the phone, call Gabe, and get this game on Steam. MS have been listening to the fanboys way too much.