Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It's a shame, but I thought it may end up like this. The setting and the style caught my attention, but the game-play and trailers did absolutely nothing for me for pretty much the reasons given in the review.

I may pick it up in the future when it's cheaper, but I haven't even gotten around to playing Metro: Last Light yet, and that game seems to deliver on it's promises a lot more.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Such a shame, When I first heard about it I was looking forward to it then I saw a gameplay trailer which looked average and now it seems that has been confirmed. At least it's not terrible so I will probably buy it at when it gets cheaper.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I guess people just too used to 3D now. I remembered those 16bit days where everything was in 2D but they still managed to make games with exploration elements like in super metriod. Now that we got 3D you'd think they'll all adopt the freedom of open world like assassin's creed and GTA. Instead we still get those boring rail shooters and adventure on rails.

It's almost like whoever's making the game isn't respecting the players, they want us to play how THEY want us to play.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.

I am still going to buy the game, and I will probably enjoy it. Been looking forward to it, and the gameplay videos made it look like something I would enjoy.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
dumbseizure said:
I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.
Because experiencing it for myself will cost $50 and eight hours.

Unless you're about to buy me a copy...

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I played the a demo of Remember Me at London Comic Con and I noticed three things:
1. Camera was clunky
2. Exploration was non-existent
3. I freaking loved Neo-Paris!

It's a shame that the game turns out to be so short.
And although I felt it would be rail road-like from fight to fight, I'd hoped there'd be small 'hub' levels that would be open to a little exploration.

I didn't expect this to be Bladerunner with memories but that the obvious traps (repeatative combat, unrealised memory features) were fallen into is such a shame.

A rent is certainly still going to happen though.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The thing that will be upsetting about this game is that everyone will criticize it for the plot, yet the suits in the game industry will twist it and say it failed because it had a female protagonist.
This is coupled by the fact that there was hardly any advertising for it.
Seriously, how many people would've known about this game if it wasn't for the controversy around the dev team almost being forced to change the gender of the main protagonist? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong sites, but I haven't seen so much as a flash advertisement for it. Heck, even I didn't know the name of the game until I had to look up the controversy behind the gender of the protagonist.

On that it's a shame really. I really REALLY like the design of the protagonist. Props to the design team for that.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Also, something to think about, do you guys think that it's short and uninteresting because they didn't get a big budget for leaving the protagonist as female?
I know some Escapist critics have stated, or quoted that game publishers aren't willing to sink nearly as much money into games that feature women as the main characters as their counterparts.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Steam sales seem to be the way to go. I'm kind of interested still, i'd rather have a short and okay story rather than a tedious boring one.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I just hope that if this game doesn't do well it isn't used as an excuse not to have female leads in games.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I can't really say this is a shame or that I'm disappointed, since I didn't really have high hopes for it. Before I even saw or heard of any of the gameplay features, the only news I heard was that the developers were fighting to keep the protagonist female, and more of an everyday type as well instead of a fantasy one. This had me worried, in so much as this large focus on this aspect made me wonder if the game had anything gameplay wise to offer, or if it was trying to distract us with the nature of the protagonist in this industry.

Once gameplay actually came out, everything I saw came with a "...but" The environments looked great and would look great to explore...but how free is the platforming? The memory hacking looks like an interesting diversion/gameplay mechanic that can help pacing...but how will this game make me feel like this is a new mechanic? The combat looks like it could offer some interesting play-styles...but how free is the combat actually?

One last thing before I go; I'm not sure people will chalk this up to "The game failed because of a female protagonist", and I say that because this game coming out so soon to The Last of Us will probably just serve to be that excuse of "The game failed because the publisher was dumb enough to compete with a much more high-profile game" If the female protagonist aspect plays any part, I think it would be "Instead of talking about how good your game is because it has a female protagonist, just focus on making a good game that happens to have a female protagonist"

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Great. Yet another game with other problems that will be spouted out as "proof" that female protagonists don't work. Thanks, Dontnod. Though at least they're trying; sadly, publishers and dudebros won't see it that way.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
This makes me feel like when Pandora tosses me a song that I hate from a band that I love. I don't want to up-vote it, because I don't like the song and don't want to keep hearing it. But I want to hear more from the band on my station, so I want to up-vote it somehow. I just want to "like" part of it, not all of it.

Perhaps I'll play through a few other games in my queue and then pick it up a bit later.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
It sounds to me like the game's only real flaw is that it is an easy game: The combat is easy to spam, the platforming mechanics points its way through the realistic environments...

The only real flaw that is not mechanic based, according to the review, is that the world and story is interesting but you cannot explore more of it. This seems to be a flaw in genre choosing rather than anything else. The only game genre that does allow for free exploration of the world are sandbox and rpg games. Considering that this game has already done so much with the actually having a good story and voice acting I am not going to fault it for being too short and not giving you the freedom of Fallout and GTA and being too easy.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Zhukov said:
dumbseizure said:
Because experiencing it for myself will cost $50 and eight hours.

Unless you're about to buy me a copy...
Hey! Rent rent rent!

As someone in the facebook comment section had said, you may as well rent this one considering how short the game is. It'll just end up being a good deal assuming you think you can sit through it.

OT:
Meh. I'm still going to try it at some point, just won't be an instant "OMGMUSTHAVENOW". At least it wasn't godawful.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dragonbums said:
Also, something to think about, do you guys think that it's short and uninteresting because they didn't get a big budget for leaving the protagonist as female?
I know some Escapist critics have stated, or quoted that game publishers aren't willing to sink nearly as much money into games that feature women as the main characters as their counterparts.
I suspect it had more to do with other aspects of the game's development. It was original a game called Adrift, a game focused on world flooding caused by global warming, and was going to be a PS3 exclusive. That fell through at some point and then memory became the central premise along with Capcom picking up the IP. Even on top of that, the early preview and walkthrough footage made it look to be a much more open world game in development, but I think the devs might have been pressed to finally just get something out there after the game had been in development for 5 years.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
What a shame - this actually looked pretty neat at PAX East and I'm surprised they didn't bring it together the way it should have been. I'll wait for a sale or rental to play it - add it to the pile of games I intend on getting to this summer.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Yuuki said:
ritchards said:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.
The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /
That's the problem, everything I saw on the game was just a group of articles and videos that talked about the whole the publisher wanted to force the developers to make the protagonist male debacle, with only very small bits on what the game was about.

So basically, I feel all the hype was based around the fact the protagonist is female.

People think, "interesting premise plus finally getting another female protagonist that looks reasonable, it must be an amazing game."

In a way, yes the protagonist being female plays a part in the failure, but not by point that the protagonist being female was bad, just that the fact that her being female created so much hype that many people ignored all the other important points on what makes a good game. Justin mentioned that a key problem was the game play. Of course, that is one of the most important parts of any proper game.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I recon I'll pick it up. It looks really fun and yeah the features may not be developed but you know what? I've haven't seen a game with this many unique mechanics in it for a while. And hey, none of them are bad. It still sounds like a good consistent game and that's more than can be said for a lot of games.