Remedy Says Yes to More Alan Wake, but No to Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Remedy Says Yes to More Alan Wake, but No to Sequel

The Alan Wake developer has answered one question, but raised about a dozen more.

Following yesterday's rumblings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109873-Rumor-Remedy-Busy-Working-on-Alan-Wake-Sequel] of a sequel, Remedy has admitted that it is working on more Alan Wake content. But according to a statement from the studio, it is not working on a sequel, nor is it working on more DLC for the first game.

Remedy said that it would have preferred to hold off on the announcement until it was ready, with actual media to show people. However, now that it wasn't really a secret anymore, Remedy wanted to shed a little more light on what was going on. Ironically, in doing so, it's just made things more cryptic, as we're left to speculate about what the new content could be. All Remedy would reveal is that it would be something that existing Alan Wake fans could enjoy, but would also give people new to the franchise a good place to start. That sounds like it could be a prequel - perhaps telling the story of Thomas Zane - but that's just one possibility.

There's no release date for the content beyond "Fall 2011." Interestingly, Remedy was also coy about what platform the content would appear on, which might mean that PC players, who were left out in the cold with the original Alan Wake, might get a chance to play the new content. Remedy didn't say when its official announcement would come, but it's hard to think of a better time than E3, which is just around the corner.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/new-alan-wake-confirmed-but-its-not-alan-wake-2/]

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I like this game a lot but I think its needs a little more than just more story. add some new mechanics. its a game, not a book.

fabiosooner

Sep 3, 2010
The DLCs, especially The Writer, did a really good job on that. There's even some quasi-platformer sections. If these are integrated earlier into the new game, that should suffice.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
More Alan Wake, but not Alan Wake? Cryptic and confusing so all I can really say is:

Just take my damn money already!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
de5gravity said:
PLEASE let it be on the PC! That and Limbo are the only games that made me wish I had a 360.
Just what i was thinking, though the odds of it happening are damn small.
But still, a man can dream, right?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'd guess and expand-alone prequal related to Thomas Zane released alongside Alan Wake Collectors Edition on the PC & PS3, but then I'm very boring when guessing things.

googleback said:
I like this game a lot but I think its needs a little more than just more story. add some new mechanics. its a game, not a book.
I know this probably makes me weird, but I liked it because it was written like a film/book and so would be perfectly happy if they left everything the same and just gave me more story.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
"All Remedy would reveal is that it would be something that existing Alan Wake fans could enjoy, but would also give people new to the franchise a good place to start."

I'm pretty sure that everyone is new to the franchise at this point. There has been a single Alan Wake game(and two DLCs) so far. It's not some big on-going saga like a comic book that people will need to know the set-up for.

It's just not important whether or not this new content acts as a entryway into the franchise because, thus far, the franchise is still outside. A prequel wouldn't hurt, though.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm really torn here. I want to know what happens next. If they call it Alan Wake, but have a different main character, I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna be pissed- I hate it when groups do that in an obviously character-centric series.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Virgil said:
I'm calling it right now: Alan Wake Kart
oh yes please. must hold an Escapist wide tournament with that one

and note to self: borrow Alan Wake from friend and play it lol

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Plinglebob said:
I know this probably makes me weird, but I liked it because it was written like a film/book and so would be perfectly happy if they left everything the same and just gave me more story.
Nope, not at all. Or if you're weird, then I'm weird too.

I don't want a prequel, I want to know what happens next. How can you play The Writer and NOT demand a sequel? I hate it when companies go back in time before they finish the story they're working on. The only thing that I will be excited about (not counting a sequel) is if this time, you play as Alice trying to survive in the Darkness.
Ranting aside, whatever this next project is, I'll be picking it up. Must have more Alan Wake.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Plinglebob said:
I'd guess and expand-alone prequal related to Thomas Zane released alongside Alan Wake Collectors Edition on the PC & PS3, but then I'm very boring when guessing things.

googleback said:
I usually enjoy that too, its just here it feels like it needs just that LITTLE bit more.